I am looking for a new distortion pedal but i have no idea what to get. I play a lot of rock, metal, and stuff close to that. My budget is up to about 100$.
I heard metal zone is a good brand but I am still clueless. A multi use one would be great thing also, so I can get a lot of different distortions. I am new in this area so i am comletly clueless.
'09er
Quote by aaciseric

I hate you too much to be able to answer this thread properly. You misleading swine.

Quote by HeavyReverb

you dont win. f^cking 09er

Quote by emad
Morello Wannabe
Post back and I'll temporary ban you.
Screw the Metalzone. I'd get the Barber Dirty Bomb Distortion, though it's not optimal.

If you can stretch your budget, I'd really go for the Tech 21 Sansamp GT-2. Maybe go used?

The Tech 21 Sansamp GT-2 will do everything that you listed, and in my opinion is your best choice.
Last edited by DIMEBAGLIVEDON at Dec 2, 2009,
What is your amp, and what kinds of bands do you want to base your tone off of?
Why not save your money and get something decent?
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Dirty Bomb owns ALL. Especially for the price. BUT it is also amp dependant...what amp do you use?
TS, what major city is closest to you?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Satch-Vai-Slash
Hardwire Metal Distortion

This.

The TL-2 Metal Distortion by Digitech is perfect for your price range.
Quote by Marky_Strummer
Blackstar HT Dist/DistX mayhaps?

Yeah that would be my other vote. They are around $50 more, if you can save a little longer or bit the bullet then it would be worth it.
K if it helps the closest guitar shop is Georges Guitar center in Jacksonville, i play with a Line Six Spider 15, the sound i want to emulate is anything that cn be metal that is why I want a pedal that can achieve a lot of different sounds

So far ive seen:
Tech 21 transamp Gt-2
TL-2 Metal Distortion by Digitech
Blackstar HT Dist/DistX*

My budget can be a little flexible but i am still in the dark on all of this
I looked around in the internet and have decided that the Blackstar is way out of my price range so now its down to the tech 21, hard wire, or digitech. unless you people think somthing else is better.
'09er
Quote by aaciseric

I hate you too much to be able to answer this thread properly. You misleading swine.

Quote by HeavyReverb

Quote by emad
Morello Wannabe
Last edited by Morello Wannabe at Dec 4, 2009,
Quote by Morello Wannabe
K if it helps the closest guitar shop is Georges Guitar center in Jacksonville, i play with a Line Six Spider 15, the sound i want to emulate is anything that cn be metal that is why I want a pedal that can achieve a lot of different sounds

So far ive seen:
Tech 21 transamp Gt-2
TL-2 Metal Distortion by Digitech
Blackstar HT Dist/DistX

My budget can be a little flexible but i am still in the dark on all of this
thanks

Line 6 Spider? Forget it. No pedals will sound nice through that amp. No bandwaggoning here, I have tried it.

You should sell that Spider, use the pedal money you saved + revenue from selling the amp and fund that towards a new amp that will sound WORLDS better than a Spider + distortion pedal.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Quote by HellBoy9393
Line 6 Spider? Forget it. No pedals will sound nice through that amp. No bandwaggoning here, I have tried it.

You should sell that Spider, use the pedal money you saved + revenue from selling the amp and fund that towards a new amp that will sound WORLDS better than a Spider + distortion pedal.

ilooked through reviews and they said it sounded great through shitty amps so.... maybe not. only if it does sound like shit then i will get a new one.
'09er
Quote by aaciseric

Quote by HeavyReverb

Quote by emad
Morello Wannabe
Quote by Morello Wannabe
ilooked through reviews and they said it sounded great through shitty amps so.... maybe not. only if it does sound like shit then i will get a new one.

The problem here is that the Spider is a modelling amp. Modelling amps are designed to be able to emulate sounds on their own. That's not your biggest problem though. The biggest problem is that the Spider is solid state. Running a dirt pedal through a solid state will cause it to clip. It will not sound good, at all.

If you want to experiment, go ahead, but just be warned you will probably want to return it a few days later.

EDIT: what reviews were you looking at?
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

Last edited by HellBoy9393 at Dec 4, 2009,
As much as I love modelers I have to agree with that. My AD30VT supposedly took pedals very well, but it didn't stack with the gain on the models well at all.

I've no idea why that is either, which bothers me.
Last edited by GURREN LAGANN at Dec 4, 2009,
OP - Those are some great pedals but you're much better off saving up for a better amp first. Getting a nice pedal and putting it through your current amp will pretty much defeat it's purpose.

It's like playing football in a wheelchair - it handicaps you.
ya, i use to own the line 6 75HD 1/2 stack.. god it was awfull, i tryed my Metal zone MT-2 through it... HORRIDE!!!! OMG it was so bad... Spiders do not like pedals at all.

isn`t the Insane channel good enuff LOL, that channel is pretty brutal, but ya i`d save for a new amp.

don`t really know what amp to recommed though, since all the amps i know of are way over what you can afford

see if you can find a really cheap used Marshall JCM
Quote by HellBoy9393
The problem here is that the Spider is a modelling amp. Modelling amps are designed to be able to emulate sounds on their own. That's not your biggest problem though. The biggest problem is that the Spider is solid state. Running a dirt pedal through a solid state will cause it to clip. It will not sound good, at all.

If you want to experiment, go ahead, but just be warned you will probably want to return it a few days later.

EDIT: what reviews were you looking at?

not quite. using something that actually boosts your signal, like a tubescreamer or a BD2, in the same way you boost a tube amp (Volume maxed and low gain) will cause clipping. a distortion pedal clips the signal inside the pedal before it is sent to the amp.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by )(yperX
OP - Those are some great pedals but you're much better off saving up for a better amp first. Getting a nice pedal and putting it through your current amp will pretty much defeat it's purpose.

It's like playing football in a wheelchair - it handicaps you.

Hey, you can play football in a wheelchair, just rig a V-8 to the back of it to give you some speed and put a spiked bumper on the front

But yeah, you should save up for a decent, or half way decent amp. But if you must then a Hardwire TL-2 pedal is prolly the best option to look at, I'm actually looking at one right now.
TS, if you're looking for a new distortion pedal and are interested in the ones that have been said already, upgrade your amp first. Most likely you'll run those pedals through the clean channel of your Spider, and quite honestly, it'll suck.

I went into my local shop and wanted to try the Jemini, and the storeowner (expecting to make a sale) said, "DON'T for any reason plug that into a MODELLING AMP"
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
Quote by HellBoy9393
d to be able to emulate sounds on their own. That's not your biggest problem though. The biggest problem is that the Spider is solid state. Running a dirt pedal through a solid state will cause it to clip. It will not sound good, at all.

What? No. This is wrong on several counts. First off a modelling amp isn't the same as an SS amp. Really I wish people would stop classifying them as so. They convert the signal to a digital one and can do all sorts of things you generally can't with an analogue SS circuit. If you program it not to have SS clipping, it won't.

Also, SS amps don't clip like you're probably taught in Signal Theory 101. Transistors in theory have a certain point at which they have "harsh" square wave clipping as opposed to a tube(keep in mind distortion also happens earlier with a tube) but generally circuits are designed to not let that happen. Otherwise how would pedals like Tube Screamers work, which use SS clipping to produce tube-like tones? FETs which are more commonly used these days also produce tube-like harmonics.

And on the third count, "harsh" clipping doesn't always sound awful as it's what some fuzz pedals do.

And fourthly that's not how OD pedals work anyway. They don't have to boost the volume of your signal.
For what it's worth I'm using a Hardwire CM-2 to boost my practice amp (a Peavey Bandit 112) and it noticeably improves it's tone.
Looks like I got owned..twice.

Point is, Spider's suck with or without pedals. Just get a new amp .
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by HellBoy9393
Looks like I got owned..twice.

Point is, Spider's suck with or without pedals. Just get a new amp .

It's okay as long as you realise it and read up a bit more... you're right but for the wrong reasons, modelers don't tend to take pedals well. Don't know why really though. My Microcube is pretty decent with pedals. Depends on which one.