Hey guys

Picked up an RGR421 a couple months ago. I noticed last night, the five way toggle switch is starting to act up. I switched pickup selection, and there was no sound. Thought it was the amp, turned it off and on again, no change. Tapped the guitar near the switch, started working again. Once it works, it works until you move the switch again. Quality chinese switches I guess.

Is there an easy place to find a new one (in Canada?). Are they a pretty generic thing or will this be an Ibanez specific part?

Thanks.
Hey, try opening it up and make sure there is no bare wires touching each other. That would cause it to not work. Also, by moving the toggle switch, you could be making those wires touch. Just use some electrical tape, or shorten up the wires.
I opened it last night to take a peek if any wires had come loose, but wasn't paying attention if they were touching. There is some bare wire where they are sautered to the switch so perhaps I'll wrap that area with electrical tape tonight and give it a whirl.
If you do need a switch it doesn't have to be Ibanez brand. All parts Prob makes one that will work for a fair price
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Well, I messed around some more last night, and it pretty much has to be the switch because the wiring looks fine, and whenever I touch the switch the sound will crackle. I assume the current travels from the pickups, then to the switch (which depending on it's position) flows the current out to the amp. I thought it might be the neck pickup because it seems worse using that one, but when I touch the switch it works, and I guess it's pretty rare for a pickup to be bad.

Anyway, not a big deal, but a little bit disappointing in a new $500 guitar.
Is the guitar under warranty? Take it back to where you got it and ask them fix it.
Take it back to were you got it if it is that new and make them fix it...if they refuse return the guitar get you money back and get something else. Just depends on their return policy.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Thing is, I already made a stink with the store when it took the guitar eight weeks to come in after they quoted me three. They did give me a very nice discount however so I don't want to burn any bridges really. I have been back there to buy strings and such and the guys are cool. It's worth a shot I guess.
Hey...its not your fault the guitar was no wired up properly and i know its not the stores fault, but they sold you the product as a working new guitar, and thats not what you have so I would see what they can do.

Honestly when I had a new 3 way switch installed and had my whole guitar re-wired I only paid $30.00 for parts and labor, so they might do it for you considering how inexspensive it really is.

Worth a shot.....like they always say.....the customer is always right.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by potatohead_33
Hey guys

Picked up an RGR421 a couple months ago. I noticed last night, the five way toggle switch is starting to act up. I switched pickup selection, and there was no sound. Thought it was the amp, turned it off and on again, no change. Tapped the guitar near the switch, started working again. Once it works, it works until you move the switch again. Quality chinese switches I guess.

Is there an easy place to find a new one (in Canada?). Are they a pretty generic thing or will this be an Ibanez specific part?

Thanks.

buy a can of compressed air. $3. spray into the switch while flicking. see if that cleans it for you.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
do as jj165 says if that doesn`t work there are cheaper alternatives to the vlx91 switch, your ibanez has 12 months warranty on it so send it back to the store who will send it back to efkay for the new switch (takes about 3 weeks to get your guitar back) i did this with my jem.
I found the switch online for $11, it's just a generic "import style" 5 way selector. For that price and 30 minutes of my time I'd rather do that than be without it for three weeks. Really not a big deal, it probably would be if the switch was not readily available.
Well, the saga continues (of course).

Long story short, I purchased the All Parts 5 way import switch (http://www.allparts.com/Plastic-5-Way-Switch-p/ep-0476-000.htm) figuring they were all the same. I wired it exactly the same as the original switch. Now, I am getting the following:

Forward (neck position) - Neck pickup
Second position - some combination of the two pickups (supposed to be neck, parrallel connected)
Third position - sounds identical to second position (supposed to be both pickups - humbuckers)
Fourth position - Nothing, no sound at all (supposed to be both - single coils)
Fifth position - Bridge pickup

Now, I guess this switch is internally different than the one from the factory. Is there any wiring diagrams or schematics out there to re-wire this thing correctly? I don't really mind it, but losing the fourth position, which is supposed to be single coils kind of sucks.
Last edited by potatohead_33 at Dec 4, 2009,