I was wondering if the band name means a lot for you. For example what would happen if powerful bands like Slayer or Anthrax didnt had those cool names?? Would you still like them the same as you do right now? OR does the name helps a little bit or influences a little in how much you like a band?

What do you think?
I try not to judge a band by their name. If the music is good then i could care less about the name.
Last.fm

"Music is a language of emotion. It informs our words with FEELING, and doesn't need to be learned.. It's visceral and innate" - Jason Silva
if slayer was called pony, or carebear, i think raining blood would still be amazing lol
Quote by Suffrin
I've never heard of it. But Ironically, my highschool sports teams were known as the Logan Berries.

Minecraft Name : Selibucaz2
i don't really like slayer :/

but not really
~~~~~~
LTD EC-256 - AGED VINTAGE BLACK
Schecter C-1 Plus - BLACK CHERRY
Peavey 6505+ 112
BOSS NS2
DigiTech Bad Monkey OD
Maxon SD9

~~~~~~
A band's name doesn't really affect whether or not I like them, but a name or album cover does affect how I interpret their music and visualize their songs. For example, in my opinion Incubus's Morning View sounds just like the album cover, and ISIS's name gives their music a sort of ethereal edge to it.
My favorite band of all time is Fightstar... and they have the worst band name ever :P
music > name.

A name does anyways help to add to a band's awesomeness. The sounds of animals fighting had me curious to what they would sound like but that's really been the only case where that has happened for me.
I may not have a brain, gentlemen, but I have an idea...
I think a name might influence my perception of the group. I don't Slayer could be Slayer without their name. It's quite badass. (I don't care for Slayer but I'm gonna pretend I like them) If they were named pony or carebear like the guy said a couple of posts ago I wouldn't take them as seriously because I might perceive them as a joke band (not saying the band isn't talented but I might think they like to parody metal or something. It might turn me off).

edit: I still would enjoy a band with a silly name. I guess I would like to know why they have that name.
Last edited by CaMacKid at Dec 2, 2009,
I used to hate Job For A Cowboy because of theur name, but now I love them. And now I tend to not judge bands by their names and judge them on their music.
Quote by selibucaz
if slayer was called pony, or carebear, i think raining blood would still be amazing lol

If there was a band named Carebear that did grindcore or some other ridiculously heavy style, I wouldn't care what the music sounded like, the name is just too badass. You'd HAVE to listen to a grotesquely heavy band if they had a name like that.

But in 99% of other cases, the name counts for nothing.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
A death metal band called The Pink Daisies would be pretty awesome.
The B-52 Bombers Group!
Own a B-52 amp? Join the club!

Quote by nashawa
He may be a troll, but he's an incredibly successful troll. So kudos on that.
Quote by nashawa
If there was a band named Carebear that did grindcore or some other ridiculously heavy style, I wouldn't care what the music sounded like, the name is just too badass. You'd HAVE to listen to a grotesquely heavy band if they had a name like that.

But in 99% of other cases, the name counts for nothing.

someone should definitely start a slam band called carebears haha
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Nope. If Queens of the Stone Age was an emo/pop punk band, i'd hate the name. But they're amazing, so i love the name.

If Fall Out Boy was some completely different band, that kicked ass and wrote original sounding music, i would love the name because i grew up with the simpsons.

But they aren't. And i don't. And i think they stole a really good name.
Yeah, uh-huh...that's what they all say.
No, but it is nice when a band has both good music and a good name.

It really sucks when a band that you dislike has a name that you love.
Biggest role it can have is that somebody might not want to check them out because of their name. IMO once one knows the music and likes it, the opinion can change rather fast. All in all, I try to ignore that.
It doesn't influence how much I actually enjoy the music. A good name that fits with the music is always a plus, but it doesn't really matter.
I have to say that name affects a little.Especially i like if band has a short, striking name.
a band wins for it's sound, even if it has a bad name... like the beatles, it's like ''the insects'' or ''the travelcheck'' was one of the most important bands in history.

BUT
you can promote yourself with a smart name, like the band ''does it offend you yeah'' i just had to check it out.. even though in the end they were not so great.
For me, the name doesnt affect how much i like the band but it may put me off from checking that band out

For example, if im looking through the hardcore recomendation thread for some new bands, im not gonna listen to every band on the list. I usually go for the few with cool names
My Gear:
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Schecter C-1 Custom
Jackson SLSMG
Line 6 POD HD500X

My SoundCloud
I actually love that name.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Not really, if I see a name I like then I'll generally check the band out. But the name doesn't determine whether or not I like them.

Quote by selibucaz

I think if Slayer was called The Carebears then Raining Blood would be even more amazing. xD