Yes... I didn't buy an Ovation. Stop cheering already!

For my birthday (is 45 old?), my OWMBO let me loose at the local GC. (mistake) I was suppose to buy a Korg PitchBlack, play a few and come home. 2-1/2 hours later she calls me and asks where I am. "In the acoustic room... and a guitar has attached itself to me" (actually several had). She begged me to put it down and run. So I did (the talk of new guitars upsets her greatly). 5 minutes later she calls back and asks how much. You can pretty much guess the rest.

I originally brought home a Martin XC1T Ellipse. I love ebony fret boards and the Ellipse Blend Preamp sounded great. Acoustically the XC1T was nice, plugged in even better (sound familiar?). Then I realized why I liked it. It sounded like my O's. Thats NOT what I wanted. That and the the "Made in Mexico" label, HPL sides and back, and unfinished top made me reconsider. So I went back the next day and A-B-C'ed the XC1T against an OM-1 and a D-1. After an hour of noodling, I chose home the OM-1. It sounds better than the XC1T unplugged (warmer and sweeter) and a different sound from the O's. The nicely grained rosewood FB I can live with. The Stratabond neck doesn't bother me at all, though the action could come down a touch. Its quite comfortable to play. Its the 1-3/4" nut and no preamp are taking some time to get used too.

I haven't taken any pics yet so here is an online pic for now.

Oh.. and the wife's conditions on this new purchase? No new guitars or equipment (discussed or bought) until 2011. Strings and maintenance are OK. The reward should I do this? A nicer, higher end Martin guitar early 2011, along with a trip to the factory. Its going to be a LONG year.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
Last edited by Auriemma at Dec 2, 2009,
how much louder was D-1 than OM-1?
I haven't played OM body size guitar myself.
Quote by scippy
how much louder was D-1 than OM-1?
I haven't played OM body size guitar myself.

The D1 was slightly louder and had a more bottom end than the OM1... IMHO.
The OM1 is a OOO body style. I just wasn't comfortable with the dread size.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
im thinking about getting this guitar after christmas. I definitely want a 000 size because i find it way more comfortable... i was also looking at the 000-15 mahogany one but im not sure yet :S would you recommend this guitar?
"The time I burned my guitar it was like a sacrifice. You sacrifice the things you love. I love my guitar."- Jimi Hendrix
very nice!! cant wait to see your pictures, though. for some reason i always think god old fashioned pictures do these guitars more justice than the photoshopped pictures on websites but go figure! congrats! that thing looks amazing, and the ones i've played have been great
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
I gave my wife this link a few hours ago. Luckily I am in Texas and she is in North Carolina.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Martin-D-28-Authentic-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Guitar-513360-i1175484.gc
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

(is 45 old?) 45 by Shinedown is a good song to play on the acoustic "LOL". I'm 44 started playing when I was 40. I'm guitar crazy now its all I do. Sounds like a awesome guitar you got now congratulations!
ROCK'N 6 STRINGS GRINDING PICKS INTO POWDER