i have a vox night train.

and i have a 2x12 cab which is loaded with 1 Governor (8ohms) and 1 Cannabis Rex (8ohms).

The Governor is rated at 75 watts.
The Cannabis Rex is rated at 50 watts.

Sometimes i like to run speakers individually and hear them alone.

My worry is this: on the GG&A sticky, Dave_Mc stated that the amp might be rated at 15 watts, but that might mean 15 watts BEFORE distortion. In normal operation, the amp might be putting out much more wattage than that.

My question is this: how many watts more than 15 watts is my night train actually putting out when the volume knob is say... about 11 o clock?

If i do exceed to rating of any one of my speakers (assuming im running them individually), what is supposed to happen?
It wont exceed 50 watts, in terms of speakers you probably want a speaker with at least 20 watts more handling capability than the RMS rating of your amp just to be in the clear. You're probably looking at around 20 watts max when cranked.

At 11oclock i doubt its even putting out 15.
Last edited by beckyjc at Dec 2, 2009,
you should be fine. Speakers (should be) rated conservatively, and your 2x12 should have 100 watts power handling capability (the load is split evenly between the speakers, so you multiply the lowest-rated speaker by 2 to get the power handling).

EDIT: misread your post. even individually, it should be fine.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i though the signal that actually use to power the cab is only 2-3w and the rest is heat.....

prove me wrong
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Quote by O.O Meow O.O
i though the signal that actually use to power the cab is only 2-3w and the rest is heat.....

prove me wrong

learn proper grammar and i'll consider it.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by O.O Meow O.O

prove me wrong

I think you mean the sound power coming out of the cab is only a watt or so, the rest is heat caused by speaker inefficiency.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
Don't worry so much, and trust theb ratings a bit more.

Both speakers and amps are rated for continuous/RMS power, rather than peak, and it really doesn't matter if your amp is putting out more than the official rating - the speakers can handle it.
You should be fine. I've had my Night Train cranked all the way up going through my 1x12 cabinet when I had an Eminence Private Jack in it (now I got the Man O War back in there)...the Private Jack is only rated at 50watts and I never had a problem with it...other than I liked the sound of the Man O War better