After months of research and deliberation I've finally chosen what my first electric guitar will be, an Epiphone Les Paul, but of course, its never that simple is it?

I can't decide between the LP Custom and the LP Standard, so, what are the differences? I've always played acoustic so I'm not that well up on electric guitars and would like the advice of someone with experience of the guitars =]

Which should I go for and why?

Thanks a lot Will

EDIT: Also what is a Plus top standard and would I be better off with one of these instead of the other two?
Last edited by Paranoia-Will at Dec 2, 2009,
Price and aesthetics are the only difference. Unless you get the three pickup model.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Honestly, there SHOULD be little difference in the craftsmanship between the Standard and the Custom. The biggest difference SHOULD be cosmetics.
However, that is probably only partially true. My Standard and my Custom are too far apart in year (and made in different countries, as well) to really compare to each other.
If you aren't dead-set on the Epiphone brand, you may wish to consider other reputable Les Paul copies, such as Agile and Hagstrom.
Whichever way you decide to go, your best bet is to play them yourself and see which speaks to you more. Also, keep in mind this is to be your 'first' electric guitar. Not your last.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
No real difference between the current run of them, other than aesthetics.

As someone else pointed out though, there is the three pickup model. Which (without modding it) I can't see ever being as good as the two-pickup model.

Plus-top refers to having a flamed maple top. It's really nothing but a prettier top - no tonal effects.
I had the same problem as you!
This is how it works.

The only difference between a custom and standard is appearance:
1)Gold hardware vs chrome hardware
2)Black knobs vs bronze knobs
3)Custom inlays vs standard inlays
4)Better finish vs normal finish
5)And also custom models have that white/black line over corners and bends.

I was doubting between these 4 guitars:
1)Les Paul Standard
2)Les Paul Standard Plus Top
3)Les Paul Custom
4)Les Paul Custom Chrome

And it depends on how you want, do you want to spend the extra money on appereance?
I had chosen for the Les Paul Custom Chrome, but since they were not available in my country i went for the Les Paul Custom (White).

Frankly i would have chosen the Les Paul Standard IF only the knobs were different -> Black guitar + bronze knobs = ugly
After that the Plus Top seemed the best choice, but since i already had a guitar with the plus top/Vintage sunburst and didnt want an other one.

So because of a system of annalihation, i had only one option left and that was the Les Paul Custom.

Hope i helped
I love my epi LP custom!

I was in the store playing it, I played the standards there too, and I just liked mine better.

No guitar is going to be EXACTLY the same. You can get a great LP and a shit LP and have them both the same price and maybe even same year!

Go into the place and see which one feels nicer.

Pics of my LP in my profile.
Quote by mdwallin
I love my epi LP custom!

I was in the store playing it, I played the standards there too, and I just liked mine better.

No guitar is going to be EXACTLY the same. You can get a great LP and a shit LP and have them both the same price and maybe even same year!

Go into the place and see which one feels nicer.

Pics of my LP in my profile.

Omg lucker! :p
You have the Les Paul Custom Chrome which like i said was my first choice, but they dont sell it where i live.
That guitar is a real beast :P
You just had to show me the chrome custom :'(, Its GORGEOUS!!! but unfortunatly, they don't sell it in my country either, leaving me very gutted =[

Anyway, I've decided on the custom, only if this is the genuine thing: http://www.reidys.com/index.pl?submit=View_PLU&PLU=790&utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=Feed&utm_campaign=PriceComparison

thats £100 cheaper than I expected, and its the only place that sells it for that much, heres the next cheapest: http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Custom-Ebony-Gold-HW/A8B

do you think the first one is genuine? or will I be getting ripped off?
Well I dont know much about those sites, but that what the guitar looks like and those descriptions are correct.
I play mainly punk, and alternative rock, the other guitar I was contemplating was a BC Rich Mockingbird Special or Special X, I have read reviews and looked on forums and BC Rich don't seem to recieve a warm reception and are mainly for metal but would I be better off getting a Mockingbird over the epi les paul?
Last edited by Paranoia-Will at Dec 3, 2009,
Quote by Paranoia-Will
I play mainly punk, and alternative rock, the other guitar I was contemplating was a BC Rich Mockingbird Special or Special X, I have read reviews and looked on forums and BC Rich don't seem to recieve a warm reception and are mainly for metal but would I be better off getting a Mockingbird over the epi les paul?

Those are 2 totally different guitars! ^^
The best is just to play on both of them and see which one is more fun to play on.
This is will prolly determine your descision.
Play on a guitar, mark out the pros against the cons and if your still doubting come back here and post those pros and cons and we'll help you again.
I have a custom, one with 3 pick ups, and I like it better than the standards. Of course I upgraded it with Seymour Duncans... But sometimes I do wish it was just a two pickup, the third one doesn't really make the guitar any better at all. The two pickup models have a much wider range of tones.
If you are not in Europe, don't waste your time with an Epiphone. Take it from my experience, Just get an Agile 3000. You will pay less and get more.
I'm in Europe :P, thanks for all your help guys, I'm getting my Epiphone tonight hopefully =]
Don't know if it's because of date and country of origin, but my 94 custom has a thinner neck than the standard. I prefer it a lot more. And it's generally nicer to play, the neck feels less toyish than the standard.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
Quote by Flying Couch
No real difference between the current run of them, other than aesthetics.

As someone else pointed out though, there is the three pickup model. Which (without modding it) I can't see ever being as good as the two-pickup model.

Plus-top refers to having a flamed maple top. It's really nothing but a prettier top - no tonal effects.

wrong...a maple cap brightens up the tone significantly
Quote by aschreiber2010
wrong...a maple cap brightens up the tone significantly

This is what everyone says, but I have never heard any significant difference in tone from a maple cap, that could not be attributed to other factors.