Hey guys.

So basically my school band's bassist is sick and so i'm filling in for her. So it's not really a gig but still i'm kinds of shitting it as i only ran through the bass line once. It's basically a walking line and goes from e, c, g, f# and then i have to do some improv.

Can anyone recommend some scales to run through for it? I will really appreciate it.

Cheers.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Looks like E minor so that'd be perfect to run through. Word of caution though: you need to know the changes before saying anything. I know lots of songs which use "extra-scalar" chords and staying in a particular scale can sound dissonant. Can you tell us what songs you're playing?
Quote by edgarvanburen
Looks like E minor so that'd be perfect to run through. Word of caution though: you need to know the changes before saying anything. I know lots of songs which use "extra-scalar" chords and staying in a particular scale can sound dissonant. Can you tell us what songs you're playing?

Zombie - The Cranberries.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
OCTAVES, octaves for everything
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
A good rule of thumb in bass playing (or any instrument) is "when in doubt, leave it out".

It looks like you're only playing one song - "Zombie". If you're unsure, just play the eight note roots...

|EEEEEEEE|CCCCCCCC|GGGGGGGG|F#F#F#F#F#F#F#F#|
(E on open E string, C on 3rd fret A string, G on 3rd fret E string, F# on 2nd fret E string).

Play this line through the intro, verses and choruses. There is a bridge (at about 3:55 in the original recording) that goes...

|EEEEEEEE|CCCCCCCC| (skipping the G and F# measures) - it repeats 4 times, but check with your band to see if they play that bridge, and if they do, for how long. If, during the performance, you forget to play the bridge, just keep playing the E-C-G-F# part - it won't be the same, but it won't mess up the harmonic or melodic structure of the song, and it mathematically works out as far as timing goes.

The Cranberries' bassist plays some passing tones and some F#-G turnarounds , but they're ultimately not that important to the song. The bass line in this tune is all about the pulsing eight notes on the roots - that's far more important than the passing tones and scale movement.

I'm not sure what the band wants you to improv on, but if you're not sure, politely decline and play the roots. Timing is always, always more important than the notes.

edgarvanburen's advice is good - practice the E minor scale (E - F# - G - A - B - C - D - E).
And I think xander307 may be kidding with you - don't play octaves on this song. Really.
The chords are Em C G D/F#. Stick with the bass notes, but feel free to add passing tones (you're in the key of Em, so I'd suggest sticking with diatonic approach notes), and you're pretty much good to go.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
This is your time for you to see what you got and test your skills out. The way i look at school band songs is like playing jazz (criticize me if im wrong).Ide say improvise the hell out of the song lol. The typical role bass usually does is keep the pocket along with the drums to keep the song flowing and ballsy if you get what im saying. There is a time and place for you to pull the pocket. If the drums or bass pulls the pocket at the wrong time it really can make the rest of your band look at you like your a dumbass and if you have ever played with a band you will know what i meen. Since initally your not the one keeping the pocket ide so go crazy and be creative. But then again idk what songs your band is playing and i can be completely wrong. Just do whatever you feel comfortable with.
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
Last edited by The1bassist06 at Dec 2, 2009,