Hey Pit,
I play bass in my high school jazz band and we play tomorrow at the expo center where i live. Im totally freakin out and im so nervous cuz ive never really played my bass where there are lots of people. Give me some advics and some things i should do to control my nervousness..
Quote by RedDeath9
Don't worry, nobody pays attention to the bassist anyway.

Lol

as long as you look like you're doing something most people will assume you are.
Quote by Gunpowder
C'mon, man. We're just kidding. We all know that drummers are important.

After all, without drummers, who would bag my groceries?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
I played my first Jazz concert recently, and of course the director gives me a solo right before the concert. I was nervous at first, but I overcame it and destroyed the thing (in a good way).

Don't worry about it, just play. Remember that most of the audience can't tell if you screw up or not.

I play the electric guitar, and the bass is far more important so just focus on timing and you should be good.
Quote by RedDeath9

That's so funny it's wrong. Not what I was expecting.

Don't sweat it man. Nobody listens to the bass player anyways.

You'll be alright. Once you start and zone into what you're doing you'll love it.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by The Kreator

I play the electric guitar, and the bass is far more important so just focus on timing and you should be good.

That statement is false.
Classical Guitarist
In your situation, I would say just play. Ignore the audience (as in don't even acknowledge their existence in your own mind) until you get more comfortable. Then you can start being more of a showman, if you think its appropriate.
They say that in the army, the food is mighty fine.
The chicken jumped off the table and killed a friend of mine.

Oh lord, I want to go home.
But they won't let me go-o
Ho-oho-ohohahohohome. Hey!
Quote by Zep_shizzle
That statement is false.

Obviously you have never played in a Jazz band.
Quote by The Kreator

Agreed. Bass = keeps rhythm. Guitar = occasional color and pretty solos. Rhythm > Pretty.

Anyway, relax. Everyone has performance anxiety, even experienced players. About 3 minutes in (give or take), the adrenaline's going to kick in and you'll be flying.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Drugs?

Okay, on a serious note: Just play the music, man. Don't worry about the audience at all. Once you are comfortable with the music, you'll be just fine.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Aye, despite my previous statement, bass is pretty important in a jazz band.

However, once you start playing, you'll completely forget about the audience.

So I assume - I've never played live before.
Quote by RedDeath9
Aye, despite my previous statement, bass is pretty important in a jazz band.

However, once you start playing, you'll completely forget about the audience.

So I assume - I've never played live before.

Yeah you hardly know they are there. Just keep it calm. Don't start freaking or you WILL screw up.

Listen to this before you go on stage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlk4dtr8iwo
we talked about this earlier in my guitar class today. You play because you want to. If you go into a performance thinking im nervous and I want to make a good impression you wont. Being a musician is playing as best as you can and if its not good enough then who cares? You do this for yourself including the live shows.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
your insane, but reasonable
Quote by RedDeath9

laugh stack!
well just chill man just act like your in your room practicing
Quote by Time Seller
So two musicians and a drummer walk into a bar.
I play bass in my college jazz combo, and during our first show the last page to the song we were playing fell off my stand and hovered neatly underneath the piano, but its jazz, I knew the form of the song and nobody knew the difference. #1 rule as a bass player, especially in jazz, don't stop playing, if you freeze, just listen to the drums for the end of the phrase.
Warwick 4-string
not a rockbass
a Warwick
Just try to have fun dude!

The first few songs or pieces are always nerve wrecking, even for huge musicians who do it everyday.

Eventually, once you start having fun you'll realise the times flown by and your done!
ESP: EC-401

Hughes & Kettner: Tubemeister 18 Head
Harley Benton: G212 Vintage Cabinet

Dunlop: ZW-45 Zakk Wylde CryBaby Wah
Boss: TU-2 Chromatic Tuner
Boss: Mt-2 Metal Zone
Electro Harmonix: Memory Toy Delay
Boss: NS-2 Noise Supressor
when I got stage fright I would focus as much as possible on my fretboard and my playing. keeps you focused and calms you down!
Quote by CoreysMonster
you know why rabbits are smarter than cows?

fucking cows start moo-ing around for no reason, but rabbits keep their mouth shut until they actually have something to say.

god I hate cows.
Just play man. If you screw up, who cares?
In diesem Herz hab ich die Macht.

Gear:
Fender MIM HSS Strat (Wine Red)
VOX Valvetronix VT20+
Kay K390 Acoustic
Quote by RedDeath9

Except in jazz. It's extremely important in jazz.
Not like anyone's gonna hear you
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
Dude, you may have some pre-show jitters and the first song may be a little rough, BUT once that song is done, you should be fine. At least thats how I am when i played live for my school's jazz band. The same was true for most gigs Ive played live.
Quote by dhutton
stand next to the drums, close your eyes and just groove. pretend like no one else is there, just you and the music.

trust me, i have stage fright issues too and this helps me.

This +1E^23

Also, this guy has the same thing going on. Look at the general advice, it's good stuff. If you make a mistake, keep going and don't stop. That is the worst thing you can do.

Enjoy yourself, and you will be golden.
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
Quote by The Kreator

i was kidding. get the dick out of your ass.
Classical Guitarist
Quote by RazzleMCR1
Hey Pit,
I play bass in my high school jazz band and we play tomorrow at the expo center where i live. Im totally freakin out and im so nervous cuz ive never really played my bass where there are lots of people. Give me some advics and some things i should do to control my nervousness..

Don't act nervous.
Don't stand on stage, rooted to the same spot. Move around a bit.
Just make sure you listen to the drums and stay in time.
If you mess up, turn around with your back to the audience. Wait until you feel ready to come abck in, then start playing and turn around.

Thats all you need to do.
RIP Tom Searle.
just play and stop worrying, whats the worst thing that can happen
I remember playing bass at some Christmas related thing in tenth grade. I hadn't been to the final practice or the sound testing, but I didn't give it much thought, so that when my band got up, I just grabbed the nearest decoration thingy, taped it to my forehead, then proceeded to jump onto the stage, and we started playing. The music teacher came and fiddled with some of the settings on the equipment I used (which belonged to the school anyway), but apart from that it all went fine. Well, apart from that the guitarist severely messed up something, causing one of the vocalists to go into a raging rant against him.
Sworn enemy of the private investigator.
Ahh Dude, it's normal to feel the jitters before playing. Just get into it while your playing and you won't notice you're being watched.
2010's Sexiest Female Uger