eg:
AMaj AMin
---------------------------
--2----------1------------
--2----------2------------
--2----------2------------

The third note in the key of a (C#) becomes flat (C)
this makes the warm/dark difference

Hope this helps in some way?
If The Sun Refused To Shine
I Would Still Be Loving You
Mountains Crumble To The Sea
There Would Still Be You And Me

My Stuff
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Roland Cube 30X
Washburn Acoustic
Dunlop CryBaby
It's just a way to describe the balance of tone. Bright would be more treble-ly while dark or warm would be more bass and mid oriented.

Also muddy which is a commonly used term, usually refers to too much bass and not near enough highs. If it's thin sounding that usually means it doesn't have enough mids or bass.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Dec 2, 2009,
Warm - A round and fat tone with bass being the driving force in the EQ

Bright- A shimmering and snappy tone,like strats and teles played through the clean channel of a fender tube amp.

Dark - The opposite of bright,less highs and more bass and mids in the eq.A good example is the clean channel of a Peavey JSX.

That's how I've always defined them at least.I may be wrong,I may be right,who knows.
I personally hate overly bright and snappy tones,it takes the power and warmth out of the low strings and makes the high strings too piercing and uneven with the other strings IMO.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Last edited by Pr0gNut at Dec 2, 2009,
Ohhh TONES..
wow, nvm my answer then...^ what that guy said
If The Sun Refused To Shine
I Would Still Be Loving You
Mountains Crumble To The Sea
There Would Still Be You And Me

My Stuff
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Roland Cube 30X
Washburn Acoustic
Dunlop CryBaby
Browsing this thread, I just had to laugh out loud at Justin's sig.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Bright: Boosted treble
Warm: Boosted low and high mids
Dark: Boosted lows and low-mids

It's more complicated than that, but that's the basics as I understand them. Ideally, you can sort of tell how to classify it by just listening to it, but in practice that doesn't always happen. I would put the clean channel of the Bogner Alchemist as an example of dark, and pretty much any rig with humbuckers and a tube screamer as warm.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
those terms are kind of subjective...it really depends on what you interpret as "warm" or "bright" or "dark". however, i find a warm tone is full, rich in mid range frequencies and lots of sustain. Kind of bassy as well. a bright tone has a certain shimmer to it, rich in higher frequencies. Dark tones often scoop out the low-mid frequencies to give a more hollow, percussive chug sound to them. Or in a non-metal setting, "dark" tones use reverbs and long delays to create a sort of ambience and a spacey feel to them. It also depends on the notes you're using. You can have a full "warm" tone and play dissonant chordings to make it sound dark and moody. Tough question to answer accurately.

Examples:
Warm --> A Crow Left to the Murder (by Incubus)
Bright --> Where the Streets Have No Name (by U2)
Dark Metal tone --> Anything by Meshuggah off of Destroy Erase Improve
Dark other tone --> The long intro to Pulmonary Archery by Alexisonfire
Quote by VanTheKraut
Browsing this thread, I just had to laugh out loud at Justin's sig.

haha thanks, I just added that today

on topic: As tone is a very subjective, well... subject, these terms are all relative and as you can see our definitions very a bit.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Dec 2, 2009,
warm and or dark does not mean boosted mids or bass, it just refers to how much treble is rolled off.