I've been playing guitar for about 5 years now, and my first guitar (well, it was my brother's at the time) was an acoustic Yamaha f-335. I still use this acoustic today, and so after 5 years of playing, I think it's time for me to get a new acoustic for Christmas

I've been looking around, and it seems as though this one acoustic called the Seagull "The Original" S6 is getting some ridiculously good reviews. I have found one used around me for $200, and am thinking of picking it up.

What do you guys think of the Seagull S6? Is it really that big of a step up from my Yamaha F-335? Will I notice a positive upgrade in playability and sound?

And if the Seagull isn't the best I can get with the money, what other guitars would you recommend in this price range? I'll have $300 maximum to spend.

Thanks
Gear:
'50s National Archtop
Squier Classic Vibe '60s Tele
Squier Affinity Strat
Gibson Melody Maker
Vox AC-15
50s Stella Parlor Acoustic

MOAR FIRST ACT
I was there
Thanks for the advice!

I just found another acoustic, made by Martin. It's $500 new, but I can probably find it for around $300 used. It's this one:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Martin-DX1-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=514814

Which one would you guys recommend? The Martin DX1 or Seagull S6? (I'm going to try both of them out at my local guitar store).
Gear:
'50s National Archtop
Squier Affinity Strat
Gibson Melody Maker
Vox AC-15

MOAR FIRST ACT
I was there
the seagull s6 is definitely a step above the yamaha f-335 as it has a solid top. so is the yamaha fg720s and the yamaha fg730s. although they're not as easy to find in stores (unless you're in l.a. - then go to mccabe's), i also recommend the blueridge br-40 and br-60, which are good solid top guitars and have a well balanced tone with more bass than the seagulls.
Last edited by patticake at Dec 2, 2009,
thanks for all the adivce guys. I've watched videos of all the guitars mentioned on youtube, and liked the seagull S6 and blueridge BR-40 the most. Now I just need advice about which one is better between these two haha.

Any advice? I'm not sure if my local guitar shop carries blueridge guitars...I know for sure that I can find seagulls around locally though.

edit: I should probably mention that my favorite acoustic players are bob dylan, nick drake, neil young, and the avett brothers. So I want it more for a folk/fingerpicking playing style.
Gear:
'50s National Archtop
Squier Affinity Strat
Gibson Melody Maker
Vox AC-15

MOAR FIRST ACT
I was there
Last edited by ilikeguitar90 at Dec 2, 2009,
it's not a question of better - as always, it's a question of which is better for you. the seagull original s6 has a wider neck - nut is a full 1.8", which is better for fingerpicking for most people. if you prefer a wider nut width and neck, the seagull original s6 (although not the other seagulls) will fill your hand. on the other hand, if you don't prefer a wider neck, you'll need to go with the blueridge between the two or with the seagull s6 slim, which has a slimmer neck.

the blueridge br-40's tone includes more bass, sounds a bit martin-y. a very full sound where seagull sounds brighter and pretty, less bottom end. both sound very good, just different from each other. if you don't have a preference in neck size, this difference is marked, and may make your mind up for you.

seagull has wild cherry back and sides, br-40 has mahogany, br-60 has rosewood. thought i'd throw that in because i like rosewood

some say that the seagull has better build quality. it's possible, but it's not a huge difference. i haven't played a br-40 with intention to buy, so i didn't really notice things like whether the glue is neat on the inside. everything seems good, though, i haven't found issues on the br-40s i've played the way i have on the epiphones.

since i hurt my shoulder, i find the br-40 a little easier on my shoulder - i can play without pain. not sure if it's because of the waist of the guitar, depth of body or what, but thought i'd throw it in.
Last edited by patticake at Dec 2, 2009,
Seagulls kick ass, in fact I got one recently (sadly I can't play it until Christmas though). If you want to save a little bit of money, you could always just get one of the Seagull Entourages, there isn't really that big of a difference in sound since its made from the same wood, it just looks different. Personally I think my Entourage sounds better than the two Original S6's I've played, but that's just a personal opinion.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Last edited by David_Bowie=GOD at Dec 3, 2009,
I also started with a F335 and a Seagull S6 is what I was thinking of getting eventually...maybe in the next year when I feel I progressed enough since I've only been playing for about a year.
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
Just felt that I owe you guys an update for all the advice you have given me:

I went to my local guitar shop for about 3 hours a few days ago and seriously tried out about 35-40 different acoustic guitars...I tried out anything in my price range (anything up to around $600 since I can find those for around 300 used). I played everything from fender, ibanez, epiphone, martin, seagull, takamine, taylor, washburn, blueridge, and even resonator guitars. In the end, the martin DX1 was the best guitar I tried out, bar none.

I went into the shop with the seagull s6 as the guitar I wanted to try and was looking forward to playing, but the martin was much better in my opinion. I tried about 5 different seagull models as well (played a few coastline and entourage series ones as well as the original in both cedar and spruce). I tried really hard to like the seagulls more because of the amazing reviews and cheaper price, but the sound of the martin was just better to my ears.

My brother already owns a martin 000X1, which is also $500, I'm going to try out that model and the DX1 side-by-side and probably get whichever one I like better used from craigslist.

Anyways thanks for the help guys!
Gear:
'50s National Archtop
Squier Affinity Strat
Gibson Melody Maker
Vox AC-15

MOAR FIRST ACT
I was there
Nice update. I'm glad you found a guitar you really like.
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘