You mean like muting? I think as long as you're not anchoring your hand really tight against the strings it should be fine, I do this too but for string muting.
Well its not bad neccesarily, it just kinda mutes the strings when you play. If you lift up your hand, the strings will sound different... your choice what to do i guess
If you are using it as a reference point, and need it to be more accurate, it's anchoring and can be very bad. If you are just using it to mute strings and don't need your hand there, it's ok.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
I agree with Junior#1. If your only using your right hand to palm mute and pick, that's fine. But if your using it as anchoring/resting hand on the strings, you'll won't be able to play the guitar accurately and efficiently as you go along in your guitar playing. It builds bad habits and you'll get use to doing it all the time. But if you build good habits now, you won't have to fix bad habits. Like everyone (including me), we have or had bad habits that were needed to be fixed. Trust me...it'll benefit you in the long run. Hope this advice is helpful to you.