should i take the strings off my guitars? I was planning on restringing them when i get there anyways
❒ Taken ❒ Single ✔ Would like a sandwich

Vereor Deus

Quote by dann_blood
Branding!?!? THAT'S TOO PROGRESSIVE! I say bring back settlement payments in weights of lead and impalement upon wooden stakes!

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Oh! Sorry, I thought that was a braille name tag.
Quote by ratracekid111
should i take the strings off my guitars? I was planning on restringing them when i get there anyways

Why should you?
I dunno. Ive never moved them overseas before, i was just wondering if its taboo or sometthing
❒ Taken ❒ Single ✔ Would like a sandwich

Vereor Deus

Quote by dann_blood
Branding!?!? THAT'S TOO PROGRESSIVE! I say bring back settlement payments in weights of lead and impalement upon wooden stakes!

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Oh! Sorry, I thought that was a braille name tag.
If you're going by plane you may as well.
Or at least loosen them a lot
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.
I would just loosen them alot, unless you dont have a proper case and they might end up ripped in half.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Just slack out the tuning. It's probably not a good idea to remove them, because you ideally want something transported roughly in the tension it's built for.
Quote by Masamune
I've taken stringed guitars on planes and nothing has ever happened.

The plane didn't take off?
Well if you keep the strings on without slacking them and you go on an airplane there is a possibility that the neck/head could snap.
"If you want beef, then bring the ruckus." - Marilyn Monroe
Quote by USCENDONE BENE
Well if you keep the strings on without slacking them and you go on an airplane there is a possibility that the neck/head could snap.

i flew from USA to Finland and had my guitar in E-tuning all the time, glad it didn't break
Quote by Zero-Hartman
I just Google "Elephant penis", and was strangely aroused.

Apparently, I'm a good shitter

Quote by TomusAM
jonne.i just took the best dump I ever seen
Either take them off or just loosen them of so theres not that much tension on the neck. Reason being when your flying the change in pressure where the luggage is stored can screw up your guitar.
I was reading Total Guitar this month and one of the interviews said that they flew to a gig on the first date of a tour, didn't slacken off the neck and the headstock broke clean off because of the pressure in the luggage compartment.
What is the rationale behind strings snapping in a plane?

The luggage compartment will most likely be pressurised but not air-conditioned, so it will be at an equal pressure but very cold. Your best best is a good insulated case, there's no need to loosen the strings.
Last edited by ClaptonWannabe at Dec 2, 2009,
Quote by ClaptonWannabe

The luggage compartment will most likely be pressurised but not air-conditioned, so it will be at an equal pressure but very cold. Your best best is a good insulated case, there's no need to loosen the strings.

Something to do with the pressure i'd say

EDIT: hmm.. i seem to have just read the first sentence of your post at first, what was i thinking
Quote by Zero-Hartman

Quote by TomusAM
Quote by jonne.i
Something to do with the pressure i'd say

EDIT: hmm.. i seem to have just read the first sentence of your post at first, what was i thinking

I edited to give more information
Quote by ClaptonWannabe
I edited to give more information

I thought so too but in the quote there was the whole thing, maybe i should've previewed the post
Quote by Zero-Hartman

Quote by TomusAM
Quote by ratracekid111
I dunno. Ive never moved them overseas before, i was just wondering if its taboo or sometthing

yepp your gunna have to take it of it can be used as a weapon like to strangle..someone i knew told me that they had to take it off when returning with a new guitar
Last edited by metalheadblues at Dec 2, 2009,
Quote by ClaptonWannabe

It's not the strings to worry about. It's the neck.

Anyways, yes just take them off.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
It's not the strings to worry about. It's the neck.

Anyways, yes just take them off.

I'd love you to tell me how removing all tension from the neck is a good thing.
Quote by ClaptonWannabe
I'd love you to tell me how removing all tension from the neck is a good thing.

No tension is better than a lot of tension that put stress on the neck when the guitar is prone to conditions in an air plane, especially if it has to stay in cargo.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Aléx
I read "I'm moving ovaries".

No you didn't... you're not funny
Once I was told to edge of the sharp edges of my Rhoads by an officer.
And take off the strings so I cant use them to kill somebody.
I got it shipped with a shipment company in a flight case in e standard.
Nothing happened.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
I don't think the hold of a plane is pressurised. But you should NEVER take the strings off your guitar altogether. Too much string tension will make it bend one way, no tension at all will make it bend completely the other way.
Quote by Dawnwalker
Once I was told to edge of the sharp edges of my Rhoads by an officer.
And take off the strings so I cant use them to kill somebody.
I got it shipped with a shipment company in a flight case in e standard.
Nothing happened.

you a lying gtfo
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
I don't think the hold of a plane is pressurised. But you should NEVER take the strings off your guitar altogether. Too much string tension will make it bend one way, no tension at all will make it bend completely the other way.

Baggage areas/cargo holds are 99% of the time part of the hull, and therefore are pressurised, just not climate controlled.
Quote by ClaptonWannabe
Baggage areas/cargo holds are 99% of the time part of the hull, and therefore are pressurised, just not climate controlled.

depends on the plane I guess. I tend to get smaller ones, I was under the impression the smaller ones weren't.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
depends on the plane I guess. I tend to get smaller ones, I was under the impression the smaller ones weren't.

Unless you're flying a little private charter (i.e. a 6-8 seater job at 13,000 feet or so) then size doesn't matter.

The only way a commercial aircraft would have an unpressurised hold is if it was either ancient, or Russian (and fairly old Russian).
Quote by ClaptonWannabe
Unless you're flying a little private charter (i.e. a 6-8 seater job at 13,000 feet or so) then size doesn't matter.

The only way a commercial aircraft would have an unpressurised hold is if it was either ancient, or Russian (and fairly old Russian).

Ok, I'll trust you

Why then do they tell you not to take pressurised containers like aerosols in your hold luggage?
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Ok, I'll trust you

Why then do they tell you not to take pressurised containers like aerosols in your hold luggage?

I think that might have something to do with explosives/poison/something like that hidden in the containers?
EDIT: I'm feeling like i said something in bad english or misunderstood (im finnish)
Quote by Zero-Hartman

Quote by TomusAM
Last edited by jonne.i at Dec 2, 2009,
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Ok, I'll trust you

Numerous reasons:

1. There are very slight pressure differentials (but they are identical between the cabin and cargo hold).
2. They can be used as a blowtorch.
3. If the cargo hold decompressed (which isn't catastrophic by any means) the container may explode).
4. Temperature variation affects the contents. Cooling the container down decreases it's volume and vice versa.

You should bear in mind that travelling pets are kept in the luggage hold
I was under the impression that due to the cold the strings contracted and increased the tension a lot.
Quote by hippiebass
I was under the impression that due to the cold the strings contracted and increased the tension a lot.

This sounds quite logical to me
Quote by Zero-Hartman

Quote by TomusAM