Hi everyone.

First off - I'm new, so I'm sorry if this was the wrong place to post.
Now, on to my questions.

I'm setting out to buy 1 or 2 new guitars. First I should say, I'm a beginner and I have a "cheap" Jordan Strat electric guitar, and I've also played a bit on a classical guitar.

The steel strings of a western/acoustic guitar has me intrigued, although I've never tried one. At the same time I like the soft sound of the nylon strings of a classical guitar. Hence my desire for two guitars
Also I've heard that bending should be easier on an acoustic, is that true?

So far two acoustics have caught my eye. It's basically the same guitar just w and w/o cutaway. Here are links for the two guitars:
harley benton hbd120bk
harley benton hbd120cebk

My first question is, how much does cutaway affect the sound and in what way? Would I be able to tell? I'd of course like to be able to reach the higher frets, but it's also more expensive, do you think it would be worth the extra buck?

I've also looked at two different classicals. One of these is an electro-classical with a cutaway. I know absolutely nothing about electro-classicals, and I was wondering if it's inferior in sound quality to a regular classical, or if theres something I should pay attention to in buying or playing one. The two guitars can be seen here:
harley benton CG200CE-BK
harley benton msa c23 blueburst

On a general note I've also had some troubles on my electric guitar with the width of the fretboard. Near the nut I have some problems finding spots for my fingers, without them just touching an adjacent strings. Is there like some rule of thumb, or common guideline I can remember when buying acoustic/classical guitars in terms of fretboard width?

Any general advice on the choice of guitar, and the ones I've been looking at is greatly appreciated as well.

Many thanks in advance

/Thomas

PS: I'm from Denmark, so I apologize if my english is off, or my terminology isn't correct, I hope everything is clear
first off, the cutaway doesn't affect the sound. and if you play the upper frets, a cutaway is very handy to have.

second, get a guitar with a wider nut width if you want ease of fretting. i got a seagull s6 because of its very wide nut width, but real classicals at any price should have a very wide nut - i believe they are standardly 1 7/8 of an inch. a lot of steel string acoustics are 1 11/16 inches, although i have one that is 1 10/16s. if you're looking for room, find an acoustic with a 1 3/4 nut. the two steel strings you're looking at have a very narrow nut, which is very common with cheap guitars.

the guitars you're looking at are pretty much bottom of the line. don't expect much from them when it comes to sound and build quality and you won't be disappointed. after all, even quality laminates cost money as do quality hardware. you might get a little more bang for your buck if you go used, but at the prices of the guitars you list, you may have to look around a lot to find something halfway decent.
Last edited by patticake at Dec 2, 2009,
Thank you very much for your input.
Well, at least you've had me convinced to look for a pricier guitar

I've been looking at
Ibanez v72ece

My biggest concern is the nut width, especially since I wasn't able to find a nut width for this model. And unfortunately I don't have any proper guitar store anywhere nearby, so I can't really test anything out.

In terms of quality though, I should be alright with an Ibanez right?

I'm probably still gonna get a cheap classical though, just for a diversion once in a while
the nut width on that ibanez is 43mm, which is quite narrow. if you do a search on ibanez on this board, you'll find that many of us think fairly poorly of them when it comes to quality - ibanez guitars tend to be about looks rather than sound or build quality. i'd go with the cort scippy suggests as it has a solid top.

btw, except for cheap classicals, i don't think i've ever seen a cheap guitar with a wide enough nut.

Quote by Dynde87
Thank you very much for your input.
Well, at least you've had me convinced to look for a pricier guitar

I've been looking at
Ibanez v72ece

My biggest concern is the nut width, especially since I wasn't able to find a nut width for this model. And unfortunately I don't have any proper guitar store anywhere nearby, so I can't really test anything out.

In terms of quality though, I should be alright with an Ibanez right?

I'm probably still gonna get a cheap classical though, just for a diversion once in a while
Well thanks for all the replies You've all been very helpful.

Unfortunately patience is a virtue I have yet to learn, and sometimes my impulses get the better of me, so I ordered the Ibanez.
I know I'll probably be unpopular when I say this, but looks are kinda important to me too, and I really don't like the natural guitar color (you can go ahead and bash on the "rookie with no brains" ). Someday in the future when I'm a connoisseur such as yourselves, I'll probably be on the other end of the stick

And since I am a rookie, I guess I might not hear the imperfections you hear, or notice the poor build quality like you do yet. My friend has a very cheap classical guitar, that I've played a bit on, which to me sounds just fine. With a $300 Ibanez I should at least have an acoustic for a while, and when I'm better at it, and know more about the sound, I think I'll spring for a top-quality guitar.
After all I heard some wise man say you can never have enough guitars