A couple of friends and I went to the gym two days ago to lift waits. This was my first time lifting weights (eh shut up, i'm 15). Everything went well, and I didn't feel too tired or sore afterwords.

The next day, my arms felt just a little bit sore, especially when I stretched them out all the way. I figured this was normal and it didn't bother me. Last night, I realized my left arm is a lot worse then my right arm. It really hurts to stretch out, and it feels like my muscles are actually resisting me stretching them out. I realize feeling a little sore after working out is normal, but not this much.

What can I do to make my arms feel better and heal quickly, and how can I prevent this the next time I go to the gym?

edit: lol @ me writing waits instead of weights. I wrote this right after I woke up.
Last edited by IcePh0enix at Dec 2, 2009,
Strechings is irrelevant, you get sore for two reasons: You're new to the exercise and you didn't recover well (by eating I assume).

Go to the exercise and nutrition thread.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
It's supposed to be like that after an extended period of having not lifted. Keep lifting and you will not be sore anymore. After a couple of days of good lifting you wont be sore at all (unless it's IMMEDIATELY following a workout...although that shouldn't be sore so much as wearied).
What is mountains? A mountains has no special shapes or sound!

Epic Chill Broseph Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join.

The first time is always the worst, the microfibres in your muscles are completely loose and unadapted to physical strain so therefore tighten up radically when you first begin lifting.

This means that you will see very quick improvements when you begin, but at the same time your recovery rate will be very poor and you will ache for days after (if your lifts are strenuous)

Ease into a session routine and make sure that you warm up and down after each session.
Guitar - The true Religion
Get some whey protein, and warm up before lifting weights
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
Quote by IcePh0enix
A couple of friends and I went to the gym two days ago to lift waits.

um... wat?

but seriously, it'll take some getting used to if it's you first time. just make sure you eat enough protein etc. and stretch/hydrate after training.
You are obviously very weak. You need to lift heavier weights....
I did not get my Spaghetti-O's, I got spaghetti. I want the press to know this.
Executed by injection, Oklahoma.
~~ Thomas J. Grasso, d. March 20, 1995.

Lyrics/Poetry

Fires Burning
Eat some proteins and take a few days off until you're not sore again. If you really kill your muscles and you're not used to working out, it could take over a week until the soreness is gone. Once you get used to it, you'll be recovering within about 48 hours generally.

Make sure you get enough sleep, eat proteins ( meat, eggs, nuts, etc.) and most importantly, ease into things. Taking it slow for the 1st couple workouts will limit soreness and you'll get used to it fast.
I'm a rockstar without the skills, fame, or income.

Washington Redskins
Last edited by beastiebeatles at Dec 2, 2009,
Quote by IcePh0enix
A couple of friends and I went to the gym two days ago to lift waits. This was my first time lifting weights (eh shut up, i'm 15). Everything went well, and I didn't feel too tired or sore afterwords.

The next day, my arms felt just a little bit sore, especially when I stretched them out all the way. I figured this was normal and it didn't bother me. Last night, I realized my left arm is a lot worse then my right arm. It really hurts to stretch out, and it feels like my muscles are actually resisting me stretching them out. I realize feeling a little sore after working out is normal, but not this much.

What can I do to make my arms feel better and heal quickly, and how can I prevent this the next time I go to the gym?

Lactic acid hit you got from working out as well as a jolt for your muscles (because working out tears the muscles and rebuilds them) that they're not conditioned to.
Just going to have to wait it out. Best option you can take is to up the protein intake in your diet to help with recovery.

Your first time lifting weights you'll be sore for a while. Depending on how heavy you lift, and how strong you are, it'll vary. I started weights again this year after an 18 month break because of various injuries, and I still lifted relatively well but was sore for more than a week. I just had a 6 week break from weights for exams and i'm still sore from the first workout.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
It's always like that if you haven't done it in a while. Just stretch before and after and then if it still hurts the next day just make sure you wait until it gets better before lifting again.

Oh and your left arm probably hurts more because you right arm's stronger because... you know
Hi! I'm Andrew, and when I have a bubble in my throat I sound like Alan Rickman!

I have the BEST Jizz Face on UG!

My YouTube Channel (slowmotion stuff!): www.youtube.com/wannabeguitarlegend