Poll: Who was most responsible for killing hair metal?
Poll Options
View poll results: Who was most responsible for killing hair metal?
Nirvana
174 46%
Metallica
62 16%
Guns N' Roses
31 8%
Other
115 30%
Voters: 382.
Page 1 of 4
My friend and I had a debate during lunch today about this. I always thought it was Nirvana, but he claims Metallica and GnR played a bigger role. GnR was pretty close to hair metal anyways, and I'm pretty sure the Black album came out after Nevermind.

Anyways, what do you guys think? Poll coming.
Quote by Venice King
The hairdresser.

Well there goes my answer
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
How the hell did Nirvana kill hair metal?

EDIT: hair metal was going down the drain long before Nirvana's impact.
Quote by Wulphy
Being a Republican should be a handicap.
Last edited by Eliyahu at Dec 2, 2009,
Since when were any of them hair metal? especially Nirvana, wtf?!
❝Don't be afraid of death, but of an inadequate life❞
Bertolt Bretcht

Nirvana/Pixies/Butthole Surfers/RHCP/Oasis/Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer

Within the span of about 5 year, I believe.
i killed hairmetal O.o
Quote by Riffofthebeast
i just got a great idea! i think i might want to set up a blog somewhere because i have a lot of great ideas to share. would you guys read it if i did?
trolling the pit since Aug 09^
People where just sick of it, seriously just look at it. How the hell it lasted those couple years is beyond me.
SCALD
Quote by Phill-Rock
That, or being absolutely broke - though you always find money for cigarettes, then end up even more broke.

so true ^.

Quote by smb
I think it's a type of fish.

PM me for GP5
Hair metal killed hair metal. It started badly, tailed off in the middle and the less said about the end, the better... apart from that, it was excellent!
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by sharpshootr55
Steel Panther is bringing it back!

rather hilariously i might add :P
Quote by Heilz
When backstage and talkin to the ladies i always go with the ¨Mines is bigger than theirs¨ argument as me bro holds hes guitar and i take out my bass... It works wonders @,@

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3
Quote by KirkMetallica
I never said they were hair metal. I'm saying they killed hair metal.

1990 - Cherry Pie is one of the most popular rock songs of the year.
1991 - REM, Nirvana, etc popularize alternative rock(to a greater extent)
1992 - Grunge completely overtakes Hair Metal.
Quote by KeepOnRotting
It was Colonel Mustard, in the dining room with the lead pipe.

Hair metal killed itself. It drowned in a pool of suck. The only good hair metal band was Skid Row, becuase they were more metal than hair. And whoever said that Guns And Roses was "pretty close to hair metal" was wrong. They ARE hair metal.
Like punk the way it used to be? Deranged Youth Its like what Warped Tour should be!

Want to hear something mind-blowing? Pit O' Bodies Its like an amateur hypnotist plus the Spanish Inquisition!
Video did.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Why, my pasty danish cracker, I believe you've got it!
J.r.
Life is like an Empty Box, there could be something exciting in it at first look, but upon further review, well, it's empty.

Quote by pitobodies

Hair metal killed itself. It drowned in a pool of suck. The only good hair metal band was Skid Row, becuase they were more metal than hair. And whoever said that Guns And Roses was "pretty close to hair metal" was wrong. They ARE hair metal.

Guns N' Roses are definately NOT hair metal. They are classic rock. And that's it. They sound closer to Aerosmith and the Stones than Poison and Warrant and other crap.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Wiki says: "Several factors played a role in the decline, the main one being the rise of grunge music from Seattle, changing audience tastes, little or no support, lack of new contracts and the impacts of band breakups and personnel changes"

742 says, It's not going to be missed!
Wheres that guy who met John Petrucci? He had awesome hair metal hair!
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Demon Wolf
Guns N' Roses are definately NOT hair metal. They are classic rock. And that's it. They sound closer to Aerosmith and the Stones than Poison and Warrant and other crap.

Guns n Roses is NOT classic. Classic would be The Who, Zep, Stones, Beatles, etc. came into play in 1985, and that's before they were even remotely popular, it was the late 80's that they became popular, so we're in the years right before Nirvana and REM, which are not classic at all.

IMHO no genre wants Guns n Roses...
Quote by Wulphy
Being a Republican should be a handicap.
Quote by guitarhero_764
My friend and I had a debate during lunch today about this. I always thought it was Nirvana, but he claims Metallica and GnR played a bigger role. GnR was pretty close to hair metal anyways, and I'm pretty sure the Black album came out after Nevermind.

Anyways, what do you guys think? Poll coming.

First of all, wikipedia is your friend. And the other thing, grunge "killed" metal, and Metallica (of those bands) is most responsible for killing hair metal
Quote by thanksgiving
You facepalm like a pro... man I want you in bed.
Jesus, great guy.
Quote by jonnyrotten45
of course, we start talking about pizza, and end talking about putting our dicks in various objects, god bless the pit

Quote by lee 31392
I fapped over Louis Walsh.

Metal sucks
GNR is quite obviously not an option since in their very early beginnings they WERE a hairmetal/glam band. i'd say metallica.
no one really killed it, it was a fad, fads sputter out. I don;t really think any of those bands (except mabybe G'n'R) really appealed to hair metals core fan base anyway.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by guitarhero_764
GnR was pretty close to hair metal anyways

Does not compute.
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
no one really killed it, it was a fad, fads sputter out. I don;t really think any of those bands (except mabybe G'n'R) really appealed to hair metals core fan base anyway.

The popular kids? Teenage girls?
I think it was a bit of Nirvana.
I also think it was bound to happen anyway, one band couldn't have so much influence right?
But whatever, hairmetal wasn't that great.
kthxbai.
Page 1 of 4