I have a guitar neck from an Ibanez RG120, That's all...I bought it from a dude for $20...What is the scale length? I am thinking about building the guitar body, if i put in a floyd rose around...25 inches away, can i still have the octave be exact? can i change the intonation if i put the tremolo 25" away....just another way of stating the same question, anyway, if you could give me a link to a website about how to put in a tremolo (im not 100% positive if it is going to be a floyd rose, probably more like a strat type trem, and a locking nut) That would be great. Thank you very much
You just LOST the game >: P

After years of extensive research at Yale, it is determined that the game does not, in fact, exist.
If you have the neck, measure the distance from the nut to the 12th fret, then double it. That is the scale length (the distance the bridge should be from the nut).
Quote by cedricsmods
If you have the neck, measure the distance from the nut to the 12th fret, then double it. That is the scale length (the distance the bridge should be from the nut).

^ True.
25.5" scale for RG's.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by cedricsmods

When you measure it do you measure it from the end of the nut the start or the middle? And where do you go to in the bridge to where the saddles are? Sorry noob at guitar building.
measure from the side of the nut touching the fretboard,

then at the bridge, the line should be the average of the saddles. (sdo when the saddles are in the midpoint of their adjustment.
Quote by Jason Jillard

then at the bridge, the line should be the average of the saddles. (sdo when the saddles are in the midpoint of their adjustment.

WTF does that mean? LOL!

OP:

If your scale length is 25.5 inches, then your HIGH E saddle, should be at the 25.5 inch mark, all other strings are longer.

Specifically, the "break point", that is where the string leaves the saddle should be at the 25.5 inch mark.

Adjust the High E saddle, forward till it has about a 1/16th of an inch of travel left.

If you adjust both E saddles to this point, then you can use that to line your bridge up straight, then wind the low E saddle back.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Last edited by Skeet UK at Dec 2, 2009,
wow, thanks guys for the swift replies
But ...jim kinda confused me when you said measure to the MIDDLE of the 12th fret??
Does that mean measure to the middle of both 11 and 12, or measure to the middle of the actual 12th metal fret...
also, Not only do i have a mystery scale length, I ALSO have mystery pickups!!
Joy!
This piece 'a crap i have has an Ibanez RG120 neck on it, a barrington guitar werks (yes werks) body, foxxe is on the neck plate...now i've done some research and the body types are the same, but i digress.
(im gonna be building a new body)
But what my actual question is, does anyone know what the pickups are???
Here's the description, im not sure if these came WITH the guitar or if they were added on later.
There are 2 single coils and a humbucker, only thing on there is "BB" and 3 stripes across the top, they are covered or something...
I want to take off the cover to expose the coils, but im not sure if i should or not....but i really want to

Thanks again guys.

After years of extensive research at Yale, it is determined that the game does not, in fact, exist.
Quote by Chessman.exe
wow, thanks guys for the swift replies
But ...jim kinda confused me when you said measure to the MIDDLE of the 12th fret??
Does that mean measure to the middle of both 11 and 12, or measure to the middle of the actual 12th metal fret...

the middle of the actual metal fret. the string touching the fret is what changes the length, and thus the vibration, effectively cutting it in half. you need the 12th fret to be exactly the middle of the string so that if the string is tuned to E the 12th fret will also be E.

someone else said that RG's are 25.5" but I'd check it just to make sure. the nut to the 12th would be 12.75 if he's right.

everything Skeet UK covers the placement, so listen to that man (I've never actually built a guitar, I just know about most of it from these forums)

Quote by Chessman.exe
also, Not only do i have a mystery scale length, I ALSO have mystery pickups!!
Joy!
This piece 'a crap i have has an Ibanez RG120 neck on it, a barrington guitar werks (yes werks) body, foxxe is on the neck plate...now i've done some research and the body types are the same, but i digress.
(im gonna be building a new body)
But what my actual question is, does anyone know what the pickups are???
Here's the description, im not sure if these came WITH the guitar or if they were added on later.
There are 2 single coils and a humbucker, only thing on there is "BB" and 3 stripes across the top, they are covered or something...
I want to take off the cover to expose the coils, but im not sure if i should or not....but i really want to

Thanks again guys.

dunno what the pickup is, but it should be fine to take the covers off.
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Dec 2, 2009,
You guys rock, thanks

That is really freakin close, it is 12.77 or something like that. Just wondering about the bridge, if i cut the hole 1/8'' too close or too far away, i can just adjust the saddles right and that'll fix the intonation?

About the pickups...
I took off the mounting plate on the back and all that there is is a plastic back...no screws...i mean..what do i do now? Just get an exacto-knife and slice 'er open?
Do all humbuckers like this have wax on the inside, and do they have side walls so the copper wires AREN'T exposed? I am really hoping that there are side cases...

Last edited by Chessman.exe at Dec 3, 2009,
not for 1/8"... you'll be f*ked up and far from home

take pics of the pickups
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
don't get an exacto knife anywhere near a pickup. not all pups have the wax, and the only thing protecting the windings is some coil tape.

are you sure it's EXACTLY 12.77"? i meant measure down the middle of the neck (not along the sides) from the front of the nut to the middle of the 12th fret slot.
So how can I be so sure that I have the bridge far away as I need it?
I have a strat that is 25.5" scale... and this neck i have is 25.5" scale...i should be able to use the length of something to the something right?
anyone?
:P
Guys I truly appreciate your help, Thanks
Here are the before pictures ^^

I want to remove the cover of that humbucker, but all that is behind it is a black wall.
So it's basically a box...a black box...
anyway, thanks.

AND, no jim, but its pretty damn close to 12.77, but im sure it is just 12.75, everything else seems to check out that it is 25.5" scale because placed next to my strat, they line up nearly perfectly.

You could add a fingerboard extension if you wanted.

Yeah, measuring for the scale length needs to be right.

If you measure down the side of the fingerboard, you will be out. This is because the neck tapers.

Mark a centreline down the middle of the neck but mark it on the actual body, not the neck. Then mark your scale length across that line so it bisects it.

Then you can position your E saddles so they sit on that line, then mark out your holes and fix it down.

After double checking at least 30 million times.
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Ugh, ok, how about this..

It is FLUSH up with the nut, and it looks like it is about 12.76 or 12.77, does it not?
That shouldn't present too much of an issue...whereas i measure my strat and it is EXACTLY 12.75...
I'll just use the measurements on my strat to place the bridge i suppose.

Still looking to take off the cover....can anyone identify the buckers yet?
I thought they were burst buckers because i reseearched it, that wasn't it, BB doesn't make that kind...or so i think...
If you can prove me wrong, please tell me where i can search these up, links...also would like tutorial for taking off cover.

Anyone want pictures of the underside of the humbucker?
and...er...putting in a floyd rose wont hurt, so no 6 holes, just two big ones..
I have the posts for the floyd now...but I want to take out the little brackets that hold it into the guitar now...how do i do that?

what kind of guitar is that anyway? controls, pup layout, and body style look exactly like a kaman gtx series. looks like a gtx23 or 23a.

It does look like 12.76, but that could be manufacturing imperfection. where'd the neck come from?

and why do you want to take the cover off? it looks badass. if it's anything like a gtx series, you aren't gonna like the look of what's under it. all i did for mine was get a knife pry outward a tad and the brittle glue gave. i thought you had a metal cover or smt. those don't come off with a knife.
...Again, the neck came from an Ibanez RG120...
its close enough to 12.75, that i dont htink it'll make that big of a sound difference in pitch.
Maybe I'll take the cover off if i dont like the way it looks on the new body...hmph...thanks for that jim ^^
that body you see is a berrington guitar werks...at least that is what it says on the neck plate, says...something like foxxe(tm) berrington guitar werks. supposedly made in the late 80's early 90's...

Also, i've been monitoring for a while, I want to have a red body with black diagonal stripes...just some...and well, i dont know what to do here.

I want a wood that is 3D~ish and i dont know the name of any like that. ....you know the wood where you look at it in the light, you move it around and the light bends? I think it is maple...iunno.
Anyway, I dont know how i would make that 3D effect show while having a Red see thru finish...what paint would i use? can i even do that/
oh im sure i can...some brand names would be nice, thanks guys.
You wrawk

The wood you are talking about is flame maple. The quick and dirty of how to get that look is:
1. get wood with a flamed grain pattern
2. dye the grain a dark colour, then sand back some to make it "pop"
3. stain the entire thing red
4. Clear coat

The tricky part will be the black stripes. Are you wanting the stripes to be transparent as well? Because if that is what you are going for, you can't do that with rattle cans, you'll need a compressor and proper airgun.

The best place to get your finishing questions answered is the Ultimate Painting/Refinishing thread, conveniently linked in my sig.
I just google searched that, YEAH
that is a HOT wood O.o
no pun intended, but you already knew that.

ANYWAY
I do not intend for the black stripes to be transparent, though that would be neat, it just simply wont happen, I'd like for the red to be clear~ish though. Thanks for the link, i've looked through it before.

I have a question about a mystery wire on my mystery guitar with the mystery scale length.

There is a white wire..well..why say it when you can just take a picture of it?

another perspective.

Tis a ground wire.

Ground loops are baaad, mkay?
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
okay then...
what do you suppose i do then?
I didn't wire this up,a nd it doesn't seem to be doing too bad.

jeez, where can I even buy flame maple???

Quote by Chessman.exe
okay then...
what do you suppose i do then?
I didn't wire this up,a nd it doesn't seem to be doing too bad.

Well..where does it appear to come from, as you say it isn't connected?

It seems to go from the case of the tone pot to one of the wipers on the other pot...solder it back.
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
the white wire originates at the three way switch, look at the pic, it is the very top box switch, the white is at the top center.

so it's like:
[ ] [ ]
[ ] [ ] [ ]
whereas the star is where the white wire connects...then that goes to the next swithc.....
another problem...
look closely at the second switch, it is 2 way switch...welll...the middle pup connects to the switch via the RED wire...the white wire that is coming out of that is disconnected...is that ground?

I dont freakin get it O.o

Is it ground
is white ground???!

If so...wtf is the thin black wires for?
backup ground?
er....k..

I've been lookin all day, anyone know where to get flame maple?
at the least, a cheap body blank UNDER 50 bucks :\
not expecting cheap flame maple under 150, anyway...can i even get a 2 inch thick 22" by 14" board at a lumber yard?
i ask so many questions, thanks guys, thanks for hangin in there for me.

Last edited by Chessman.exe at Dec 4, 2009,
Don't worry about the white wires to the switches.

You are talking about the white wire that (looks like it's cut?) from the tone pot to the tag on the other pot yes?

It's a ground wire. At the Tone pot end, it probably is soldered to the back with one leg of a capacitor yes?

Ebay, "Finewoods" from canada, well under $150.

You don't have to have a 14 inch by 22 board, you can have a 45 by 8 inch board, cut, joint and glue it for the back.

You making a body now too?

Here you go...
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
Last edited by Skeet UK at Dec 4, 2009,
yes yes...making a body.
thx for the reply ^^
I ebay'd finewoods...no...nothing 'cept some crappy jewelery >.>
45 by 8...definite possibility, but since you can see the grain in the wood, why do that? It'd also be a pain to glue it and...weak point...hmm...cheaper to do it your way, BUT it looks cheaper too...crap...well, we'll see what happens.

i dont know what im'a do with the soldering....hmm

Quote by Chessman.exe
yes yes...making a body.
thx for the reply ^^
I ebay'd finewoods...no...nothing 'cept some crappy jewelery >.>
45 by 8...definite possibility, but since you can see the grain in the wood, why do that? It'd also be a pain to glue it and...weak point...hmm...cheaper to do it your way, BUT it looks cheaper too...crap...well, we'll see what happens.

i dont know what im'a do with the soldering....hmm

Fraser Finewoods

All but the most expensive guitars are at least a two piece body dude and you can make it look nice by doing that too.

Bookmatched tops are obviously two piece.
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
Last edited by Skeet UK at Dec 4, 2009,
those are some pretty nice prices..but i dont like the shipping costs....thats a lot...still much better, i'll keep looking around, *bookmarks*
thanks man!
it'd probably cost even more to ship to the US eh...

Quote by Chessman.exe
those are some pretty nice prices..but i dont like the shipping costs....thats a lot...still much better, i'll keep looking around, *bookmarks*
thanks man!
it'd probably cost even more to ship to the US eh...

Find it on US Ebay, the dude is in Canada and the prices are Canadian Dollars, so shipping is actually about $20 US

Here, see what I mean?
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
Last edited by Skeet UK at Dec 5, 2009,
oh, i know what you mean, but im getting a floyd rose from ebay and my budget as of now is 100...Did you look at the thickness?
that's well under an inch...can't use that >_>

Last edited by Chessman.exe at Dec 5, 2009,
Quote by Chessman.exe
oh, i know what you mean, but im getting a floyd rose from ebay and my budget as of now is 100...Did you look at the thickness?
that's well under an inch...can't use that >_>

Dude, its a top. You use regular plain looking wood, such as mahogany etc (or fancy wood if you like) for the back, then you put the bookmatched top on.

Why don't you actually outline exactly what you want to do now, because we have
gone from you not knowing how to measure your scale length or position your bridge, to you now wanting to build a body.
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
I guess you are right. I do appreciate the help though.
Contrary to what you say, I have been thinking of several ideas for months, I just don't quite know how to put them down on paper. I'm about half way there now

oh right, i never got the answer.

So ON TOPIC this time
If i route out a hole for my 25.5" scale floyd rose, where will the hole actually go? how far away from the nut. i know the average of the saddles is exactly 25.5"..kinda, but where would the hole be >_>
Last question, kthx guys

Quote by Chessman.exe
oh right, i never got the answer.

So ON TOPIC this time
If i route out a hole for my 25.5" scale floyd rose, where will the hole actually go? how far away from the nut. i know the average of the saddles is exactly 25.5"..kinda, but where would the hole be >_>
Last question, kthx guys

http://www.floydrose.com/instructions.html#Tremolo
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
\m/
thanks
that should be about it for questions. I'll open another thread if i get any more.

Thanks guys for your input. I'll be sure to repay the favor