Page 1 of 2
First of all guys i'd like to say there is no such thing as the greatest guitar player ever. it simply just does not exist.
now one to my subject.
rolling stone and many have said that hendrix is the greatest guitar player ever. it is well commercialized that this is "true". but why?
well lets nevermind the fact that he bassically invented heavy metal, (showed shredy sound sort of solos such as manic depression and live improvisions, major use of feedback, melothic riffs, laid back songs, intence hard songs, mixing distortion guitar with clean, hitting the low note of a chord then hitting the rest of it, mixing licks with rythym, can't think of anything else but theres more things he invented-inovated). Nevermind the fact he's inspired every great guitar player after him, and even guitar players before.
but because of feeling. he wrote songs using clean guitar, distortion, acoustic.
he wrote songs showing feelings of anger, love, regret, lonliness, horniness, sarrow, depression, etc...
his lyrics were so deep, they would make good poetry without music.
he had a completley original fashion, wich he messed around with alot.
the things in his life, such as women, sci-fi, effected his music more than any musician did.
well... i could probly go on all day about this guy, but think i've made my point.
I disagree with almost everything stated here, and I have a weird feeling you've been playing for less than a year, though I could be wrong.
You basically answered your own question, but i wouldnt say that hendrix 'basically invented heavy metal'
RIP Gooze

cats
Invented heavy metal...... wha...... I'm lost for words, so I'll just say the devil's tritone and point to my two fingered friend from birmingham.
Quote by innertom
um.........no
he didnt invent much of the things you mentioned,

He didn't invent any of the things he mentioned
why did you make this thread?
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
I like Hendrix for the way he could express himself through his music and respect him for the fact that I could never be as good as him.

I've tried really hard not to be an ill-informed fan boy by watching videos and appreciating his quality of guitar playing, in other words you've got to really work for it to be my favorite guitarist.

edit: to TS, it's people like you that piss me off. I truly like Hendrix and since he's the first guitarist you worship you blindly follow whatever he did, at least I know why I like his music, and not just Purple Haze and Voodoo Chile.
No means maybe
Last edited by pilgrimevan at Dec 2, 2009,
yeah, the OP really confused me. It asked a question that's been asked to death and then he answered his question using false information. And then he claimed he made his point clear.

Which then was given a really ugly reception.

This whole thread is strange.
Quote by jemjabella42
People look too much into body language. Sometimes I don't make eye contact with people because they are ugly.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
I disagree with almost everything stated here, and I have a weird feeling you've been playing for less than a year, though I could be wrong.

i've been playing for four years. i've studying music for about 2. i love hendrix, but i listen to band such as black sabbath, kyuss, acid king, eyehategod, black flag, red hot chili peppers, rancid, parliment, sly and the family stone, nirvana, metallica, idk i could name a million. i am very well educated on music i can tell you that hendrix's inspiration on other guitarists after and before him (such as eric clapton, jeff beck) who stated after seeing hendrix kick their ass it really inspired them to do differntly with their music. i know that other guitarists helped in making heavy metal, especially tony iommi who is also one of my favorites, but hendrix played a huge roll in it as well.
Quote by innertom
um.........no
he didnt invent much of the things you mentioned,

if you don't think the invovated and bassically invented those things your obviously not educated enough to say anything on this thread. name a guitarist before him who really tried and did extend the branch on theose techniques on guitar. wait there are none! because hendrix was the first guy to put heavy distortion on his guitar and get famous for it! and what do you need for most of those techniques? HEAVY DISTORTION!. wow you learn something everyday don't ya?!
Quote by MLilienthal
but guys he hits a bass note and then

get this

he hits the rest of the chord
[/SIZE

he was the first to do it, atleast in the manner of intensity he did with.
Quote by pilgrimevan
I like Hendrix for the way he could express himself through his music and respect him for the fact that I could never be as good as him.

I've tried really hard not to be an ill-informed fan boy by watching videos and appreciating his quality of guitar playing, in other words you've got to really work for it to be my favorite guitarist.

edit: to TS, it's people like you that piss me off. I truly like Hendrix and since he's the first guitarist you worship you blindly follow whatever he did, at least I know why I like his music, and not just Purple Haze and Voodoo Chile.

"I truly like Hendrix and since he's the first guitarist you worship you blindly follow whatever he did," that sentence made no sence.
if your saying i don't know anything exept those two songs your wrong because i've heard just about every hendrix song. have you ever heard gypsy blood? yeah it is incomplete but man that song is hard to learn.
Quote by internash7
if you don't think the invovated and bassically invented those things your obviously not educated enough to say anything on this thread. name a guitarist before him who really tried and did extend the branch on theose techniques on guitar. wait there are none! because hendrix was the first guy to put heavy distortion on his guitar and get famous for it! and what do you need for most of those techniques? HEAVY DISTORTION!. wow you learn something everyday don't ya?!

Hendrix did not have 'heavy' distortion

You do not need heavy distortion for most of the things you mentioned

Do you have any idea how long guitar has been around?
I really don't think you do
Apparently you are well educated in music and you try to show this by listing off a bunch of extremely generic rock/pop bands
I don't really understand that but I can tell you that electric guitar is a very new instrument and predecessors of the guitar itself have been around for hundreds of years
there is nothing that hendrix did that hasn't been done
as a matter of fact he developed his style by listening to delta blues artists and music from childrens television shows
do you honestly think he just came out of nowhere and invented a slew of techniques and sounds that have never been done?
Even his stage antics like playing behind his head were being done by slaves in the early 1900's

For the record I am a hendrix fan, but for none of the reasons you mentioned (technique-wise anyway)
Quote by internash7
he was the first to do it, atleast in the manner of intensity he did with.

Ever listen to Jazz, Mr Educated in music, pedal tones have been used in music for centuries Jazz didn't even do it first. Hendrix may of used all those things but he didn't invent them.
Quote by Forkman
Oh God, close this thread before it becomes a massive useless argument.

yeah people are quit ignorant.
are we talking classic rock only? because id have to say joe pass plays the blues alot better than jimi did, as well as have much better harmony overall (although i dont know how well he could hit a low note and then the rest of the chord! that shit's real)

lol. jimi was a bit of a blues player. heavy metal has nothing to do with blues, how did he invent heavymetal? iommi used the blues scale, big deal, that doesnt make you blues.

wow, heavy distortion. dont you get it? its a ****ing gimmick, its nothing to do with the actual music. why dont we talk about people like wes montgomery and django that actually invented a style rather than bastardize the blues?

you dont need distortion for any of that shit. i dont know who taught you your music but they did a dud job brotha
Quote by MLilienthal
Apparently you've never heard of chuck berry either; odd for someone so 'educated' in music

you have to admit he sure knows alot about melothic stuff
I personnely believe that Hendrix was the best Guitar player ever. But all that is, is my opinion those lists are so bullsh*t who are they to say who is and who isn't the greatest guitarists in the world. And they all seem to go on popularity I mean I saw a list just the other day and it had Kurt Cobain at like 12 yet Randy Rhoads at like 75 or something and Eddie at like 70 or something I mean how the hell does that work?
Quote by internash7
First of all guys i'd like to say there is no such thing as the greatest guitar player ever. it simply just does not exist.
now one to my subject.
rolling stone and many have said that hendrix is the greatest guitar player ever. it is well commercialized that this is "true". but why?
well lets nevermind the fact that he bassically invented heavy metal, (showed shredy sound sort of solos such as manic depression and live improvisions, major use of feedback, melothic riffs, laid back songs, intence hard songs, mixing distortion guitar with clean, hitting the low note of a chord then hitting the rest of it, mixing licks with rythym, can't think of anything else but theres more things he invented-inovated). Nevermind the fact he's inspired every great guitar player after him, and even guitar players before.
but because of feeling. he wrote songs using clean guitar, distortion, acoustic.
he wrote songs showing feelings of anger, love, regret, lonliness, horniness, sarrow, depression, etc...
his lyrics were so deep, they would make good poetry without music.
he had a completley original fashion, wich he messed around with alot.
the things in his life, such as women, sci-fi, effected his music more than any musician did.
well... i could probly go on all day about this guy, but think i've made my point.

quoting this so you can't edit out the stupidity
Quote by motoko
are we talking classic rock only? because id have to say joe pass plays the blues alot better than jimi did, as well as have much better harmony overall (although i dont know how well he could hit a low note and then the rest of the chord! that shit's real)

lol. jimi was a bit of a blues player. heavy metal has nothing to do with blues, how did he invent heavymetal? iommi used the blues scale, big deal, that doesnt make you blues.

wow, heavy distortion. dont you get it? its a ****ing gimmick, its nothing to do with the actual music. why dont we talk about people like wes montgomery and django that actually invented a style rather than bastardize the blues?

you dont need distortion for any of that shit. i dont know who taught you your music but they did a dud job brotha

dude heavy metal In other words is hard blues rock. look it up man. well i can give u a short lesson. who finally put the "heavy" in metal? probly tony iommi. i've been playing iommis music for a while, and all he uses is blues scales licks, hes a basically a blues player. yet hes heavy metal. don't speak until you do some research.
Quote by MLilienthal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV9UgzWFbnI
The man who arranged this for guitar was born in 1852

how old is hendrix again?

when i said, in this matter, i ment in hard rock/ blues rock. i am fully aware that guitarists have used it before him its not like it wan super hard to figure out.
Quote by motoko
quoting this so you can't edit out the stupidity

wow i've taken hours of my life reading and studying and playing old blues and rock music, and im stupid. yet you make a wise crack at me, and know, YOUR JUST GLEAMING WITH KNOWLEDGE!
Quote by MLilienthal
Apparently you've never heard of chuck berry either; odd for someone so 'educated' in music

oh yeah chuck berry wow NEVER HEARD OF HIM! god hes just gotta be so obscure, wow! its not like music historians hasn't stated that he crossed blues into early rock music. too bad i don't know that!
Quote by mess4sam
I personnely believe that Hendrix was the best Guitar player ever. But all that is, is my opinion those lists are so bullsh*t who are they to say who is and who isn't the greatest guitarists in the world. And they all seem to go on popularity I mean I saw a list just the other day and it had Kurt Cobain at like 12 yet Randy Rhoads at like 75 or something and Eddie at like 70 or something I mean how the hell does that work?

why kurt cobain is ahead of alot more "skilled" guitar players is because is not a sport. cobain changed music for the early ninties giving bands like rage against the machine, rancid, pearl jam, alice in chains, and alot of once "strictly underground" bands a change in the overground.
Quote by internash7
dude heavy metal In other words is hard blues rock. look it up man. well i can give u a short lesson. who finally put the "heavy" in metal? probly tony iommi. i've been playing iommis music for a while, and all he uses is blues scales licks, hes a basically a blues player. yet hes heavy metal. don't speak until you do some research.

retard

if metal has anything to do with blues, wheres the blue notes over the top of dominant chords? where's the 12 bar blues? where is shuffle?

he's not a ****ing blues player, he's a metal player. muddy waters is a blues player.

do you even know what a blue note is? if you knew anything about the blues youd know its not just a simple blues scale.
Quote by motoko
retard

if metal has anything to do with blues, wheres the blue notes over the top of dominant chords? where's the 12 bar blues? where is shuffle?

he's not a ****ing blues player, he's a metal player. muddy waters is a blues player.

do you even know what a blue note is? if you knew anything about the blues youd know its not just a simple blues scale.

i wansn't saying it was traditional blues, but here is a very strong influence. is there was no such thing as blues there would be no rock, or heavy metal. and yes if you anylyze his music hes licks and solos are very blusey and blues influenced. and those are just the facts, not my opinions.
Quote by internash7
why kurt cobain is ahead of alot more "skilled" guitar players is because is not a sport. cobain changed music for the early ninties giving bands like rage against the machine, rancid, pearl jam, alice in chains, and alot of once "strictly underground" bands a change in the overground.

And did Eddie not influence anything or change the shape of music? He influenced thousands of Guitarists. Randy changed rock by adding a more classical element. But at the end of the day they could still play circles around kurt.
stupid thread is stupid,
no one player is the best. they all have strenghts and weaknesses
music is a form of art, ask someone (who know anything about art) who the best painter of all time is and they will tell you no one is the best.

you can have your opinion but dont just make shit up to try and justify it.
and if your as educated as you say you are youd no this already and youd no what a bass strum is
Quote by internash7
i wansn't saying it was traditional blues, but here is a very strong influence. is there was no such thing as blues there would be no rock, or heavy metal. and yes if you anylyze his music hes licks and solos are very blusey and blues influenced. and those are just the facts, not my opinions.

so find me some examples and stop talking out of your ass

btw a simple 'HE USED THE BLUES SCALE' doesnt make heavy metal = hard blues rock buddy.
Quote by mess4sam
And did Eddie not influence anything or change the shape of music? He influenced thousands of Guitarists. Randy changed rock by adding a more classical element. But at the end of the day they could still play circles around kurt.

all 3 of them are terrible, its just that kurt cobain is ridiculously terrible in comparison to the huge amount of fame he has
Page 1 of 2