So heres the story:
A new music store is opening up about 5 minutes walking distance from my house, and I need help writing an application letter. This will be my first time applying for a job, and my age and inexperience will be aimed against me. But, I love playing guitar and music more than anything else in the world. So, any advice for writing a letter like this? The store hasn't opened yet, so I have quite a bit of time to write it. But I really want this job. So please, help!
How old are you? Unfortunately, if you're under 16, it's unlikely that they'll hire you.

That said, mention in your letter that you play guitar, LEAD a band (shows that you have epic leadership skillz), have played in concerts (shows that you can manage your time and arrive prepared), maybe even organised concerts or school events or something.

Also, go talk to them in person. It'll create a more lasting impression that way.

Good luck!

EDIT: When applying for university, I was recommended this site
http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/

Check out the "Professional, Technical and Job Search writing" section. Hope that helps.
Last edited by sashki at Dec 2, 2009,
Aww I thought you meant you needed help with an alphabetic letter, I really coulda helped ya there.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
You start out with a general CV and add a covering letter.

The covering letter should explain why you want that job and why you feel you're the right man for the job. Highlight your enthusiasm, experience with guitars etc, you have no prior work experience so you're going to have to find other examples of work-related skills from your school and personal life. Team working, personal skills, communication skills, you need to prove you have these.
Quote by sashki
How old are you? Unfortunately, if you're under 16, it's unlikely that they'll hire you.

That said, mention in your letter that you play guitar, LEAD a band (shows that you have epic leadership skillz), have played in concerts (shows that you can manage your time and arrive prepared), maybe even organised concerts or school events or something.

Also, go talk to them in person. It'll create a more lasting impression that way.

Good luck!

EDIT: When applying for university, I was recommended this site
http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/

Check out the "Professional, Technical and Job Search writing" section. Hope that helps.

I appreciate all the feedback, and just for a bit of extra info, I'm 15. And I realized that I have had one prior job as a sort of unofficial temp at a local recreation department, doing data entry and other odd jobs.

ALSO: IT ISN'T GUITAR CENTER. It's a branch of the Music Go Round corporation.
Last edited by Novationband at Dec 2, 2009,
Quote by Novationband
I appreciate all the feedback, and just for a bit of extra info, I'm 15. And I realized that I have had one prior job as a sort of unofficial temp at a local recreation department, doing data entry and other odd jobs.

That's good, at least you've had some experience.

Plus, the work experience you've done is good because it contains several odd jobs, which is probably what you'll be doing. Stacking stuff on shelves, maybe tuning guitars. Everyone starts out small.

I've been to guitar shops that employed people of about my age (16-18). Some of them didn't know what to do with a tube amp, or how to connect a head to a cabinet.
What I've come up with so far: HELP. edit. Fix. I am not good at this. Edited for personal information. tell me what i need to add.

To the owner of Music Go Round *****,
I am eagerly anticipating the opening of your store, as ***** has gone without a music store with heart for too long. My name is *****, and I am 15 years old. I am a high school student at ***** High School, I have been playing guitar for almost 4 years, but I am extremely dedicated and have made being an excellent guitarist my full focus. I can tune guitars by ear, and have been leading a local band called Novation for a year. We haven't played any official shows yet, but plan to play Rock Off Main Street soon. Seeing as your store is not yet open, I was wondering if you still had any part time positions open. I have had one previous job before, as somewhat of an unofficial temp at the Westwood Recreation Department, where I performed various tasks, such as stacking boxes and data entry. I also am quite knowledgeable about guitars and brands, as well as amplifiers. While I do have much to learn about the working world, I feel that I would be suitable for any job involving guitars, including stocking shelves or other various tasks. My bus stop is less than a 5 minute walk from the future location of your store, so arriving at work quickly after school isn't a problem. I would probably arrive around 2:45-3:00 pm.
Dear [Shop],
My name is [Name] and I would like a job at your shop. I know all about guitars and shit so I could sell lots of stuff.

Yours faithfully,
[Name]
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.