Can someone explain these to me? I'm looking into a gibson Les Paul studio and they have 490R and 498T Alnico 2 magnet humbucker pickups.
What are these pickups good for? I play metal like slayer and metallica but also heavier than that like extreme metal bands.
I'm looking into this so I can play melodic stuff too, not just metal. So could you tell me what these pickups can do as far as that?
Quote by pedroskins
Can someone explain these to me? I'm looking into a gibson Les Paul studio and they have 490R and 498T Alnico 2 magnet humbucker pickups.
What are these pickups good for? I play metal like slayer and metallica but also heavier than that like extreme metal bands.
I'm looking into this so I can play melodic stuff too, not just metal. So could you tell me what these pickups can do as far as that?

I feel that you can do better...

Generally, I'd recommend ceramic pickup for metal if possible. Alnico pickups tend to roll off the high end frequencies and have a warmer sound.

A Seymour Duncan SH6 or a DiMarzio Super Distortion or the DiMarzio D Activator
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
I feel that you can do better...

Generally, I'd recommend ceramic pickup for metal if possible. Alnico pickups tend to roll off the high end frequencies and have a warmer sound.

A Seymour Duncan SH6
or a DiMarzio Super Distortion or the DiMarzio D Activator

That pickup is amazing.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Would it be a good idea to get that guitar if I like it and then change the pickups to Seymour Duncan's or dimarzzio's?
I think it would be a better idea to first buy the guitar you like and then get an amp you like.

The amps you have will not flatter any pickup changes. In fact the difference between the stock pickups and an aftermarket will be so similar through your amps, the difference will be negligible.

Change your amp through a more transparent amp before a pickup change.

Or even better yet, change your amps before you buy a new guitar. A pickup change with a Spider III or an MG is a waste of time.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Dec 3, 2009,
I'm planning on buying a new tube amp sometime after I get the guitar (budgeting and all) any suggestion on this situation?
Last edited by pedroskins at Dec 3, 2009,
Quote by pedroskins
I'm planning on buying a new tube amp sometime after I get the guitar (budgeting and all) any suggestion on this situation?

If you're sure you want THAT guitar, get it.

Or you could get the amp first so you can get good tones while you save up for the guitar.

However, you will only change your pickups after you've extensively played the guitar through the amp. Who knows, the stock pickups might just work for you.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Alright. I guess what I'll do then is get the guitar that's right for me and then eg the amp and play through the amp til I decide if I want or need to change pickups
Agreed, amp makes the biggest difference in your sound. A $ 4,000 guitar played through a crap amp sounds like crap. A $ 200 guitar played through a great amp sounds great.
Epiphone SG
Crate V-18 212
Xaviere XV-500
Boss PS-5 SUPER Shifter
Digitech Bad Monkey

SWINE FLU FREE SINCE 1974
That's true. I was thinking of getting a tube amp first but then my guitar broke and I go back the money(extended plan) and I was going to get a replacement along with work and Christmas money. I guess I could just save the check from the guitar and use work and Christmas money to buy a new amp.
This would leave me $500 short for the Les Paul, but I guess amps are more important.
Quote by MoroneSaxatilis
Agreed, amp makes the biggest difference in your sound. A $ 4,000 guitar played through a crap amp sounds like crap. A $ 200 guitar played through a great amp sounds great.

+1

I sold an Epiphone les paul ultra for the extra cash i needed to buy a Gibson les paul studio... straight out of the box, I think the epi had better tone not that the gibson is crap, but I miss that epi so much.

that being said, don't be too hung up on brand name of a guitar. Your amp definitely will "flavor" your tone more than the guitar. I have an amp that I love, and a guitar that I like a lot, but now I'm wishing my stock pickups were a little better, and considering changing them out. I would agree with others who have said that the pickups should be basically the last thing on your list of upgrades
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Alright cool. I'm just having trouble looking into amps. Again I like playig metal, right now I'm only playing slayer but soon I'll be looking up tabs for lamb of god and behemoth, etc. Is there any good tube amps to look into?
Another question. If budgetig for me would be better to get the guitar would it be better to get the guitar, if I knew I would be getting a nice tube amp sometime soon?