Ok, I'm relatively new to pedals, in fact I've only ever used a distortion pedal that was borrowed.

I'm just wondering if there's some kind of pedal that you guys could point me to that maybe fattens up the tone of single coils a bit, eliminates or partially gets rid of the hum, and generally makes single coils sound like humbuckers. I am thinking specifically of a strat here.

I dunno, is there such a pedal? And please don't just say "put a humbucker in the strat" or "get a les paul" cause' I do have a les paul, I'm asking about the pedal used with a strat.

Thanks for your time,
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

Marshall VS100 Valvestate head with 4x12 angled cab

Squier Strat (Fiesta Red) 90's, Korean
Last edited by Eurozeppelin at Dec 2, 2009,
You could get a noise-gate for the hum. Which basically cuts the signal when the volume drops below a certain point.

As for the single coil/humbucker thing. I think Seymour Duncan make a pickup booster that claims to be able to do that, I've never heard one though.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
I don't think it's possible to do something like that, the RP-series of Digitech have such a thing, but it's actually not that good at all... It hardly changes the tone, and it's one of the most unnecessary things on the pedal.
For you, I'd suggest either living with the tone you have, or you could get a noisegate for the hum and mess with your EQ for the fatter tone (but it will never fully sound like a humbucker...)
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

Yeah, a pickup booster + noise gate or playing on settings 2 and 4 on your Strat are your best bet.
a smartly used eq padal or fat boost on low gain with a noise gate should get the effect you want.
Try the electro harmonix knock out, check it out on youtube it should do exactly what you want
Quote by HEXAGRAM66
Try the electro harmonix knock out, check it out on youtube it should do exactly what you want

thats a massive gimmick.

it's a cool sounding pedal and it can work wonders on your cleans, but it wont transform a strat into a les paul...for so many reasons

TS: if hum is bothering you you could try a noise gate, and a regular 6/7/10 band EQ might well give you the phat tone youre after
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
since you've already got an LP for humbucker sounds, why not focus on getting the best single coil tone possible out of the strat?
and as mentioned, positions 2 and 4 on the switch are hum-cancelling
Well ive never heard of such a pedal but personally, I would just get humbuckers or live with your amp.
Getting a pedal would make it artificial and me no likey artificial sounds like that.
Plus you could just get some for a little bit more then a pedal.
Depending on how much this sort of pedal would cost.
My gear so far:

-Cort KX5 (pearl white)
-Crybaby Wah
-Danelectro Cool Cat
-Fender Twin Reverb 65' Reissue
-Hardwire TL2
Get a stacked humbucker for your strat, I got on in my tele and it sounds well fat, especially with 250k pots as well.
Hello
So do the pots make a massive difference? 250k pots are fatter than 500k?

I know about the stacked humbuckers but I just can't stand the look of them. They look so...kind of not classic, and I love classic guitars, like the Strat (my favourite), Tele, SG and Tele,

I would love to do a fat strat modification but I think it's too difficult for me...If I were to get a fully loaded HSS scratchplate with pots, pickups, switch and everything would it be: (presuming I already have HSS routing)

1) Remove strings

2) Take off old scratchplate and pickups

3) Put the new scratchplate on, and solder the thing to the output jack

4) Restring and that's it?

Is that all I have to do or is there more to it?
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

^^

pretty much
and your strat should be HSS already
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Are Mexican strats and American strats HSS already? (or swimming pool routing)
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

An LPB-1 gives you more gain and also a little bit of a fat boost. Will give you an interesting blend of Single Coil and HB sound.
Quote by Eurozeppelin
Are Mexican strats and American strats HSS already? (or swimming pool routing)

mexican strats are HSS
American strats are HSH
Highway one strats are HSS
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
In my experience, only a humbucker sounds like a humbucker. There are, however, pedals that can thicken up your sound a bit. I enjoy the LPB that was mentioned, I use a clone that I built. It may do what you are trying to do.
As far as the hum, you could try shielding your guitar.
Last edited by theguitarman66 at Dec 2, 2009,
the best distortion pedal i've ever used was the Boss X-tortion pedal.
theyve discontinued it and had i regretable gotten rid of mine.
i used the pedal with my mexican 3 coil strat, and i thought, and it was the best hi gain distortion ive ever heard from a 3 coil...its not going to sound like a humbucker, but it does sound beefy but the single coils still made it sizzle
i wish i still had mine
ivd use a handful of boss pedals (ds 1 metalzone ect) and dod's none of em ever really did it for me. the xtortion shreds
You could try installing the Eric Clapton Mid Boost in your strat, or buy the Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster.
Fender MIA Stratocaster (with SD Twang Banger)
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Johnson Acoustic
Palmer FAB5
I have a little 59 in my tele, sounds perfect, a little more treble than a real 59 (like I have in my gibson), but it's perfect in a band situation for the rythm guitarist. It was about 80eu I think, about the same price as a good boost pedal.
Try this.
maybe try on of these? (link is in the image)
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.