hi so i've been reading a lot of "what should my first bass be/what bass/starting bass etc." stories and i got to thinking what are all of your stories on when you bought your first bass or something along those lines.

for me i bought the very first bass i ever played. It was a White MIM Fender Precision Bass and i had no clue how to play it, i just knew i wanted to play bass and i wanted something that would last. I tried to thumb out some stuff my friend sowed me on his guitar but in the end i just walked up to the counter and bought it without checking anything on it out. Now looking back on it the finish was great, the neck sucked (and still does) and the bridge is ****ed up (to put it bluntly). But do you all know what, i would rather sell my $2000 thumb bass than my broken down $500 p-bass.

so what about all of you
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
I decided I wanted a new big ass crash or splash for my drumkit, so I went to one of my regular musicshops, browsed some cymbals. But since no one was free to help anyway, I decided to look around some more in the shop, and I stopped at the bass section. After much thought *ahum* I decided, I'd rather learn to play bass instead of some cymbals. And bought myself a shiny Ibanez GSR 200. Which, in all fairness, I just bought because I liked Ibanez guitars before. I'm just glad it turned out a good choice.

And that about sums it up.
I walked into a Guitar Center with one thing in mind- I wanted to be deep and thick and as bassy as possible. I had the Squier Affinity Jazz with the broken nut they shipped me, and I was considering other stuff too. I played a lot of basses, and it came down to 2 of them. one was a beautiful Epiphone EB-0, the other was a simple Ibanez GSR200.

the Epiphone was my favorite sounding, but the neck wasn't as comfortable, and the frets were too close together. the Ibanez was uglier, didn't look like something my hero Jack Bruce used, but it felt really nice, and it could get the bassy sound and a few more trebly sounds. so I flipped a coin.

I'm glad it was tails.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I went into a shop in Preston where they hooked a Stagg BC300 up to one of the best amps I've ever heard. It must have been because that bass really sucked.
I was starting a band with my best friend. I sort of played guitar (not really), and he played guitar a bit more fluently and sang, so when time came to form our band, I had to choose between rhythm guitar or bass since I couldn't play drums. Guitar had always frustrated me to some extent, so I had been leaning toward bass, and then I asked my magic 8 ball if bass was the right way to go, and it confirmed my future

So I went to Guitar Center and a few random little music shops. For me it came down to a Stagg, an OLP, and an Ibanez GSR200. The Ibanez seemed like the best buy, and it felt more comfortable, so I went with my gut and got it. By that point all I could afford amp-wise was a used Hondo guitar amp I found for $12 in the back of GC, and so began my bass rig.

Still have both the bass and the amp, the Ibanez I've since transformed into my sparkley-blue-fretboard fretless funk-machine, and the amp . . . well, if you plug a cable into it and stick the other end in your mouth, it gets flawless radio reception, 'nuff said
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
http://stinji.150m.com/About-Me/Silvertone_PaulStanley_Apocalypse.jpg

I remember when I bought that bad boy used. 110$.
It's got no high end and super high action. it's just my baby, and i can't ever get rid of it. =]
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
My first bass was a Fender Bronco. I played that little dude through a Line 6 Spider, thought it sounded amazing.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by 6stringbassist
http://stinji.150m.com/About-Me/Silvertone_PaulStanley_Apocalypse.jpg

I remember when I bought that bad boy used. 110$.
It's got no high end and super high action. it's just my baby, and i can't ever get rid of it. =]

might wanna check that link, d00d
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
mine was the IBZ GSR200, it was fun to mess around with till I picked a better one, I still have it, but may be selling it cuz its a cheap piece of crap
Quote by SehestedtSM
mine was the IBZ GSR200, it was fun to mess around with till I picked a better one, I still have it, but may be selling it cuz its a cheap piece of crap

there's got to be some sentemental value to it
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Quote by Spaz91
I went into a shop in Preston where they hooked a Stagg BC300 up to one of the best amps I've ever heard. It must have been because that bass really sucked.

this was my first guitar story in a nutshell...they plugged a tom delonge strat into a marshall jcm 2203 stack and I was like zomg...then i took my new guitar and mg15 amp home and it sounded like a lawnmower..poor little old me lol

My first bass story is boring, guy had credit problems...saw an ad on the net for schecter stiletto extreme for 200 canadian...and sold lol I love it
My first bass was a Peavey Zodiac EX. I first got a bass cuz I thought it sounded cool and I was too lazy to get a (6 string) guitar because I already knew how to read bass cleft. I love it to death and still play it pretty much every day even though I got a nice MIM Fender Jazz half a year ago.
Quote by moody git
behringer. say no more.
*shudders* My first amp was a Behringer. Needless to say, I regretted that purchase in due time. My first bass on the other hand, ever since I had to replace the bridge p-up a few months ago, has never proven itself unsatisfactory for my needs. It's an Ibanez BTB200, which I payed $300 for at my local guitar shop before I knew anything about bass. I liked how it looked, and I assumed that since I recognized the brand, it was likely to be worth the purchase. Although that was an ignorant assumption, it turned out to be true.

After three years, and plenty of hours of practice, I still don't feel like I need an upgrade. Sure I'd love a Fender American Vintage '75 Jazz, or American Deluxe Jazz, but anything other than that doesn't seem like enough of an upgrade to even bother with.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
very spur of the moment an older mate bought a Fender and needed cash for his rent so i got an Aria for £50 :P and my parents bought me an amp cause they noticed that i had really taken an intrest.

thats how i started best impulsive decision ever next to buyin my PS3 :P
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
2 weeks before I got married, I wanted to do a last *crazy* purchase so I bought the Ibanez Jumpstart package. Glad I did! Now a few years later I still play bass and I'm in a band. The Ibanez package did only serve me a couple of months and I replaced it with several other basses and amps. Never regretted buying my 1st bass.
Oh yes, I'm still married, despite all crap I played the 1st couple of months. :-)
Gear :
Ibanez GWB35 Gary Willis signature
Ibanez SR700 CN
Epiphone Thunderbird Pro IV

Marshall MB4410
first bass i bought.,.. still my only one

was playing guitar, but had borrowed a mates bass, and i liked that sound!

so off i went searching on the interwebs, came accross a guy who lived near my girlfriend... crazy old russian guy, brilliant musician... demonstrated the bass through his rather pricey set up... and the rest is history as they say, and i love bass
I'd always wanted to play bass. One day, a guy from down the street asked me to pull snow from his driveway. SO I dragged my snowblower over there and did the job, I was paid around $50 and I had some money left over from saving. I wasn't able to drive at the time so my mother drove me to LimeLite music. And there I purchased my blue Squire P-Bass.

Makes me tear up just thinking about how long I came
Try it, I dare you!
I bought my first bass at a Music Go Round in Monroeville PA we first went there so I would play this Fernandes guitar my dad wanted. So we went to the basses, first was a MIM P bass, it was refinished white but it wasn't a smooth finish almost like housepaint, then we played a Jackson, then an Ibanez then thisb black Epiphone P bass copy I went with that one because I plugged in and it had a punchy sound and I liked that so I got that.
Stuff:
ESP/LTD EC-200QM (with SD Distortions)
1986 Charvel Model 4
2013 Ibanez RG7421WH

Amps
Marshall MS-2 microamp (a POS)
B-52 LG-100a head (Not bad)

Pedals
Digitech Grunge distortion
My first bass was a gift, and it was also a dean, so that doesn't count.

The first bass I bought, I went straight back to the bass section of GC, dodging sales guys the whole way, grabbed an Ibanez or a Fender jazz MIM or a Warwick, and just played. Did that for months, two or three times a month. Finally, I decided I was gonna buy one. And I look around one last time before grabbing the fender, see this: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-Guitar-Research-Stiletto-Custom-4-Bass-102042405-i1147947.gc

I asked the Sales rep to grab it for me, and as soon as my hand closed on the headstock, I knew. Of course, I still played it a bit. A lot a bit, actually.
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
My first bass was a Christmas gift 17 years ago from Mr. Tam when I was pregnant with my daughter. It was the Epiphone Accubass and I still have it. He also bought me my SR800 as a Christmas gift a few years back.

The only bass I have bought was the Fretless Stingray, which was a total impulse buy during a lunch time visit to a local shop. As a result, I am not allowed in music stores with a major credit card and my friend Mike to egg me on.
Quote by anarkee
My first bass was a Christmas gift 17 years ago from Mr. Tam when I was pregnant with my daughter. It was the Epiphone Accubass and I still have it. He also bought me my SR800 as a Christmas gift a few years back.

The only bass I have bought was the Fretless Stingray, which was a total impulse buy during a lunch time visit to a local shop. As a result, I am not allowed in music stores with a major credit card and my friend Mike to egg me on.

Holy crap... that's an impulse buy indeed

My first bass was just some crappy old thing I found in my local music store. It wasn't in bad shape, it was the only left handed one he had that was remotely worth looking it. So, I paid him to restring it and set it all up for me for £20 (The strings were £18 so he set it up for £2... I love my local music store. He does it better than a major store too, and he doesn't stiff you for it either).

My 2nd bass was bought this time last year, after finally breaking my old bass. I found a decent Squier P-Bass, and I'm still playing it!
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

first bass wasn't even mine, it was a friends squire mb4 skull P/J bass which was actually pretty good. then after learning on that i bought a bc rich mockingbird heritage classic in red off ebay. it is beautiful.
PRS SE Custom 24
Ibanez Iceman IC-200
Jackson RR3
Epiphone FT-120
BC Rich Mockingbird Bass
Crate Blue Voodoo 60
Marshall 1960B
Markbass CMD 102P
Dunlop Original Crybaby
EHX Stereo Memory Man
Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive
Ibanez AF2
I was borrowing a friends bass, it was some one name peice of crap.

So for or Christmas my mommy bought me a Squier Jazz bass, mainly because she thought I would play it for like a month and then become disinterested. (Which happened the christmas before with a Sister and Drum Kit).

EDIT: OH SNAP! So it's a first bass you bought thread not a first bass you recieved thread....

First bass I bought was a Sunburst MIM P-bass. After having they Jazz bass for like a year, I thought to myself I would haven't much rather been playing a P-bass. So I went to the bank, took out all of my money at the time, went to the music store, and bought the one they had sitting there. I ended up with Sunburst, because after all the excitement they would have had to order one and I didn't want to wait three weeks for a Black or a White one.

And here is the Supreme-Bad-Cellphone-Camera-Quality-Picture of both of them.

Last edited by Captain Insano at Dec 3, 2009,
my first and until i get my j bass in the mail in a week, only bass is a dean evo xm

biggest P.O.S. you can find and ive bin playing it for like 5 years now haha
it has like 1/2 of action at the 12 fret though so when ever i play on a good bass im like 10 times better which is pretty sweet
kinda like those old fighting movie where the guy drops the 100lb clothes lol
Quote by lucas1wj
my first and until i get my j bass in the mail in a week, only bass is a dean evo xm

biggest P.O.S. you can find and ive bin playing it for like 5 years now haha
it has like 1/2 of action at the 12 fret though so when ever i play on a good bass im like 10 times better which is pretty sweet
kinda like those old fighting movie where the guy drops the 100lb clothes lol

I had that one. I know what you mean, it's like high altitude training. Not exactly fun, but when you come back down...
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.