ok, so instead of buying a new guitar, i thought about buying some cheap squier strat and modding the hell out of it
basically i would get an affinity strat (alder wood), and get a new neck, replace the pickups(emg 60/81/85 or duncan 59'/jazz/jb), wiring/electronics and possibly a repaint.
so... you have any tips/hints/advice?
what to do and what not to do?
should i try all of this by myself(absolutely no modding experience) or get the parts and go to a guitar service/shop and have them do the pickups/wiring? (neck change is easy enough for me )
MY GEAR:
Digitech RP250
Stagg Acoustic
Ibanez RGA32 (EMG 81/85)
amp doesn't matter :P
Last edited by Nesha Strah at Dec 2, 2009,
Amp first!

Seriously, your amp is your weak tone link.

Second, it's not cost effective at all. You'll end up spending more on the parts than on the guitar.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
you just answered your own question...
if you don't have any experience modding guitars, just get the stuff you want to replace onto the guitar, and go to a local guitar shop or something of the sort, and have it done.
You don't want to **** up a guitar you are building and not know what is wrong with it, and then **** it up more.
if you have no experience i would get the hardware done by someone else. cause if you mess up something it could cost more money than you expected. but if you get the basic concept of soldering and reading a wire diagram, then have at it. its not that bad really. and yeah neck you can do yourself.
ok thanks
btw. the amp is not important. i wont be playing gigs with my amp, just practice with it. that's just the way it is in Serbia
MY GEAR:
Digitech RP250
Stagg Acoustic
Ibanez RGA32 (EMG 81/85)
The guy just wants a project, I say do it but with cheaper parts to learn first. Then once you got a little bit of confidence, do up a nicer one.
In the Valley of Vung
I really think you should avoid a strat if you want to play metal. The trem bridges on those things just suck for metal and you should instead look for a hardtail. Trust me, it's a lot of work to replace the trem on a Squier with a hardtail. If I were you I'd look at cheap ESP's, Deans, and the like for something that would be good for modding. Look for something with a good neck, a good body, and a good neck to body fit. I'd say get a new nut, new pups, new electronics, maybe tuners, and maybe a paintjob. Get a better amp first.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Strats are awsome for metal! YEAH!
And why buy a squier if you are gooing to replace the neck. the neck of the squier is the best part.

Now, If he buys emgs or other pickups is not wasting money since he can use them for other guitars or resell them.

Plus trust me it isnt so difficult to do the things you wanna do without experience, trust me you are on a good place to start, and you cant screw up if things are done patently and in very well tought manner
Quote by salsawords
The trem bridges on those things just suck for metal and you should instead look for a hardtail.

I don't know what you consider metal, but lots of metal acts use a trem.

The necks are the best part of Squiers. If you don't like the neck, buy a different guitar.
hmm there IS a hardtail strat (fixed bridge) :P
and as for the neck, i would get at least 22 frets(maybe 24), so some ibanez-like neck would be nice(along with the fretboard, i want those big frets )
MY GEAR:
Digitech RP250
Stagg Acoustic
Ibanez RGA32 (EMG 81/85)
Squier or fender strat with 25,5 scale and a 24 fretter neck is not a plausible idea. Sorry men, max is 22 frets.

I Still think that if you are getting a squier, that you should keep the neck, its the best thing of it.

EDIT: A fender tremolo is good enough as any tremolo for metal. It just depends on how much you use it and what tuners do you have. My fender strats manages dive bombs really well, and stays in tune. As for tone, with standard pickups check my last mp3 on my Profile, its all with heavy distortion and fender stock pickups
Last edited by divinorum69 at Dec 3, 2009,
That, would be badass.
Gear:

Guitar: Oscar Schmidt Acoustic

Piano: Yamaha EA

Microphone: CAD U37
Quote by Nesha Strah
salsawords, i'm really inspired by your project
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1091954
thinking of doing it similarly (just gonna get hot rails (b),cool rails (n) and probably vintage rails (mid))

You fill my belly with pride!
If you really want a Squier, then I think you should definitely go for a hardtail. Don't forget you can thin out the neck if you want. I really think you should keep the neck.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

id imagine someone has already given you this link but, click here for a great squire mod

also if you decide on a hardtail, you can take a block of wood and shove it in between the body and tail (from the back that is)

also the new EMG 81x 85x and 60x dont require soldering to install
iv heard that esp make a nice neck for strats.
what do you mean the necks on squiers are the best part? compared to their slightly up market cousin, the mexican strat, their necks are awful slabs of cheap wood.
i would start with a mex strat maple fretboard, fit locking tuning heads, a nice bridge bucker, maybe bare nuckle mule or dimarzio, and theres my perfect (cheap) super strat. maybe a tone/volume control in 1 like on nuno bettencourts signature washburn.
Quote by yourmatejosh
what do you mean the necks on squiers are the best part? compared to their slightly up market cousin, the mexican strat, their necks are awful slabs of cheap wood.

Perhaps you don't like them, but I've played many, many Squiers and found several with necks that play as well as any American or Japanese Fender I've ever played.
im all for personal opinion, but i have played more shocking squiers than good ones. and i am partial to both bass ball bat necks and slim necks, i play an old strat and an ibanez s 2075 'wizard neck' respectivly. but maybe, nesha strah, you should obtain a body on its own and aquire the rest of your peices from there, if your just going to do away with the neck that is.
Quote by distortion896
id imagine someone has already given you this link but, click here for a great squire mod

also if you decide on a hardtail, you can take a block of wood and shove it in between the body and tail (from the back that is)

also the new EMG 81x 85x and 60x dont require soldering to install

xD post above you, he gave me the inspiration

Quote by yourmatejosh
im all for personal opinion, but i have played more shocking squiers than good ones. and i am partial to both bass ball bat necks and slim necks, i play an old strat and an ibanez s 2075 'wizard neck' respectivly. but maybe, nesha strah, you should obtain a body on its own and aquire the rest of your peices from there, if your just going to do away with the neck that is.

hm, might try that, but i'm kinda on a limited budget...
i got an offer to buy an "aster" strat for like 30e (around 45$), but should really be awesome to get a mahogany body(or any "solid body", 'cause I'm guessing the aster is made out of plywood...)... tomorrow i'm going to a custom shop to check the prices of bodies/necks/hard tail bridges and stuff
MY GEAR:
Digitech RP250
Stagg Acoustic
Ibanez RGA32 (EMG 81/85)