Just a few questions about the Major/Minor scales and how to compose a sad melody.

For instance, if I wanted to compose a sad song or melody, would it be best to go by a minor scale? And is it only recommended to start the melody by only using the 1st, 3rd and 5th degrees?

What about the Major scale as to getting a sad tone. I know the 2nd degree is the sadest, but is it always preferred to use the relative minor scale over the minor chords in a major?

Am I just confusing myself of others too?
Try a minor scale, namely the 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, and 9th degrees.
There's a good video on phrasing here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxh6O0aR_lg
Remember to flow with the chord changes, and use chord tones to your advantage.
well, normally the minor is considered sadder, but the major scale can be sad too, it just depends on how you use it.

I know the 2nd degree is the sadest, but is it always preferred to use the relative minor scale over the minor chords in a major?

... huh? the relative minor scale over the minor chords? um, if your chord progression is major then you will be playing the major scale, not it's relative minor. over certain chords you can emphasize the notes of the chord, thus sounding minor over the minor chords, but you're not changing scales unless you modulate.

edit: I realized it looks like I'm saying you should write in major or try both, but I'm just saying it's possible to write a sad song in a major key, but it'd be easier in minor.
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Dec 2, 2009,