Poll: What wars would you be willing to fight in?
Poll Options
View poll results: What wars would you be willing to fight in?
Iraq War (current)
62 15%
Afghan War
78 19%
Iraq War (first one)
58 14%
Vietnam War
54 13%
WWII
225 54%
WWI
101 24%
Civil War
81 19%
War of Independence
118 28%
Spanish Civil War
68 16%
None
156 37%
Voters: 417.
Page 1 of 5
Hopefully what is a slightly fresh spin on a rather over-done thread, what wars (current and historical) would you have no (ethical) problem fighting in? I was reading an article about the proposed raising of troop numbers in Afghanistan and don't think I'd really mind helping fuck up the Taliban.
I might miss a few out and the poll's gonna be dominated by more recent conflicts.

This counts for either side. Specify if you think it's relevant. The War of Independence is the American War of Independence.

The Spanish Civil War might seem a weird choice but a lot of British and other Europeans went to Spain to fight the fascists (such as Ernest Hemingway).
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Last edited by Meths at Dec 2, 2009,
Depends what side I'd be on, really.
By and large, I'd have no ethical problem fighting anyone who invaded where I live.
Except the Afghan war isn't about f*cking up the Taliban. It's a neo-imperialist exercise in nation-control and gun-barrel democracy.

So far I have seen very very few conflicts I would have no ethical problem in fighting in since all violence breeds only violence, and those who advocate war seek to control people. It's a fundamental denial of basic human rights, freedoms and values.
WW2, if I got to be in the SAS.

But none, really.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
The war on drugs. On the drugs side.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
Who's civil war? Whichever country we're in?

English Civil War (1641-51 for those that don't know), I'd probably side with the Roundheads. Democracy ftw.

I wouldn't have an ethical problem with fighting for Britannia in WWII, but I don't know enough about the others tbh.
Quote by blue_strat

English Civil War (1641-51 for those that don't know), I'd probably side with the Roundheads. Democracy ftw.

I wouldn't have an ethical problem with fighting for Britannia in WWII, but I don't know enough about the others tbh.

Ah, I forgot about that one. Yeah, I'd fight for the Roundheads. It was originally supposed to be the American war but either's good.

Quote by dhutton
none.

also, you might want to mention that most of these were american wars.

Most UGers are American, it was deliberate. They'd get confused if I mentioned the Boer, Opium or Crimean wars.

Quote by neopowell
The war on drugs. On the drugs side.

+1
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Out of that list, the Spanish Civil War, mainly because I know and dislike the outcome of it. I'd certainly have no problem with fighting for the Republicans.
🙈 🙉 🙊
I'm incredibly anti-war, so none.
??? Fund: cba to keep up with it.
will at least try when I get a jerb
੧_\\\

yours,

Alex (mcfreaki)
Quote by Kensai
WW2, if I got to be in the SAS.

But none, really.

GEEK ALERT

the SAS wasnt formed properly till 1947.

sorry for pissing on your bonfire
If its Illegal to Rock N Roll.........Throw my Ass in Jail!

Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha yes I recognize you mate!

WWII, and the other side would have to tear my body into pieces to have a chance to stop me, I would never surrender. So much for the ridiculous stereotype on French being cowards that emerged when the Germans steamrolled us Blitzkrieg style.
---

"L'esclave parfait est celui qui croit être libre."

---
Quote by blue_strat

What about the War of the Roses?

House of Lancaster FTW!
Quote by kickstartkiss
GEEK ALERT

Quote by Wiki
The Special Air Service is the army component of the UK Special Forces. The regiment was formed in 1941 as a commando force operating behind enemy lines during the war in North Africa. Since then, it has become the model upon which many other countries have based their own special forces units.

It operated as the Long Range Desert Group in North Africa.
Quote by kickstartkiss
GEEK ALERT

The SAS was a unit of the British Army during World War II formed in 1941 by David Stirling as a commando force operating behind enemy lines during the war in North Africa and Europe. It was officially disbanded on November 30, 1946. In 1947 the Artists Rifles regiment was remodelled as the nucleus of the reformed Special Air Service.

Also

http://www.sasregiment.org.uk/ww2.html
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I'd go with the Winter War if it existed in the poll. SO, I'll just choose WWII, but in the finland's side ofc.
Fight the evolution, play large intervals!
I would want to fight under/as Napoleon. Or even better just as the french revolutionists. They had a ideas that needed to be spread.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
The world wars, and i also checke War of Independance (but i would be on the British side :p) and also, cos i would have been up for the Scottish Wars of Independance.
Land of my high endeavor,
Land of the shining river,
Land of my heart forever,
Scotland the brave
I'd fight in WWII as the Allies,

The Independance war as the colonists or w/e they were called

Vietnam as the vietnamese
DeVillains!
Nam, good music
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
Quote by Neo Evil11
I would want to fight under/as Napoleon. Or even better just as the french revolutionists. They had a ideas that needed to be spread.
Maybe a young Napoleon, and not in Egypt. Italy perhaps.
Quote by MightyAl
It operated as the Long Range Desert Group in North Africa.

as a regiment i said, i was pretty clear

i know it was around, but only as a unit. all your sources reference them as operating as a unit in WW2, not a full regement
If its Illegal to Rock N Roll.........Throw my Ass in Jail!

Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha yes I recognize you mate!

Last edited by kickstartkiss at Dec 2, 2009,
War of independence and the world wars. I agree with the whole free the slaves thing, but I wouldn't fight for it, for many reasons, mostly about me not wanting to die. Independence and fighting against potential threats? sure.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
As much as I would hate it, I would probably have felt duty-bound to fight in the World Wars. Moreso the Second; it seems to be the most morally justifiable. I'm against violence and capital punishment and just killing in general in most cases, but if I came across a bunch of Einsatzgruppen executing Jews, I would have no qualms with killing them.

I probably would have fought in the United Irish Rebellion in 1798, and possibly taken part in the Easter Rising, both on the part of the Republicans; but I would never become involved in any of the subsequent violence in Ireland. No "nationalism" is worth that amount of bloodshed, IMO.

More than anything though, I wish born as a Native American, because I would gladly kill every bastard white man who stole their land and killed them because of shameless greed and western arrogance.
Quote by Zoot Allures
'there never was a war worth fighting' - Bill Hicks.

I guess Bill Hicks never saw panzer tanks aiming at his house.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by Nietsche
The Spanish Civil war because I'm a dirty communist

That was a shitty war though, and you probably would have been killed =/
I'd take WWII in a relatively boring theater, like N Africa during Operation Torch and S Italy, places where I wouldn't get killed too fast.
Quote by Pagan-Pie
That was a shitty war though, and you probably would have been killed =/

would've been cool to see the collectivised industry in catalonia while it lasted. Plus I could have bumped into Orwell somewhere along the way. But above all else I could shoot me a couple of fascists and/or stalinists
World War II - For 2 reasons

1. I'm British and would fight to protect our country if it was under threat

2. It was against an extremely right wing and murderous regime
I have awesome hair
WW2 Allies..

Probably the only good 'modern' war if you could call wars good..
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.
Hemingway was about as American as they come. Anyway, World War I if I had a guarantee I wouldn't end up in the trenches. Which is a pretty big if.
Listen to mah discs.

And coming soon, THE CLEVER DEVILS VS. THE BLONDES.

Vote for me in the
Quote by Meths
I was reading an article about the proposed raising of troop numbers in Afghanistan and don't think I'd really mind helping fuck up the Taliban.

I never though you would have said that.

It's an interesting question, I do think that if I were around in the First World War that I would have been sucked into enlisting, one way or another. If I were around in the Second World War, I wouldn't have had a choice, but I do think I would have been more ready and willing to fight then.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Most of the wars that England was involved in and where a draft was called, if a draft was looking likely i would join a bit beforehand because otherwise i think draftees weren't quite as well trained as the soldiers who were already there.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Page 1 of 5