Hello everyone. I've got a problem that's been bothering me for some time.

Whenever I play chug riffs, especially ones with an open E, the shoulder of my picking arm gets really tense and sore. I can't play them very long or at a very consistent speed.

I've watched Freepower's vid on posture and I'm trying to play as relaxed as possible. But it's still really sore.

Any advice?
Tighten the guitar strap and raise the guitar higher.

Also try to use your wrist more than your shoulder as much as possible. Try chugging without moving your shoulder at all
Rocking the free world one step at a time!
I have the same problem sometimes.. It only happens like half the time though. The other half.. I do the same thing, but it just doesn't hurt? I don't know.. I'd like advice as well. I'm curious to see what people say.
Quote by dubstar92
Hockey is blatant racism... White guys hitting black pucks with sticks.

Quote by sw1ss023
awesomeness scares me
he makes me want to scream "wee"
he gives me a boner

My Band - Facebook

Twitter - Metal_Quotes

last.fm

-jakewilliams.tumblr.com
Quote by gibber19
Play with your wrist, not your arm.

That's just it. When I look at my shoulder when I'm playing it's not moving at all. But it still tenses up when I play.
Do you play standing or sitting? If it's sitting, try resting the guitar on your other leg. If it's standing, lower your guitar a bit so you can stretch out your arm a bit more.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Junior#1
Do you play standing or sitting? If it's sitting, try resting the guitar on your other leg. If it's standing, lower your guitar a bit so you can stretch out your arm a bit more.

I try to practice both equally. I've never tried resting it on my other leg. I'll try lowering the strap.

Any other ideas?
Your shoulder shouldn't be tensing at all, try and relax everything and just pick entirely from the wrist. Go really slowly and make sure that shoulder isn't tensing up!
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
I'd guess that without you noticing it, you tense up your shoulder every time you play those riffs. Get hold of The Principles of Correct Practice for Guitar if you want lots of specific exercises for this kind of thing. I'd suggest paying very close attention to your shoulder as you move between playing this kind of riff and resting.
I had a simelar problem when i first started , it seems i was tensing up alot to try and play faster than i actually could. This does nothing and eventually gets you injured so i just started slowing down to a speed that i could play comfortabily and working my way up from there . my arm has been fine since.
After examining the problem in more detail I've discovered I do tense up my shoulder quite a bit when using this technique. There's no real reason for me to do that as I seem to be picking from my wrist. But my shoulder is rock hard while I'm playing.

It seems this is another technique I'll have to build from the ground up again.

Thanks for the help everyone.