So I am setting up an old strat of mine and I have a few questions.

1. It has a tremolo but I will not be using it, can I simple loosen the tremolo springs completely in the back of the guitar and it will be fine?

2. I bought some new bridge saddles (it was missing a few) and the action is about half as high as it was, what will I have to adjust if anything to compensate for this? (intonation etc.)

3. How far away should the pickups (all singles) be away from the strings?

4.Any advice on setting up a strat in general

Much thanks in advance.
Quote by Guitarfreak777
So I am setting up an old strat of mine and I have a few questions.

1. It has a tremolo but I will not be using it, can I simple loosen the tremolo springs completely in the back of the guitar and it will be fine?

2. I bought some new bridge saddles (it was missing a few) and the action is about half as high as it was, what will I have to adjust if anything to compensate for this? (intonation etc.)

3. How far away should the pickups (all singles) be away from the strings?

4.Any advice on setting up a strat in general

Much thanks in advance.

1. Don't loosen the strings, that is what keeps the bridge set against the string tension. You could add more springs depending on your string gague and just take the bar out, or you could physically block it with a block of wood.

2. With your bridge saddles, you may need to tighten/highten them just a little. If they're already hightened/tightened, it could be a truss rod thing, which I would say if it deals with the Rod, let a professional look at it.

3. Pickup height can vary, as long as they're not too recessed into the body, or touching the strings, you can set them however you like.

4. One thing to pay attention to when you change strings is the nut. On mine, when I put on a fresh set, I use graphite in the nut to counter friction so when I bend, the strings don't pull sharp.

Good luck!
Main Setup:
Charvel So-Cal

Dunlop Volume
Digitech Tuner
Custom Compressor
VFE Blues King
Ibanez TS9 30th Anniv
Boss DD20
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Hardwire Supernatural
Loop-Master 2 Channel Looper

Mesa Single Rec
You can block off the trem but if you have never set up saddles and action you really should let a luthier do it. Or get a book and learn how to do it. There is so much to go into detail about what you will need to do that there is not enough room here. Action, Intonation, Saddles heights and adjustments, trem block, pickup heights, nut adjustments or replacement. Two years ago the only thing I knew about a guitar is how to pick it up and strum. I bought several books on how to setup a guitar and also "The Fender Stratocaster set up book". Now I setup my own guitar and can adjust when needed. Not sure about Guitar Center or Sam Ash but a GOOD Luthier will do a setup for around $79. If you are interested in which books I got let me know and I will post them. Good luck

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp