What's up people..
I own a JS30KV, it's a "low end" jackson, but it plays better than the 1000ish guitars I was going to buy.
I have the D-Sonic/Air Norton set. They sound amazing.
I play Metalcore but I compose mainly Instrumental.
I want to replace my neck pickup because it sounds fatter than what I like, I want a neck pickup that screams and pick harmonics amazingly (something vai-ish, dragonshit-ish)
Dragonshit-ish?
That made me laugh for several minutes endlessly

I don't have a lot of experience with neck humbuckers, so I'd say listen to other people.
I'm curious, though, what a JB would sound like in the neck?
Quote by IROn 5L1nKY
Dragonshit-ish?
That made me laugh for several minutes endlessly

I don't have a lot of experience with neck humbuckers, so I'd say listen to other people.
I'm curious, though, what a JB would sound like in the neck?

Yeah.. I completely hate the band, don't get me wrong, they might be actually good players but they suck composing (imho)

I said dragonforce because even though I hate them, their leads scream.. I think they use the same pickups as Vai so I don't know really
Quote by IHeartMyCrybaby
What's up people..
I own a JS30KV, it's a "low end" jackson, but it plays better than the 1000ish guitars I was going to buy.
I want to replace my neck pickup because it sounds fatter than what I like, I want a neck pickup that screams and pick harmonics amazingly (something vai-ish, dragonshit-ish)

DiMarzio Evo neck.
Maybe you should consider active pickups, EMGS etc. One way to get that kind of tone.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']DiMarzio Evo neck.

Yes, that's the only one I've thought.. and I think I'm going to end buying it. Is there any other choices similar to it? I heard about some Suhr pickups

Also, I'm not buying actives.
Quote by IHeartMyCrybaby
Yes, that's the only one I've thought.. and I think I'm going to end buying it. Is there any other choices similar to it? I heard about some Suhr pickups

Also, I'm not buying actives.

I have the Evo Bridge pickup in my Ibby, and it sounds amazing. Since I also tend to favor the neck pickup nowadays, I can only imagine what the Evo Neck would sound like.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']I have the Evo Bridge pickup in my Ibby, and it sounds amazing. Since I also tend to favor the neck pickup nowadays, I can only imagine what the Evo Neck would sound like.

How does it picks that "harmonic feedback"?
You mean, how are the harmonics on it? It has amazingly sharp razor-edged harmonics to it. Neck p'up might be a little thicker, but I imagine it'll have the same effect.
Neck pickups don't scream, that's what the bridge pickup is for.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']You mean, how are the harmonics on it? It has amazingly sharp razor-edged harmonics to it. Neck p'up might be a little thicker, but I imagine it'll have the same effect.

Nice.. Any idea of any pickup that is able to do something similar?
Quote by IHeartMyCrybaby
Nice.. Any idea of any pickup that is able to do something similar?

Maybe a PAF Pro, but that has more of a Paul Gilbert sound to it, considering he used it for many years.

Also, I just remembered, I had the chance to play a Jem, and the pickups are exactly what you'd be looking for.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Maybe a PAF Pro, but that has more of a Paul Gilbert sound to it, considering he used it for many years.

Also, I just remembered, I had the chance to play a Jem, and the pickups are exactly what you'd be looking for.

Great, thanks dude you're really helpful
Quote by steven seagull

that's the first thing I thought.

neck pickups sing.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by glemnar
Maybe you should consider active pickups, EMGS etc. One way to get that kind of tone.

I really hate how no matter what some one asks for, atleast 3 people will come in and say "EMG PWNZ". Theyre not very good pick ups.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by VanTheKraut
I really hate how no matter what some one asks for, atleast 3 people will come in and say "EMG PWNZ". Theyre not very good pick ups.

He just tried to help, like 200 other people just came, watch and took off. However, all EMG-equipped guitars I've played had a pretty good sustain, but the tone had nothing special.
Quote by IHeartMyCrybaby
He just tried to help, like 200 other people just came, watch and took off. However, all EMG-equipped guitars I've played had a pretty good sustain, but the tone had nothing special.

The tone is pretty sterile, a little too compressed if you ask me. but the sustain is a good strong point.
Quote by steven seagull

That's what I was thinking. I usually use the neck for soloing, but that's because I like a smooth and powerful tone for it. If I want a screaming and snarling tone, that's where the bridge likes to play. Trying to get a screaming bridge seems like you're fighting the guitar for no real reason.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
If you want a smooth and powerful neck, you should consider the DiMarzio Liquifire. Listen to his solo in "As I Am". It's a perfect example of his tone.
99% of my posts will probably be entirely misinformed, malformed, malware infested, and... marmalade topped.

Oh, and your tongue is on fire.
Quote by Kurapica
That's what I was thinking. I usually use the neck for soloing, but that's because I like a smooth and powerful tone for it. If I want a screaming and snarling tone, that's where the bridge likes to play. Trying to get a screaming bridge seems like you're fighting the guitar for no real reason.

I know. I didn't mean "screaming", I got my terms confused. English is not my main language and I always confuse myself because in other languages some words are synonyms and in English they're not.

I meant I wanted a thinner sounding neck pickup, the Air Norton is just way too fast for my taste, that's why I said Vai-Ish, Dragonforce-Ish

Quote by slashe50
If you want a smooth and powerful neck, you should consider the DiMarzio Liquifire. Listen to his solo in "As I Am". It's a perfect example of his tone.

I haven't played a guitar with it, but based on clips, The Air Norton and the Liquifire are not really different. The Liquifire is a little tighter.
Last edited by IHeartMyCrybaby at Dec 3, 2009,
Quote by IHeartMyCrybaby
I know. I didn't mean "screaming", I got my terms confused. English is not my main language and I always confuse myself because in other languages some words are synonyms and in English they're not.

I meant I wanted a thinner sounding neck pickup, the Air Norton is just way too fast for my taste, that's why I said Vai-Ish, Dragonforce-Ish

Oh, sorry then mate. I speak a couple of languages too, so I know exactly what you mean. You should be happy though, as your English was so good I thought you were native. I've had similar problems with my second language (Korean). I was using a word which I thought meant "Excited", which is what my dictionary said anyways, only to later find out it did indeed mean excited...just sexually excited haha.

Have you considered just putting a single coil in the neck? You can get pickup mounts so that single coils fit in a humbucker routing. That would give you a more cutting tone.

Like this:

Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

If you're going to go with Kurapica's idea with single coils, the ones that would work the best for you would probably be the DiMarzio True Velvet (neck) or the DiMarzio FS-1. I'm not too savvy with Seymour Duncans so you could also look there too.
99% of my posts will probably be entirely misinformed, malformed, malware infested, and... marmalade topped.

Oh, and your tongue is on fire.
Quote by VanTheKraut
I really hate how no matter what some one asks for, atl east 3 people will come in and say "EMG PWNZ". They're not very good pick ups in my opinion.

Fixed.

Your opinions don't equal facts kiddo .

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Pr0gNut
Fixed.

Your opinions don't equal facts kiddo .

Chill dude, he was just trying to help.. Hundreds of people didn't say a thing..

Quote by Kurapica

Oh, sorry then mate. I speak a couple of languages too, so I know exactly what you mean. You should be happy though, as your English was so good I thought you were native. I've had similar problems with my second language (Korean). I was using a word which I thought meant "Excited", which is what my dictionary said anyways, only to later find out it did indeed mean excited...just sexually excited haha.

Have you considered just putting a single coil in the neck? You can get pickup mounts so that single coils fit in a humbucker routing. That would give you a more cutting tone.

I understand you. Excited in spanish (excitado) means horny

OMG that looks and sounds nice.. How will it handle Hi-Gain tones?, because I mean, I play instrumental a lot because that's what I compose to myself. However, my band plays metalcore/deathcore/progressive.
Quote by IHeartMyCrybaby
Chill dude, he was just trying to help.. Hundreds of people didn't say a thing..

OMG that looks and sounds nice.. How will it handle Hi-Gain tones?, because I mean, I play instrumental a lot because that's what I compose to myself. However, my band plays metalcore/deathcore/progressive.

I wasn't aware I was out of control

I simply dislike how he whines and bitches about EMG's in any thread that mentions them in a positive light.It's childish and ignorant,and I try to correct that kind of behavior on these forums for the sake of intellectual honesty.

But seriously,for progressive and instrumental metal a D-sonic in the bridge and an evo or breed in the neck would make for an awesome combo.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Pr0gNut
I wasn't aware I was out of control

I simply dislike how he whines and bitches about EMG's in any thread that mentions them in a positive light.It's childish and ignorant,and I try to correct that kind of behavior on these forums for the sake of intellectual honesty.

But seriously,for progressive and instrumental metal a D-sonic in the bridge and an evo or breed in the neck would make for an awesome combo.

I get your point But as I said, I'd rather have childish posts than have 0 posts.

That's what I was going to ask, What's the difference between the Breed and the Evo? I think that the Breed is more bassy
Quote by IHeartMyCrybaby
I get your point But as I said, I'd rather have childish posts than have 0 posts.

That's what I was going to ask, What's the difference between the Breed and the Evo? I think that the Breed is more bassy

Yes,but you shouldn't confuse a kid whining because someone disagrees with his opinions for actual useful help .All he was saying is "I don't like them so you shouldn't,and anyone who likes them is wrong" basically.

The breed isn't so much bassy as it is more even than the evo IMO.I prefer it in the neck to the evo because it gives a good balance between output and smoothness.I personally don't want my neck leads to be unbalanced or treble heavy,because it ruins the fluidity of the sound,but you need a moderate output and balanced EQ so the fluid tone doesn't turn into a muddy tone.I personally find that the breed pulls that off nicely,but if you want more edge to your tone then the evo is the way to go.If you want a Vai and DF-ish neck tone then the evo might be right,since they both use/used evo pups.They come standard in most JEM models and the Sam Totman sig Ibanez has them,and Li used to use them before he got his signature S series IIRC.

Quote by IHeartMyCrybaby

They can handle what you're after, if you want a more refined tone. After all, you can just use the bridge for more snarling tones, with the single coil taking up solo duties etc. Also, if you want a simple answer for a brighter tone, if you change the pots with 1Meg pots, you can brighten the tone really simply.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

Quote by Pr0gNut
Yes,but you shouldn't confuse a kid whining because someone disagrees with his opinions for actual useful help .All he was saying is "I don't like them so you shouldn't,and anyone who likes them is wrong" basically.

The breed isn't so much bassy as it is more even than the evo IMO.I prefer it in the neck to the evo because it gives a good balance between output and smoothness.I personally don't want my neck leads to be unbalanced or treble heavy,because it ruins the fluidity of the sound,but you need a moderate output and balanced EQ so the fluid tone doesn't turn into a muddy tone.I personally find that the breed pulls that off nicely,but if you want more edge to your tone then the evo is the way to go.If you want a Vai and DF-ish neck tone then the evo might be right,since they both use/used evo pups.They come standard in most JEM models and the Sam Totman sig Ibanez has them,and Li used to use them before he got his signature S series IIRC.

Thanks for the help dude I think I'm going to end up buying the Evo

Quote by Kurapica
They can handle what you're after, if you want a more refined tone. After all, you can just use the bridge for more snarling tones, with the single coil taking up solo duties etc. Also, if you want a simple answer for a brighter tone, if you change the pots with 1Meg pots, you can brighten the tone really simply.

I'll make some research about the pots, just to make sure I won't regret it. The only thing about single coils is that I'm afraid to get feedback/hum because of the Hi-Gain, I mean if i'm playing some riffs and then change to the neck pickup to play a sweep or something
Quote by IHeartMyCrybaby
Thanks for the help dude I think I'm going to end up buying the Evo

I'll make some research about the pots, just to make sure I won't regret it. The only thing about single coils is that I'm afraid to get feedback/hum because of the Hi-Gain, I mean if i'm playing some riffs and then change to the neck pickup to play a sweep or something

Of course, it's important to do your own research too. As for noise...if you're sweeping you wouldn't be able to hear any buzz, surely? I know what you mean though. There's a million options for what you're after so just look around. Perhaps even a trebly humbucker, installed with a coil split would do the trick?
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

Quote by IHeartMyCrybaby
I know. I didn't mean "screaming", I got my terms confused.

Well, some bands would consider screaming a synonym for singing...
Humbucker from Hell is standing out a mile here having read the recent posts.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
If you want a neck pickup that 'screams' and reacts to playing dynamics well (i.e. your harmonics will come through clearer, which seems to be what you were asking for), you actually want to go for something very low output with a high resonant peak. Things like a SD Pearly Gates, Jazz or Full Shred should fit the bill nicely.

You need to remember that with neck pickups, your playing technique is going to come through in the most extreme ways; if your technique is good, the neck pickup will actually pick up on it better than the bridge pickup will. However if you make any mistakes or if your technique is a bit shoddy, the neck pickup will make that more obvious and be far more indistinct than the bridge pickup. This is why so many people think to make use of pinch harmonics you need to use the bridge pickup; in reality they'll come out just as well with the neck pickup, it's just your technique has to be refined that bit more to get them going through the neck. No pickup, no matter how good, is going to rectify bad technique. If your technique sucks, you're never going to achieve the clarity and response you want.

Edit: consider Q-Tuners too. They're the most responsive, reactive pickups around - though they can be too responsive.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Dec 4, 2009,
Quote by IHeartMyCrybaby
What's up people..

there's a couple of pup u can get, dimarzio evo, breed, PAFjoe, D activator
seymor duncan will be blackout, SH series such as sh1, sh 10, sh14 and invader.
My Guitar and gear:
09 Ibanez S prestige
09 Ibanez RG prestige
09 Ibanez Egen18
09 Ibanez 7 string UV custom
Bad Horsie Wah Pedal
digitec rp1000
Randall T2 HH all tube head
Vox Ac30 all tube heads
Randall RS412XL cabs