Hi there.

I'm currently working on a Boss BR-600, a laptop, a Toneport GX and a Shure SM58 mic.

Anyway, I'm most probably going to get a MacBook Pro sometime soon, so I've decided to break the bank and get a synth and drum machine while I'm at it.

Any recommendations? Bear in mind I've never used either device before.

Oh, and my budget will probably be (at most) $500 altogether. In Canadian dollars. Cos I live in Alberta, Canada. Yay.

Fire away.
just get a copy of logic pro with your Mac it has all the synth and drum machine stuff you are likely to need.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Logic or Ableton Live have all that stuff. I can't recommend Ableton highly enough, you just need to put a bit of time into getting the hang of it. Then once you have a grip on it, you can dwonload hundreds of free drum sounds and synths and plug 'em right in and make music. It's awesome, I bang out full songs in a matter of hours with just a midi keyboard. It's a $50 Korg nanokey and it gets the job done with no hassle whatsoever. It even comes with a sweet synth plugin that works in any DAW to get you started right off the bat.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
I would reccomend logic of Ableton if you plan on doing a lot of conventiional recording (i.e. guitars, bass, vox and whatnot) Live is great for loop jugling and working with electronic music, it's not all that great for straight up mutlitracking

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
I would reccomend logic of Ableton if you plan on doing a lot of conventiional recording (i.e. guitars, bass, vox and whatnot) Live is great for loop jugling and working with electronic music, it's not all that great for straight up mutlitracking

As someone with Pro Tools training, and an owner of Pro Tools and Ableton, I do ALL of my multi-tracking in Live. I haven't touched PT in months. Ableton is surprisingly solid for multi-tracking, there are two faces to the DAW, one for live loop juggling and one for multi track arrangements. You can learn about one or the other and do just fine in Live, or learn both which will blow your mind then open up your world to all kinds of musical advances. I haven't quite reached that point myself, though! But yeah, Live is WAY more than just a loop program, it just happens to be the best loop program so that's all most people know about it.

To be fair, I've heard Logic is great for that stuff too. I've never worked with it, can't get my hands on a demo and I definitely can't afford the full version. Ableton is more than enough for me right now.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
As someone with Pro Tools training, and an owner of Pro Tools and Ableton, I do ALL of my multi-tracking in Live. I haven't touched PT in months. Ableton is surprisingly solid for multi-tracking, there are two faces to the DAW, one for live loop juggling and one for multi track arrangements. You can learn about one or the other and do just fine in Live, or learn both which will blow your mind then open up your world to all kinds of musical advances. I haven't quite reached that point myself, though! But yeah, Live is WAY more than just a loop program, it just happens to be the best loop program so that's all most people know about it.

To be fair, I've heard Logic is great for that stuff too. I've never worked with it, can't get my hands on a demo and I definitely can't afford the full version. Ableton is more than enough for me right now.

I'm weoll famillar with Live, and IMO it's just not as good for multi-tracking as logic (or protools for that matter) while they have added a lot of features for multi-tracking it's still a loop juggling program first and foremost, and it shows.

Last.fm
Ableton is much more than you think. Ableton can rewire into PT. Now theres a duo!
Ableton for anngements, PT for mastering. Ableton has come a long way since early versions. The new 8 is awsome. Really people tend to put ableton in the DJ class "loop" Daw. But really it has so much more. Not saying its better then logic or PT altogether. IT just so diverse. The quick navigation between session and live view gives two ways to look at recording quickly back and forth different approaches. Ableton was by far the easiest to use as well when i first started learning different DAWs my opinion....The tutorials and manuals are also Very abundant. Big plus for getting started in the DAW world.