ok well when i look up guides to help me start on sweeping or exercises for it i usually find guides telling me its good to start with 3 string arppegioes like...

e|--------12--12--------------12--12--------|
b|-----13--------13--------13--------13-----|
g|--14--------------14--14--------------14--|
d|------------------------------------------|
a|------------------------------------------|
E|------------------------------------------|

and such....but my question is....Is it reeeeeally better to start practicing with 3 strings?

because ive been trying something like this and it seems kinda easier to me...

e|---------------------8--------------------|
b|-----------------10----10---------------|
g|--------------9--------------9-----------|
d|----------10--------------------10------|
a|-----12------------------------------12-|
E|-------------------------------------------|

so which is better to start off on?

and yea im taking this meeeeeeeeeeega slow cuz i get really sloopy if i speed up :P
Either one should be really easy. To practice any new technique, especially advanced ones like sweeping, you should start out really slowly. This is called mechanical learning. As you get used to the various motions associated with sweep picking, it will become muscle memory and become more fluid.

Also, it might be easier if you do notes in groups that are powers of two (for example, groups of two, four, eight, sixteen, and so on) because it's easier to count that way; it works well for me.

But more on topic, most people find three string sweeps to be easier to do. I don't. I would start on three string arpeggios to get the motions down and then move on to five string ones.
thanks for the tips guys :]

oh yea i forgot, i heard that taping my fingers on a desk,lap,table,etc. in a pattern like 1-2-3-4 actually helps improve my fretting hand

ive been doing it lately but id like to know your guys input on this, whatya think?
Last edited by FullMetal20 at Dec 2, 2009,
Yeah that's a good way to get independence, even when you don't have a guitar handy.
A better one similar to that is instead of holding them above the table and tapping them in sequence, rest them all on the table and bring each finger up one at a time making sure to keep the other fingers down and relaxed.
Quote by tenfold
Yeah that's a good way to get independence, even when you don't have a guitar handy.
A better one similar to that is instead of holding them above the table and tapping them in sequence, rest them all on the table and bring each finger up one at a time making sure to keep the other fingers down and relaxed.

once again thanks :]!
Quote by tenfold

hahaha this has nothing to do with my post but i saw your profile and your guitar is rather similar to mines lololol

just that that was rad