I'm wanting to learn to play guitar but am kinda overwhelmed with choices. I obviously don't want to spend a fortune on my first guitar but want good quality. I'm looking for a electric that will run me no more then $300.

One that has caught my attention is a ESP LTD Viper 50 which would run about $250.

Are there any other good guitars in my price range that you would recommend?

Also, I am looking for an amp. I don't want to spend anymore then $150 on the amp. I have read good reviews on a Peavey Vypyr 15 that would run about $100.

Again are there any in that price range that you could recommend me?

Thanks in advance.
I like the peavey vyper, thats what i demo (most) guitars with at guitar center.

Never played the guitar, although ESP is a very well reputed name
❒ Taken ❒ Single ✔ Would like a sandwich

Vereor Deus

Quote by dann_blood
Branding!?!? THAT'S TOO PROGRESSIVE! I say bring back settlement payments in weights of lead and impalement upon wooden stakes!

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Oh! Sorry, I thought that was a braille name tag.
It really depends on what music you want to play. For example the Viper 50 will be able to handle metal and hard rock well, but may not be as good for blues/jazz etc.

At any rate the Peavey Vypyr is a good choice as a beginners amp, since its fairly versatile and for a modelling amp its tones dont sound too digital. Whatever you buy, youll probably want to upgrade inside the next 12 to 18 months anyway...

But yeah, give us a short list of the bands you like and we'll be able to advise you from there
Guitars
Ibanez RG350MYE
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Tanglewood Evo Exotic TSF CE XFM

Amps
Vox Night Train w/ V112NT
Vox Valvetronix VT30

GAS List
MIA Strat
Schecter Blackjack ATX C-7
Diezel VH4

"Negative, I am a meat popsicle"
Thanks for the quick replies.

Seether
Three Days Grace
Breaking Benjamin
Bullet for my Valentine
AC/DC...

Stuff like that
That is a great guitar for a beginner, it wont handle the blues/jazz, but it is really good for rock/metal. Now i personally like to get the M series as a starter (regular shape), but the cheap M's have flat necks, and u shouldnt get used to that early. Dean also has some good beginner guitars. i never looked at the Vipers with detail, now im considering 1.
Last edited by MidniteHaze at Dec 3, 2009,
Please don't tell TS that the Viper won't handle blues, jazz and whatever, you can basically play ANY genre on ANY guitar.

There are no 'metal only' or 'blues only' guitars.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Last edited by JesusCrisp at Dec 3, 2009,
Quote by JesusCrisp
Please don't tell TS that the Viper won't handle blues, jazz and whatever, you can basically play ANY genre on ANY guitar.

There are no 'metal only' or 'blues only' guitars.

This. But you kinda have to be sensible here, you don't really want to be playing metal on a 1952 Telecaster. And you wouldn't want to be doing blues on a Dean Razorback with a Dimebucker. An LTD Viper will do blues great, but don't expect SRV or John Mayer tones, although you'll get a fairly decent Gary Moore tone, or maybe a Peter Green or a early Eric Clapton sound, cause the humbuckers will make it a bit more midrangy, darker and thicker. It'll still sound good though. Put it on the neck pickup, roll the tone down slightly, add a bit of reverb on a clean channel, and there's your jazz. Simples

LOL, you're playing a Viper through a Vypyr.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
So overall the LTD Viper 50 with the Peavey Vypyr 15 would be a good beginner setup?

Oh, man, I WISH I had started with a Viper. I started off with a second-hand, cheap Yamaha guitar with only one single coil pickup and a 10-watt Ion (?) amp. So, comparing me to yourself, that's a great setup to start with. I agree with the guy above, you'll want to upgrade as soon as you can play several songs completely.
Quote by angusfan16

That penis guitar. Hell, i'd wank it.

UG's MEXICAN DRUMMER
I think the Vypyr will be good, I have one and it works for me, although in the winter it takes several times to boot up if it's cold.

As for the guitar, for that price I'd start you out on an Ibanez RG350DX/EX. Very versatile guitars for about $250-$300, played one at a Guitar Center, loved it, just as much as my Dean.

EDIT: The ESP that you mentioned should be okay, it's just your style of play though, it's not as generalized as the Ibanez.

heh, lol, vypyr, viper, get it?
99% of my posts will probably be entirely misinformed, malformed, malware infested, and... marmalade topped.

Oh, and your tongue is on fire.
Last edited by slashe50 at Dec 3, 2009,
Quote by Lil Macker

I did not see that before I posted my responce.
99% of my posts will probably be entirely misinformed, malformed, malware infested, and... marmalade topped.

Oh, and your tongue is on fire.
Quote by Lil Macker

haha! i had read like 10-15 posts in this thread and didnt realize that ...thats awesome!!
Quote by slashe50
As for the guitar, for that price I'd start you out on an Ibanez RG350DX/EX. Very versatile guitars for about $250-$300, played one at a Guitar Center, loved it, just as much as my Dean.

I think TS would be better off without a trem to start with, not to mention edge 3's aren't the best even if TS does want a trem.
Ibanez makes some AWESOME guitars for cheap. the one i currently own ran me about $280 with a gig bag and the guitar and i couldn't be happier with it. stays in tune great, sounds amazing, and has great fret board action. not to mention an awesome looking style on top of that. but I bet that ESP you're looking at would be a good guitar too, i mean mark morton uses ESP so they couldn't be too bad!
Meet your new best friend rondomusic.com. People are probably sick of me allways posting this site as my suggestion for guitars but noone can blame me. And noone does blame me after they have played an agile or douglas. Seriously, the price tags are low but the quality of these guitars are high. I would suggest something with a hard tail or a string through body *my fav* since a trem would probably be too much for you to start with though if you want there is still plenty of choices for guitars well within your price range with floyd rose trems and traditional trems. With your price range for guitar alone I would suggest an agile since they are the better guitars out of all three brands. People might say that such a high quality instrument will just make all of your mistakes painfully obvious through a decent amp but IMO that is a good thing cause then you know what your doing wrong a lot sooner. And the vypyr is a good amp for learning, I like to mess around with them at the local shops and I plan to get me one.
if you could swing your budget 50 dollars over to the amp I would say get a VT15 . Went shopping with a buddy of mine buying his first amp and I thought it sounded a lot better than the vypyr, with the same range a beginner should have.
Honestly, I try not to ever mess with amps under 30W unless it's tube. 15W SS amps just generally have lousy speakers that horrify the tone those otherwise underpowered amps could have. The 30W vypyr however, I do own. I'm not a big fan, but I would have loved this compared to my Rocktron V15. If I were you, I'd spring for the 30. It'll last you longer and sound better at low volumes. If you can't afford it, I'd honestly go for the Roland Cube 15X or Roland Microcube. The Microcube would probly be a better bet, seeing as it's also portable.

I'd recommend the LTD Viper with a Roland Microcube. The microcube will only run you $120 at the most. If you can find it used, $90. Sounds almost as good as some $300 amps I've tried. LTD guitars are generally pretty solid to begin with, I wouldn't gig with one after 40 years of playing mind you but to start off with, not bad at all. I started off with an Ibanez RG2EX2 but if you like the SG style, go for the Viper. I'd advise you try both the viper and a few amps at your local Guitar Center if you got one, but take the Microcube into consideration.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
I still haven't set on a guitar yet. I have found a couple more that interest me.
Maybe you all can provide me with a little insight on these...

ESP LTD H-101 and ESP H-51

or the

Schecter Omen 6 or Schecter Damien Special

These better then the LTD Viper 50?

Again, I have never played guitar before, but I always do alot of research before I buy.

Those guitars I have listed are within my price range and have gotten good reviews.

Thanks Again
Last edited by hmccall4 at Dec 6, 2009,