Hey UG, its been a been a very long time since I last posted but I've been having a fair bit of trouble with songwriting at the moment. I really want to write songs similar to that of Kill Hannah, 30 Seconds To Mars and The Smashing Pumpkins. No matter how hard I try I have difficulty, that makes me want to be able to write it even more. I get very determined XD. So has anyone out there got some advice for this fellow?

Thanks, Li
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
yea dude i use to have trouble with song writing. if u really are determined, then all you have to do is write out what you want each line to say without worrying about how it sounds. Then you can simply look at each line and keep writing them differently until they rhyme and have a similar number of syllables, or just sound the way u want it to.

example:

if i wanted to say-
i love my girl friend so much
she makes me feel special

then you can change it to-
the girl i love cant be real
no words describe how she makes me feel

now i put that example up in 30 sec. so def spend more time and of course make your song a lot better than this example lol.

hope it helped
-shane

email: nikefball82@yahoo.com
musically, you could try changing the dynamics in different parts of the song, like soft picked verses with quite a strong power chord chorus. lyrically those bands tend to be quite emotive so you'll have to write about something you feel strongly about. try not to make it too dark though, the bands you mentioned all still kinda keep a pop sensibility to their writing. I hope I helped and didn't just blabber on needlessly
Quote by him2her
musically, you could try changing the dynamics in different parts of the song, like soft picked verses with quite a strong power chord chorus. lyrically those bands tend to be quite emotive so you'll have to write about something you feel strongly about. try not to make it too dark though, the bands you mentioned all still kinda keep a pop sensibility to their writing. I hope I helped and didn't just blabber on needlessly

no, you didnt blabber on needlessly thanks for your contribution. any other tips, i would much appreciate them
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
yea dude i use to have trouble with song writing. if u really are determined, then all you have to do is write out what you want each line to say without worrying about how it sounds. Then you can simply look at each line and keep writing them differently until they rhyme and have a similar number of syllables, or just sound the way u want it to.

example:

if i wanted to say-
i love my girl friend so much
she makes me feel special

then you can change it to-
the girl i love cant be real
no words describe how she makes me feel

now i put that example up in 30 sec. so def spend more time and of course make your song a lot better than this example lol.

hope it helped
-shane

email: nikefball82@yahoo.com

i was thinking more along the line of the music, not the lyrics XD i can write lyrics just fine... its just making the music sound similar to the above mentioned bands i find difficult. but thanks for your advice
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
ok, well the only band their that i really listen to is smashing pumkins, and that is a damn easy style.

you should use a guitar and just strum a beat of power chords(A-system power chords would sound good) and that would work for the verses of ur song. for the chorus, you could hold a power chord and let it ring, or come up with a decent riff.

then for finding a good riff i suggest basing it off the blues pentatonic scale, and just toy around until you find something that sounds good.

your man,
shane

email-- nikefball82@yahoo.com