Page 1 of 2
Alright, here's the deal. I'm going to Megadeth/Machine Head concert tomorrow night, and I'm considering earplugs. I have Tinnitus ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinnitus ), which for me is genetic and is a constant ringing in my ears, much like what you have after a loud concert. I want to know, if I'm seen in the pit with earplugs in, will I get my hind handed to me? What are your opinions on earplugs at concerts?
I AM MASTER OF JIGGLYPUFF.

Current Gear:
Gibson Boneyard with Bigsby
Gibson 93' Explorer W/Nailbombs
G&L 93' Legacy W/Noiseless
Gibson 95' Doublecut W/Angus Bridge

Mesa Stiletto Trident
Bogner Shiva
Mesa 2x12 & 4x12 Cabs
I don't have tinnitus and even I have earplugs. If anyone gives you trouble for it chances are that they may be legally retarded. There's nothing cool about damaging the ear...
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I wear earplugs because I care about my hearing and wish to be able to hear music in the future.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by Kensai
I don't have tinnitus and even I have earplugs. If anyone gives you trouble for it chances are that they may be legally retarded. There's nothing cool about damaging the ear...

The Swede speaks the truth. Particularly when you're a musician, or simply enjoy something that involves sounds, there is absolutely no reason to 'intentionally' harm your ears.

S t a i r s s r i a t S

Quote by Dirge Humani
Tinnitus sucks

Yes sir. The ringing is there. It's always there. And it never leaves. NEVER.

Current Gear:

Mesa Stiletto Trident
Bogner Shiva
Mesa 2x12 & 4x12 Cabs
Last edited by Butthead at Dec 2, 2009,
ive started to use ear plugs. im a training sound engineer so if i lose my hearing im out of work.
Bad Taste: awesomest of all movies,

360 Gamertag: S3AT0N
Guitars: Jackson RR3
I personally couldn't bring myself to wear plugs at a concert, saying that i don't know what it would be like for someone like you.

You could just try listening to the bands without them at first and if its too much then put them in.

By the way your so lucky to go to a concert like that! i've seen machine head twice and they ruled hard both times, i still haven't seen megadeth yet but i'm positive they'll rock balls deep!
ESP: EC-401

Hughes & Kettner: Tubemeister 18 Head
Harley Benton: G212 Vintage Cabinet

Dunlop: ZW-45 Zakk Wylde CryBaby Wah
Boss: TU-2 Chromatic Tuner
Boss: Mt-2 Metal Zone
Electro Harmonix: Memory Toy Delay
Boss: NS-2 Noise Supressor
Quote by Butthead
Yes sir. The ringing is there. And it never leaves. NEVER.

Mine is like an extremely high-frequency alarm or sine wave. It almost sounds like a solid tone, but there are noticeable gaps in it. It makes falling asleep hell.
Bitches dont know about my ear damage.

If you want to hear in your later life, wear earplugs.
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

you can get ear plugs that lower the volume without screwing with the tone of the music like normal ear plugs do for decently cheap. a good investment if you are a frequent concert goer.

edit: these
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Dec 2, 2009,
Quote by Dirge Humani
Mine is like an extremely high-frequency alarm or sine wave. It almost sounds like a solid tone, but there are noticeable gaps in it. It makes falling asleep hell.

wow i could nottt live with that dude. id like smash my face with a rolling pin....
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Yes, it's a very smart thing to do. I wore mine for part of a Cannibal Corpse concert, but then was like "Oh, whats the worst that could happen?" and took them out. I really really regret it, I couldn't hear for a week. I wear them at every concert now.
Quote by ajwhiteford
I personally couldn't bring myself to wear plugs at a concert, saying that i don't know what it would be like for someone like you.

You could just try listening to the bands without them at first and if its too much then put them in.

Or just get earplugs that allow sound to be heard, only not so loud/reduced bass/higher frequencies.

Doesn't have to be those solid rubber butt-ear-plugs.

Quote by Dirge Humani

Awh
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I have seen plenty of people with earplugs on during concerts. I really don't think it would be such a big deal. Hell at an Opeth concert they were selling earplugs next to the t-shirts. I would say if the issue is either wearing earplugs and enjoying the concert or not wearing earplugs and being messed up, just wear the earplugs.
My Gear:
Custom Fender 62' Reissue Strat
Carvin Custom Shop DC400T
Jackson SL3 Soloist
Fender Super-Sonic 112
Boss GT-10

Quote by XianXiuHong
000-000-000-000-000
PM------------------------

You can now play every Slayer song.
It's reasonable. I know tons of people with good hearing who wear earplugs at concerts. You'll most get chewed out for not wearing earplugs.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

Mine is a squeal that has no gaps and gets louder when there are no other noises. And yes sir, falling asleep is impossible sometimes. Took me an hour last night :/

Current Gear:

Mesa Stiletto Trident
Bogner Shiva
Mesa 2x12 & 4x12 Cabs
Quote by Kensai
Or just get earplugs that allow sound to be heard, only not so loud/reduced bass/higher frequencies.

Doesn't have to be those solid rubber butt-ear-plugs.

Awh

that brought forth a HORRIBBLEE image!!

cannot be unseen!!! *rams fork into eyes*
but yeah get some high quality foam ones that just lessen the ammount of sound heard, i personally like to be able to hear a little, just not at full force with a 100W stack snarling in my ear canal.
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Get some beer pugs instead.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
I'd do it, my hearing is so bad I bet I'll be 100% by the time I'm 20
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Quote by bagrm
I have seen plenty of people with earplugs on during concerts. I really don't think it would be such a big deal. Hell at an Opeth concert they were selling earplugs next to the t-shirts. I would say if the issue is either wearing earplugs and enjoying the concert or not wearing earplugs and being messed up, just wear the earplugs.

I really recommend buying them BEFORE the show, especially Opeth where everything is overpriced as it is. When I saw them it was 2 bux for one pair. At Cannibal Corpse it was 50 cents. Usually you can get 12 ear plugs (6 pairs) for 6 dollars from stores, probably cheaper from anywhere that's not a grocery store.
Thanks for the response guys. I'll wear them, but I wanting to get peoples opinions on those who wear them. Hell, I don't want to have deal with a drunk asshole who thinks i'm not metal enough and that I need to leave. Or I could wear my Metallica shirt and nobody notice.

Current Gear:

Mesa Stiletto Trident
Bogner Shiva
Mesa 2x12 & 4x12 Cabs
Quote by jeremessmore
I notice you didn't metion suicide silence

Who?

Current Gear:

Mesa Stiletto Trident
Bogner Shiva
Mesa 2x12 & 4x12 Cabs
Quote by jeremessmore
OH maybe they aren't playing that tour any more but at the opening leg of the Megadeth/Machine Head tour, Suicide SIlence (deathcore I think) was playing with them and apparently got horrible crowd response.

They are, I was joking.

Current Gear:

Mesa Stiletto Trident
Bogner Shiva
Mesa 2x12 & 4x12 Cabs
Wear them. I have Tinnitus from loud music, and it is not worth it. Just wear the earplugs, and **** the people who try to mock you.
I'm about to get me a pair of Hearos. I also enjoy being able to hear normally.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Are the Hearos good? I just started my degree program in audio engineering and I need a good pair to wear to concerts.
Quote by captaincrunk
You are a slave who is looking for a master, and I hope he beats you.

Quote by rmr024
Toaster ovens are fucking amazing, I don't really see where you were going with that...
I went to that same concert back in January. Yes. Wear earplugs.
#57 in UG Top 100 2010!

I really ought to get my username changed...
Quote by The Jolly Llama
Are the Hearos good? I just started my degree program in audio engineering and I need a good pair to wear to concerts.
I've heard they are. Never used them though.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by Butthead
Thanks for the response guys. I'll wear them, but I wanting to get peoples opinions on those who wear them. Hell, I don't want to have deal with a drunk asshole who thinks i'm not metal enough and that I need to leave. Or I could wear my Metallica shirt and nobody notice.

Metallica shirt at a megadeth concert? Do you WANT to die?
That said, if you get up front, there's a slight chance that Dave Mustaine will notice... and punch you in the face.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by The Jolly Llama

Yeah I like them a lot. I felt they were really good earplugs whenever I have used them.
My Gear:
Custom Fender 62' Reissue Strat
Carvin Custom Shop DC400T
Jackson SL3 Soloist
Fender Super-Sonic 112
Boss GT-10

Quote by XianXiuHong
000-000-000-000-000
PM------------------------

You can now play every Slayer song.
Quote by westdyolf
wow i could nottt live with that dude. id like smash my face with a rolling pin....

I also have tinnitus. I've had it since I was 14 and didn't realise it was a medical problem until about a year ago. It can get really bad sometimes but it's really no bother to me.
Page 1 of 2