i'm getting an ESP LTD Viper-100fm next week and was wondering which pickups would be best for it. i'm going for a Black Sabbath (w/Dio) sound. i'm still new to all the gear talk and all that, so if you have any suggestions, explain why they'd be good and what kind of sound they give. thank you.
Ibanez GSZ120
Ibanez RG3EX1
Marshall MG30FX
Take a look at the Duncan Distortions. They provide a great metal tone and a great tone for a lot of other things, too.
What amp do you have?
My gear so far:

-Cort KX5 (pearl white)
-Crybaby Wah
-Danelectro Cool Cat
-Fender Twin Reverb 65' Reissue
-Hardwire TL2
bareknuckles
1998 Parker Fly Deluxe
EBMM JP6 Graphite pearl
Mesa/Boogie 20:20
Mesa/Boogie Studio pre
Mesa/Boogie Mark IIC combo
Mesa/Boogie Recto 2x12
Gibson Tony Iommi? They're pretty nice, but don't have a lot of "bite" IMO.
Quote by CloseToTheEdge
bareknuckles

Not before an amp change. Otherwise the BKP are wasted on the 10 watt practice amp.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by tbfender93
EMGs. Defiantly.

No...

and I'm sure a lot of people would defy your recommendation as well.

Do not blindly give out recommendations just like that. EMGs sound horrible through 10 watt practice amp.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by stevo701
Emg's are pretty nice if your looking for that metal sound

NO

1. A new amp will benifit you most, in fact the benifits from the new pups will be almost undetectable through that amp.

2. EMG's suck. Expensive, nasty sounding, over hyped pieces of shit.

3. Id look into some Seymour Duncans (Particularly Distortion, Invader, '59, Jazz, and JB), or even better, some Tony Iommi Pickups, if you have the cash.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Dec 2, 2009,
the amp i have is a Fender SP-10 (it's my first one til i can afford a better one). i'm hoping to get a Marshall MG30FX for either my birthday or Christmas
Ibanez GSZ120
Ibanez RG3EX1
Marshall MG30FX
Quote by dyllan93
i'm hoping to get a Marshall MG30FX for either my birthday or Christmas

Please don't. You already have a bad practice amp (no offence), don't bother getting another one. For a similar price you can get a nice small 5 watt all tube combo that you'll never really grow out of.
1: don't get an MG, look into a Peavey vypyr or Roland Cube. Or even something like a 5 watt valve amp like a blackheart or something.

2: You won't notice bairly any difference if any at all through any of those amps.

3: If you do it anyway, Seymour duncan JB, SH6, or SH11 in the bridge. (Depending on the brightness of your guitar, and seeing the viper i would go for the JB or SH6)
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Last edited by SOADriff at Dec 6, 2009,
Damn I'm sick of the way people rubbish emg pups here. Granted through a toy amp they won't sound great but nothing will. For the styles he stated (through a decent amp) they would do the job perfectly, I know mine do.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I don't know about Dio tones, but EMGs sure as **** have their place cranking on good high-gain amps. Running EMGs on 18v (or basically the same tone in the new X series) is the way actives should be.

I'm not sure the threadstarter is best suited for EMGs, though. I've always felt that a lot of 80s metal players used PAF style, lower output pickups.
-Mike
Quote by Cathbard
Damn I'm sick of the way people rubbish emg pups here. Granted through a toy amp they won't sound great but nothing will. For the styles he stated (through a decent amp) they would do the job perfectly, I know mine do.

+1.
But if you're buying new pickups, go for Blackouts.
Quote by dyllan93
the amp i have is a Fender SP-10 (it's my first one til i can afford a better one). i'm hoping to get a Marshall MG30FX for either my birthday or Christmas

No. No. No. No. No.

Get a Blackstar HT 5, they are as loud, and can easily get a good Sabath tone.
But of course if you really want to sound like Sabbath get a big-ass old Laney and crank it up until your ears bleed.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I think that as I was looking for pickups I was really impressed by DiMarzio's website. Its so easy to use.
They tell you everything about the sound of the pickup, give you samples of the sound, tell you what combinations they recommend, who plays them proffessionally, and even wiring diagrams.

So just go there and look around and see what they have, its easy and they have great pickups.
just sayin
nah, combine the MG30 money with the pickup money and grab a blackstar HT-5, those things sound good for old-school metal
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
NO!

I was about to get that same guitar after doing hours of research and playing with it yesterday. Then I see some Jacksons and at the last second I rush back home, research, then rush back t the store and chose the Jackson DXMG! True story. Much better guitars.
FLYERS GONNA FLY
Philadelphia Flyers: 47-26-9
Quote by jacobparker
+1.
But if you're buying new pickups, go for Blackouts.

+1

Blackouts > all.