my guitar finish is getting extremly dull(especially where my body touches the back of the guitar and there are mini scratches ALL over the guitar even under the pickguard i recently removed!
Like wat the f*** i tryed to buff them out a bit with some guitar polish. but it was useless. I dont know what to do. really. this guitar was expensive and the finish is crapping out on me. as well, the pickup selector switch is loose(i fixed it a bit by removing the plastic that says "rythem" and "treble" it looks a bit better like that too but it still moves around!).. it hasnt sustained much abuse. i've had it for about 6 months i think.
its a gibson les paul studio with the wine red finish. im a little suspicious because the guitars serial number states that it was made in august 2008! do you think the store i bought it from could have jipped me with a used les paul, or worse, a fake les paul. its starting to look like the eddie van halen guitar with the electrical tape and missing a few pickups XD not that drastic but its shaping up to look pretty awfull without its mirror reflective finish.
um. isn't the idea of the les paul studio that it has the sound of a regular les paul but a shitty paint finish?
Quote by AeolianWolf
um. isn't the idea of the les paul studio that it has the sound of a regular les paul but a shitty paint finish?

No. The studio is a stripped down version of the LP, not one with a "shitty finish"

TS try some scratch remover or very fine buffing compound to remove the scratches and get her shining again. Why would you think the guitar is used or fake just because its from 2008?
Quote by AeolianWolf

yessss ... spray paint it black then wen it gets dinged u can repair with a sharpie lol o wait they make red sharpies get one of those and color it in lol
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Quote by selkies
yessss ... spray paint it black then wen it gets dinged u can repair with a sharpie lol o wait they make red sharpies get one of those and color it in lol

nice....
Quote by AeolianWolf

no im pretty sure its just a version without bindings and without top of the line hardware/ without a fancy top wood and stuff... not a shitty paint finish. i think for gibson to buy the shitty finish would cost them more in the long run. -_-
Quote by Matt420740
No. The studio is a stripped down version of the LP, not one with a "shitty finish"

TS try some scratch remover or very fine buffing compound to remove the scratches and get her shining again. Why would you think the guitar is used or fake just because its from 2008?

do you know anyone who has tryed those techniques... they sound pretty smart but i'd like to know if anyone has been successfull with it.
Check out Meguiar's Scratch X 2.0 to remove some of the tiny scratches:

if you have an Epiphone LP; otherwise, if it's a Gibson, 3M's Perfect It II and Finesse It II works well with Nitro. Natural Carnauba wax will get it very shiny if you don't want to mess with polishing and micro fiber pads (don't use cotton).

Quote by Ippon

if you have an Epiphone LP; otherwise, if it's a Gibson, 3M's Perfect It II and Finesse It II works well with Nitro. Natural Carnauba wax will get it very shiny if you don't want to mess with polishing and micro fiber pads (don't use cotton).

Its a Gibson so i would use perfect it 2 and finesse it 2 together, or seperate? and should i like finish with natural carnauba wax?
If it's as bad as you make it sound, I'll go the re-finishing route. You can get your supplies from ReRanch, including the tutorials.

Order your supplies here: http://reranchstore.stores.yahoo.net/index.html

Read the tutorials here: http://www.reranch.com/basics.htm

However, if they're just teeny tiny scratches, I'd just use some touch up pens and 3M Finesse It II. Get them here: http://reranchstore.stores.yahoo.net/finsup.html

Quote by Ippon
If it's as bad as you make it sound, I'll go the re-finishing route. You can get your supplies from ReRanch, including the tutorials.

Order your supplies here: http://reranchstore.stores.yahoo.net/index.html

Read the tutorials here: http://www.reranch.com/basics.htm

However, if they're just teeny tiny scratches, I'd just use some touch up pens and 3M Finesse It II. Get them here: http://reranchstore.stores.yahoo.net/finsup.html

they arent deep scratches.. and like the dull part on the back i think is just pieces of cotton/lint from my clothes
Quote by Ippon

just curious, why do you say not to use a cotton cloth? thanks.
lookaguitarplayingyeti?
Quote by yeti66

from what i have already researched about cotton i think i know why he says this.
Apperently cotton can trap tiny pieces of dirt that can scratch whatever yur polishing again.
Quote by yeti66
Microfiber is softer/gentler than regular 100% cotton. You can use cotton but if you're fussy with your Gibsons ... They're available at auto supply stores, too.

IpponEdit: ^ That, too.

Quote by Ippon
Microfiber is softer/gentler than regular 100% cotton. You can use cotton but if you're fussy with your Gibsons ... They're available at auto supply stores, too.

IpponEdit: ^ That, too.

do you think any old scratch remover would give me results followed by polish and wax?