i've joined a band a few weeks ago as their second guitarist and have spent the last couple of weeks learning the songs.
and we've reached a point where we would like to start shaping the sound and lay out of the songs, so.....
what i was thinking was, if i got hold of a tascam DP-004 and recorded the sessions through 2 mics would the sound be any good? that way everyone can brun a copy off a pc and and have time to listen to the songs and form ideas before the next session. also.....if we mic'd up the drums and and got our drummer to play to the pre recorded sessions would the sound quality be good enough to form the start of a demo? if i have a good recording of the drum tracks i can use my line6 sound card to record the rest of the band at home and not have to pay out for an over priced demo, we could take as long as we liked and get the songs we've been writing the way they're meant to be.

sorry if my question isn't that clear, cause i have no clue what i'm on about.
please help me with some advice.
thanks
With a 4 track you can bounce the tracks don onto single tracks, I think The Beatles were a band who did this as 4 track was only available at the time, so record the drums using 4 mics if possible:

Kick
Snare
Overhead Left
Overhead Right

and bounce them all down onto one track
record your rhythm guitar tracks and bounce them down onto one track.
Bass and lead guitar might want to be on one track
leaving 4th track for vocals.

It's not as efficient as getting hold of a DAW and having as many tracks as you want in theory but could work. I hope I was helpful!
Quote by jailedmenonly
With a 4 track you can bounce the tracks don onto single tracks, I think The Beatles were a band who did this as 4 track was only available at the time, so record the drums using 4 mics if possible:

Kick
Snare
Overhead Left
Overhead Right

and bounce them all down onto one track
record your rhythm guitar tracks and bounce them down onto one track.
Bass and lead guitar might want to be on one track
leaving 4th track for vocals.

It's not as efficient as getting hold of a DAW and having as many tracks as you want in theory but could work. I hope I was helpful!

cheers dude. the plan is to record the drums take it home put the wav into reaper and record the rest at home.
just hope the sound is pretty good cause i want it to sound good.
From a 4 track recorder it'll take experience, patience and time. If you have none of these it could be a disaster!
i think it'll only record from 2 sources at a time so could i mic up the drums with 2 mics?
its possible yeah, it'll just be rubbish for isolation. If you want to do it that way to get the whole kit in you'd be best off just having two overheads.
i guess i could run it through the mixer in the room that way i could get more mics in. would that work?
Should work fine as long as you set the levels right. It might not be a balanced input though, make sure you're running XLR - XLR into your mixer for best signal and a left + right stereo output to your 2 channels on the multitrack for highest quality possible.