I'm just woundering what all I should learn and or start with? I need some suggestions on licks and things like that. I'm practicing 12 bar and have most of the minor pentatonic learn. I'd like to start making up my own stuff as in licks and solos .I've been looking at some SRV, ZZ top, John Mayer, and stuff like that so any help would be great. Thanks
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight
Focusing on rhythm guitar is good for a start.

For lead guitar, it's often more about expression (dynamics, bends, slides, pauses) than just the melody. You can play a cool two note lick for great effect instead of playing 20 notes as fast as possible.

Look out for blues guitar books that teach you the basics, or ones that just have a collection of 10 tabs of well-known blues songs.

I play a few SRV songs like Texas Flood and Scuttle Buttin which aren't easy to play fast if you're a beginner guitarist but still worth working through pieces of them. They are very good for getting your mind around playing chromatically (what appears to be out of tune but still fits) and the major minor ambiguity. e.g. bass plays an Emajor line while guitar plays Eminor pentantonic scale and sometimes puts in a G# or C#. A
lso SRV and others tend to bend the 3rd slightly sharp, ie. bend the G up a quartertone halfway to G#, in a song of Emajor or Eminor key.

Look up some Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, BB King. Their songs can be tough, so maybe learn a few intros or licks from their songs.
Or search the web for "BB King box" which is his style of pentatonic scale. Or "easy Eric Clapton licks"
I'll just leave one piece of advice: A 3-note lick can be played in a hundred different ways. It's the subtle change in vibrato, or the bend that bends slower or later than you'd expect it, it's the subtle differences that make your improvisations sound good and interesting.
Quote by Captain Panda
I'll just leave one piece of advice: A 3-note lick can be played in a hundred different ways. It's the subtle change in vibrato, or the bend that bends slower or later than you'd expect it, it's the subtle differences that make your improvisations sound good and interesting.

Yeah i do notice that some of the greats aren't playing like 500 notes sometimes its just the same like 2 notes but it sounds GREAT! But they do have the ability to shred it out... which also sounds great. But i do hear this concept of 3 note licks alot? I also heard that like getting like Lick dvds are supposed to expend what we can do, anyone know?