I love the Les Paul SG but I'm having difficulty in reaching a decision between the Epiphone and Gibson models.

My budget is somewhat limited presently. So, I'm considering the Epiphone Limited Edition 1966 G-400 and replacing the pickups with Burstbucker Pro's. But I've read reviews that warn of disappointment with the Asian-made Epiphones. My motto is "there's nothing more expensive than cheap."

I am more of a composer than a guitar player, but I'm commiting some serious time to improving my guitar technique. And, being a composer, timbres are highly important to me. I prefer Miles Davis, Radiohead, punk, new wave, etc... types of music.

Are there any experienced guitarists who would be willing to share their perspectives/opinions?

Thanks!!!!!!
I like my G-400 bone stock, I put pearloid tuners on it to give it a better look and to keep in tune better.

Pickups burstbuckers would def work wonders but I'd put 498t in the bridge to give you the Gibson SGish sound instead of a whole new think with the burstbuckers.

Its either getting a G-400 Limited for 400 or paying 700 for a SG faded, both are good options
I got a Gibson SG Standard for $600 used before the market went downhill, so you could probably get one for about that same price now. It's the standard for a reason, it's an effing amazing guitar. You pick it up and it feels solid, it sounds great, and it just works every time. It doesn't feel like a cheap overlaquered quasi-plastic epiphone guitar. It's the real deal and will last you forever, and they're easy to modify to make them even better guitars.

Mine now has a P90 in the neck, better tuners (that aren't green) and a bigsby vibrato that I can remove with no evidence that it was ever there to begin with. I haven't spent more than $800 on this guitar, and it can play ANYTHING I've ever wanted to play, from high-gain metal chugging to spacy surf rock to ska to jazz to whatever.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
I'd say Gibson, but that's my personal bias. I had a really BAD experience with an Epi and a really GOOD experience with a Gibson, but that specific Epiphone looks good to me. Do what you think is best.
Why an SG? There are many guitars out there. I'm assuming that you just like the look of SGs since you're comparing a cheap one to one that costs 3 times as much. I got a G-400 as my first electric guitar. I did replace the pickups to 2 Dirty Fingers after I got my Strat. But I haven't played it since. It feels cheap, it neck-dives, the neck isn't comfortable, and it just wasn't comfortable standing up. If you do really love SGs, go with the Gibson if you have the money. But I urge you to try other things before committing to one. I also thought the SG looked cool (I don't anymore), but if I did a little more research and actually understood guitar specs, I wouldn't have gotten it.
Quote by JELIFISH19
Why an SG? There are many guitars out there. I'm assuming that you just like the look of SGs since you're comparing a cheap one to one that costs 3 times as much. I got a G-400 as my first electric guitar. I did replace the pickups to 2 Dirty Fingers after I got my Strat. But I haven't played it since. It feels cheap, it neck-dives, the neck isn't comfortable, and it just wasn't comfortable standing up. If you do really love SGs, go with the Gibson if you have the money. But I urge you to try other things before committing to one. I also thought the SG looked cool (I don't anymore), but if I did a little more research and actually understood guitar specs, I wouldn't have gotten it.

Edwards is another more affordable option for a high quality SG.MIJ,duncan pups,long tenon neck joint,nitro finish,and accurate neck and body specs.

I <3 MIJ

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Pr0gNut
Edwards is another more affordable option for a high quality SG.MIJ,duncan pups,long tenon neck joint,nitro finish,and accurate neck and body specs.

I <3 MIJ

we know, we know. keep it in your pants.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']we know, we know. keep it in your pants.

Too late

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Pr0gNut
Too late

my friend, she got me thinking the other day. Sperm is technically just compounded protein jelly with the prospect of mass disease
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']my friend, she got me thinking the other day. Sperm is technically just compounded protein jelly with the prospect of mass disease

It really is

This revelation makes aiming for the eyes so much more meaningful now.

Quote by Pr0gNut
Edwards is another more affordable option for a high quality SG.MIC,duncan pups,long tenon neck joint,nitro finish,and accurate neck and body specs.

I <3 MIC

Fixed.
Quote by Sid McCall
It doesn't feel like a cheap overlaquered quasi-plastic epiphone guitar.

This statement leads me to believe you have never played a nice Epiphone. I would agree with you if we were talking about G-310 or specials, but the higher quality ones starting with the G-400 standard are very solid guitars for the price. Mine is a 2 piece mahogany body, and it feels very similar to the gibson (aside from the neck dive but even that I have gotten used to and it is actually sort of comfortable now).

I have the very same Epiphone model that you arer thinking about and I love it. I have played it in comparison to Gibson SG specials, and a used standard, and I liked it better than the special. The standard was very comparible, but I did like the feel a little better. But for $300 (I got mine on sale) it was a great buy. I use it as my primary guitar for band practice and gigging. The stock pickups are surprisingly good, but I am probably going to upgrade them in the future. Other than that it is great.
Last edited by Ape_Natural at Dec 2, 2009,
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']new sig quote

Your sig is probably gonna get me brought up on rape and pedophilia charges.

Quote by Pr0gNut

Your sig is probably gonna get me brought up on rape and pedophilia charges.

All the best, friend.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']All the best, friend.

We can only hope right?

Well,if the rusty old van with blacked out windows and "FREE CANDY" written on the sides of it didn't tip off the authorities then I doubt your sig will.

Quote by Pr0gNut
We can only hope right?

Well,if the rusty old van with blacked out windows and "FREE CANDY" written on the sides of it didn't tip off the authorities then I doubt your sig will.

here's to hoping.
Quote by JELIFISH19

Yeah, I like the body style and light weight. Also, I live in the Deep South and prefer to support Gibson since it is based in Nashville--as opposed to Fender or Rickenbacker in South California.

Do you know of a comparable solid body electric?

Thanks for your input!
Quote by aworthey
Yeah, I like the body style and light weight. Also, I live in the Deep South and prefer to support Gibson since it is based in Nashville--as opposed to Fender or Rickenbacker in South California.

Do you know of a comparable solid body electric?

Thanks for your input!

Fender's based in Arizona, not South Carolina.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Fender's based in Arizona, not South Carolina.

Ah, so it was only founded in Fullerton, CA. (I typed South California, not South Carolina.)
Nevermind the fact that burstbuckers are just not that good...
Quote by RivercrestColts
I like my G-400 bone stock, I put pearloid tuners on it to give it a better look and to keep in tune better.

Pickups burstbuckers would def work wonders but I'd put 498t in the bridge to give you the Gibson SGish sound instead of a whole new think with the burstbuckers.

Its either getting a G-400 Limited for 400 or paying 700 for a SG faded, both are good options
A new thing? An SG with PAF/PAF-style pickups has not been a new thing since about 1961. When the SG first came out.

How a 498t the "Gibson SGish" sound. Maybe if you're talking about the Gibson sound from like... the 90s or something.
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 3, 2009,
Quote by aworthey
Ah, so it was only founded in Fullerton, CA. (I typed South California, not South Carolina.)

oops. It's what I get for living in North Carolina It might help to put "Southern" as opposed to South, though. might not be so confusing.
TBH, I really don't care for my Epiphones now apart from my MIK LP Standard. They all feel 'cheap' now.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']oops. It's what I get for living in North Carolina It might help to put "Southern" as opposed to South, though. might not be so confusing.

Yeah, that was my typo. I used to live in L.A. for about 6 years--and I still made the mistake.