I made this post over in acoustic talk (not realizing there was a board basically for theory) and I got a suggestion to try it here.

I was thinking of posting a quick tutorial of modes on a article that mentioned them but didn't explain them, but then I thought better of myself as I'm not rock solid in the area. I figured I'd post what I came up with here and get some corrections and critiquing of my own understanding. This isn't supposed to be a guide that I trying to get people to use, I'm just looking for a check on my own understanding-although if it is right and it helps someone that's cool too.

Most descriptions of modes are fairly reliant on knowledge of a Major Scale. The Major Scale is simply a set of 8 notes with a specific interval between each note. The order of these intervals is w-w-h-w-w-w-h, with "w" being a whole step, and "h" being a half step. A C Major scale contains no flats or sharps because there is a whole step between each natural note except for B-C and E-F, which have half steps. These notes happen to be located at the 7th-8th scale degrees and 3rd-4th scale degrees, respectively, resulting in a scale with no flats or sharps.

Modes can basically be thought of as augmenting an Major scale or starting an alternate Major scale from a different scale degree, based on the name of the mode. Running a D Dorian scale is basically playing a C Major scale going from D to D instead of C to C. Alternatively you can memorize the differences in all the modes alternatively. D Dorian is a D Major scale with a flat 3rd and 7th degree (in this case, F and C). An interesting example is the Aeolian mode which is also known as a natural minor scale-both having a flat 3, 6, and 7 degree. You could think of playing this mode/scale this way, or by thinking of it as playing a C major scale starting from A since A is the 6th degree of the C scale.

An important note is that D Dorian, E Phrygian, etc are all diatonic to C Ionian, or Major, but only because they happen to be the second and third degrees of the C Ionian mode. E Dorian, for example, can be thought of as playing an E Major scale with a flat 3 and 7, or as playing an 8 note scale in the key of D Major starting from E, the second degree.

Degree started from: (think of the mode name as this scale degree of a Major Scale)

Ionian-1
Dorian-2
Phrygian-3
Lydian-4
Mixolydian-5
Aeolian-6
Locrian-7

Augmentations to Major Scale: (think of a Major Scale of the mode's name, but with these augmentations)

Ionian-Major
Dorian-flat 3, 7
Phrygian-flat 2, 3, 6, 7
Lydian-sharp 4
Mixolydian-flat 7
Aeolian-flat 3, 6, 7 (also Natural Minor)
Locrian-flat 2, 3, 5, 6, 7
>.> modes are always an argument here and there is a sticky for them..............

there even in the fact aswell which is also stickied....

sorry to burst your bubble
song stuck in my head today

That's all well and good, but it's been covered a million times.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.