I am really getting into tool's music and have been playing bass for around a year but i cant really get justin chancellors sound. can somebody help me with what i should set my eq at?
I believe there was a book that claimed the world was created in seven days. Best-seller too!

A minute is all i need...wait, that came out wrong.

Bass Gear :
Spector Legend 4 Classic
Hartke 2500 head
Hartke VX 410 cab
Last edited by pbass996 at Dec 2, 2009,
Justin uses so much extravagant gear that frankly you're never going to get his exact sound. Gotta make do with what you've got really.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
i already can. i can play schism, lateralus, aenima, and 46&2 completely. i just need eq help.
I believe there was a book that claimed the world was created in seven days. Best-seller too!

Bass Gear :
Spector Legend 4 Classic
Hartke 2500 head
Hartke VX 410 cab
Good luck with his solo's you'll need a lot of time and money for that
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Justin uses so much extravagant gear that frankly you're never going to get his exact sound. Gotta make do with what you've got really.
then how do you have your eq setup? like basics... lows mids or highs...or even on a 7band eq?

Bass Gear :
Spector Legend 4 Classic
Hartke 2500 head
Hartke VX 410 cab
he sets the eq to JESUS TONE

And thats coming from an atheist...

lol

Bass Gear :
Spector Legend 4 Classic
Hartke 2500 head
Hartke VX 410 cab
To get his tome, youll need a Wal(4000 or so) youll need two gallien krueger RBH 2001( im thinking another 4000) also all his effects two 1x15's, 2 4x10's, a really nice crossover, More studio effects and mixing. And much much more. Mess around until you can get sort of close.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
you cant get his exact tone. ive tried. you would probably need a Wal bass (which those go for well over $1000). but i think he may use some odd string gauge... maybe try looking that up. and also having a bass with active pickups helps.
Quote by izzygomez
he sets the eq to JESUS TONE

must sig.

type in toolbassplayer on youtube.

you will learn exactly what you need and why nobody else sounds like that, except, of course, toolbassplayer.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom

And that is an old picture. As far as I know, he now has a fair few more bits of equipment.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Like everyone's said, you can't really win here without at least the core of Justin's rig, but turning up the highs and lows on your amp or bass and playing with a pick will get you somewhat near it. He also uses Ernie Ball strings, for the record.
Quote by Myke.
A year?
Good luck playing any of his parts ahaha.

i could play parts of tool after a year, and he didnt say songs he said sound. that doesn't mean he wants to play his song he wants to sound like him. biiiig difference.
Quote by bass-boy-garith
i could play parts of tool after a year, and he didnt say songs he said sound. that doesn't mean he wants to play his song he wants to sound like him. biiiig difference.

THANK YOU lol finally someone gets it

Bass Gear :
Spector Legend 4 Classic
Hartke 2500 head
Hartke VX 410 cab
Quote by bass-boy-garith

Uhh, yeah dude I'm not a slow child.

Im just saying after a year it would be pretty tough to play about 85% of his parts from start to finish.
As for sound. Get a wal bass and add the largest guage strings you can find.
Quote by Myke.
Uhh, yeah dude I'm not a slow child.

Im just saying after a year it would be pretty tough to play about 85% of his parts from start to finish.
As for sound. Get a wal bass and add the largest guage strings you can find.

I play less than a year( my bassday will be in jan.) and i can play tool no prob. (tho if i use standard tuning 5 string it goes a bit slower ...).
Cookie monster genocide my nation! HE MUST DIE MENS

Art is never finished it is only abandoned.

Real mitalhead don't give a f**k if it is Wensday or a dick in the a**
I reccomend you to buy the Sansamp Bass Driver Di, so you can get that gritty "in yo face crack ho" tone, then start looking for effects like chorus (boss chorus enssemble), flanger (boss bf3), delay pedal (boss dd7 or dd6), wah wah and a fuzz
Boost your mids and treble and keep your bass high, use a pick and try turning up your tone nob. maybe a tad bit of gain/distortion so that you hear a bit when you hit the higher stings.