Not a gag topic lol. I know my vocals are not good sounding and I cannot figure out why. I'm a decent guitarist of two years but been in music with drums and some piano for like seven. I've sang some but I recently started really singing a couple of months ago. My voice sounds fine to me, but when I play it back...it sucks. I have good posture, I breath from my diaphragm, and I am getting the feeling of a raised palate, all which I believe I show in this video. I just dont get why it is so unpleasant and I'm looking for help.

PS. I know I run out of air during the chorus, and that is just because I have bad asthma and it gets bad later at night. During the day and after I've warmed up a lot I can hold notes a lot longer. Also went slightly off key during the start. My bad! :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AefqfbazwBQ

Edit:Alright. Got some new covers...well cover for now up. Check my profile. I will be putting more and updating.
Last edited by Mekchrious at Dec 10, 2009,
i have the same problem. my vocals sound fine when im singing to myself, and others tell me i sound good, but when i record myself and play it back i sound like shit. i always just chocked it up to shoddy recording equipment, usually just my built in computer mic, since everyone says i sound fine when i sing in front of them
My Gear:
Fender '72 Tele Thinline Deluxe Reissue
Vox Night Train 15W
Hey dude. I honestly think its a confidence issue, you can really tell that your holding back.
Well. Almost nobody sounds good when they're singing that quietly. I assume there's people sleeping in your house?
The camera quality was crap but yes I was singing a bit softly and yes there are people in the house. I probably should've noted that. I will get another video put up tomorrow when I can really belt it out. And I'm not shy I was holding back cause of volume.
If you don't like it, then keep practicing. People tell me the same thing about my guitar playing, but when I go back and listen to the recordings I don't like it that much, so I figure out what I'm doing that I don't like and work through it to improve it. It's probably a bit easier with guitar, but I think the same thing would apply to singing (I sing too).

But still, even if you don't like your singing, do it anyways. Never hold back, and give yourself some credit. Don't let it bring you down!
one important thing to note is that in your own head your voice sounds different than outside it due to the way your head resonates. with people that aren't used to hearing themselves it always sounds bad because it's not what they think they sound like. the only way to get around it is by hearing yourself all the time by singing into a microphone a lot or doing lots of recordings. You eventually get used to it. In fact, I've heard that kids that were always singing into microphones and such when they were little never have that problem later on in life.

anyways, I can tell your voice is probably pretty good when you're not trying to keep it down.

note: I actually hate the sound of my voice as well, it would be ok for country music or southern rock, but I play metal because of that I haven't practiced it much and I'm not very good. I just hate my country accent. I don't hear an accent when I talk, but in a recording...
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Dec 2, 2009,
Quote by viento
grab your balls and sing like a man!

just kidding

I don't know about you but when I grab mine I sound like a 10 year old kid.
Your tone of ur voice is actually not bad.

Sing more dynamically/lively/confident or w/e word you want to give to it.

You'll do fine.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
One thing that helped me most was to sing loud enough. I usually talk in a soft calm voice, but when I sing I just let it all out, and I do better when I'm alone at home cause no one else can hear but me. I'm still working on it though, and still getting used to how I sound when I record myself
its not that bad. i think you just havent been singing long enough. for the most part you were on key. not all the time but enough that your mistakes should go away over time. plus, i think you just arent singing loud enough.
YOU are your biggest critic, man. It's never going to sound like it does in your head. If most other people say it's good, then it's good!
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
In this case I'd say you don't sound particularly good because you're holding back and trying to emulate the other singer too much. Sing with your own voice and try not to listen to yourself.
dude, thats not really singing. thats humming. let it out man. and if youre running out of air, its a support problem.

youre off pitch a few times too.

like your t-shirt.
Esp Eclipse II
Fender Strat LoneStar
Martin D35 Custom Shop
Vox Night Train
Vox Heritage cab 1x12
Quote by Mekchrious
Not a gag topic lol. I know my vocals are not good sounding and I cannot figure out why. I'm a decent guitarist of two years but been in music with drums and some piano for like seven. I've sang some but I recently started really singing a couple of months ago. My voice sounds fine to me, but when I play it back...it sucks. I have good posture, I breath from my diaphragm, and I am getting the feeling of a raised palate, all which I believe I show in this video. I just dont get why it is so unpleasant and I'm looking for help.

PS. I know I run out of air during the chorus, and that is just because I have bad asthma and it gets bad later at night. During the day and after I've warmed up a lot I can hold notes a lot longer. Also went slightly off key during the start. My bad! :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AefqfbazwBQ

it's because you need more experience. don't worry about it...... just keep at it, enjoy it and let yourself develop as a vocalist.
shred is gaudy music
You sound better than most of the amateur band singers I know. Though that's not much of a compliment that should clear my point up a bit.
The only really distracting factor is that you're not singing loud enogh.
A few things here:

Your pitch is mostly decent, and if you have the balls enough to post a YouTube video that exposes your face AND your vocal weaknesses, you also have the balls required to be a singer.

Here's what I see/hear:

- You may or may not be lifting your throat slightly. It doesn't look like you are very much... but it looks like you might be a little. One of the best visual indicators is raised cheekbones.

- You are singing from your throat. You have that almost whispery throat voice that is a common symptom of "don't wake up the folks in the next room" and of untrained rookie singers around the world. Maybe you're breathing from the diaphragm, but you're certainly not supporting the voice with your air.

- One way of getting the sound out of your throat is to aim the voice at the front of the mouth - say, at the back of the front teeth to start.

- To lift the throat, visualize yawning. Try widening the space between the back teeth.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
In addition to the technicalities brought up in this thread, a lot of people here are encountering the first time they have ever heard their voice. Everyone goes through that initial ¨do I really sound like that?¨ stage, and it´s better to do it at home with a recorder rather than doing it live through a foldback, freaking out infront of an audience.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I like your voice, actually

it's pleasant sounding. A few notes were off, but it's better than my voice, that's for sure.

Keep working at it! you're doing good!
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Ugh stupid Youtube has been being gay for me then I'm like Duh! Upload em to here! So from now on gonna put them on my profile here. I have another song up, may get one more tonight. Worked on volume, breathing, keeping face open, cheekbones high, soft palate lifted. I'm still not quite getting the aiming your voice idea, maybe you guys can help. Cheers! And thank you so much everyone you guys have inspired me to start singing again full time.