Been awhile since I've asked for someone elses opinion... and I'm also sure this is the like... 1,000th "need pickup advice" thread today. Sorry.

Right now I currently have a Dean V79 with a EMG set(81/85) and a LP with a Duncan Distortion, running into a 6505+.

I just had the Duncan laying around and I stuck it in my LP and I've found that I really like the sound of passives, alot. I'm not too big of a fan of the Distortion because honestly, its a little lacking in clarity, but it pleases me more than the EMGs do.

The LP is just a beater guitar, but its kinda become my main guitar since I stuck the Duncan in it.

What I'm looking for is something passive, but with more clarity than the Distortion. Something that would give me than same sort of sound in my V. I was thinking the JB, but I'd be open to any suggestions. I'm not completely turned off by DiMarzios but I haven't really heard anything by them that I'm a huge fan of... although admittedly I haven't tried out a whole lot of them.

Thanks in advance guys.
Have a look into the Bare Knuckles range - I've heard a lot of good things from various people and want to try some out in a guitar that I'm planning to re-build in the new year.
If Budget isn't an issue, than something Boutique like Bareknuckles, which are constantly praised on UG.

From the mass-produced world of pickups, I love my DiMarzio Super Distortion, but then again, it's in my Jackson DK2M, which is a pretty bright guitar, and I'd consider the Super D warm, but not too dark. I'm not sure how different it is from the Duncan Distortion, but I think they're kind of supposed to be similar.

The JB would be great in an LP, as the bright voicing of a JB, combined with the warm tonewoods of an LP, balance eachother out.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Thank you guys for the input, I'll definitely check into the Bareknuckles.

Quote by FlightofIcarus
The JB would be great in an LP, as the bright voicing of a JB, combined with the warm tonewoods of an LP, balance eachother out.

I'm looking for some to go in my V.
Quote by JeffReigns
Thank you guys for the input, I'll definitely check into the Bareknuckles.

I'm looking for some to go in my V.
Sorry, I was obviously out of it!

Yeah, check out the bareknuckles if you have the cash!
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Bareknuckles are always good, got warpigs in my Ibby S Series and the sound is incredible, my band love my tone! If you email tim telling him what guitar the pickups are going into and what sound you are looking for he will get back to you recommending pickups too, very professional service, and if you really want to push the boat out to get a really great sound consider swapping out the pots, and capacitor in your guitar as well, this can make your tone shine even more!
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
Like a Duncan Distortion but with a little more clarity? SD Alternative 8 or Custom 5. Alternative 8 is pretty much the Distortion, but swapping the ceramic magnet for an Alnico VIII one. Justs lightly less compressed, cleans up a little better, slightly more natural sounding, but still with the same overall agression and output. The Custom 5 is like a more modern yet slightly lower output JB model - while the JB model can get overly bright, the Custom 5 is more balanced and more like an old PAF humbucker that's been very heavily over-wound. Generally, I consider the Custom 5 to be 'the' higher-output, all-round humbucker with the right balance between traditonal and modern tone with very good clarity for this kind of output. Bear in mind the higher output you go, the more indistinct you'll become, so if clarity is a big concern of yours then you will need to sacrifice some output. Don't forget that lowering the pickup from the strings (or bertter yet, raising the strings) will increase clarity and lower output slightly too; you may find simply adjusting the distance from the pickup to the strings is all you need to get the Distortion sounding how you want.

Also bear in mind you may not even need the output. So many people grab very high output pickups when they don't need them. Your 6505 Plus is very high-gain to begin with so I struggle to image you actually need high output pickups unless you atcually have the amp's gain set very low and you like to sweep from clean to gritty tones with the guitar's volume control - but I can't say I've come across many 6505 owners who use their rigs like that. Consider if you actually need the high output or not - I'm willing to bet you don't - and if you don't, think about getting much lower output pickups that have a highger resonant peak and are much clearer and more responsive.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Irongear pickups are similar to Bareknuckles but around a quarter the price. They don't make an equivalent to the Warpig but, as MrFlibble said, you might not need or want that extra output. You get better clarity from lower output pups anyway.
I'd consider Hot Slag, Hammerhead or even Rolling Mill for the best tones.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by MrFlibble
Like a Duncan Distortion but with a little more clarity? SD Alternative 8 or Custom 5. Alternative 8 is pretty much the Distortion, but swapping the ceramic magnet for an Alnico VIII one. Justs lightly less compressed, cleans up a little better, slightly more natural sounding, but still with the same overall agression and output. The Custom 5 is like a more modern yet slightly lower output JB model - while the JB model can get overly bright, the Custom 5 is more balanced and more like an old PAF humbucker that's been very heavily over-wound. Generally, I consider the Custom 5 to be 'the' higher-output, all-round humbucker with the right balance between traditonal and modern tone with very good clarity for this kind of output. Bear in mind the higher output you go, the more indistinct you'll become, so if clarity is a big concern of yours then you will need to sacrifice some output. Don't forget that lowering the pickup from the strings (or bertter yet, raising the strings) will increase clarity and lower output slightly too; you may find simply adjusting the distance from the pickup to the strings is all you need to get the Distortion sounding how you want.

Also bear in mind you may not even need the output. So many people grab very high output pickups when they don't need them. Your 6505 Plus is very high-gain to begin with so I struggle to image you actually need high output pickups unless you atcually have the amp's gain set very low and you like to sweep from clean to gritty tones with the guitar's volume control - but I can't say I've come across many 6505 owners who use their rigs like that. Consider if you actually need the high output or not - I'm willing to bet you don't - and if you don't, think about getting much lower output pickups that have a highger resonant peak and are much clearer and more responsive.

Oh no, the output definitely isn't an issue as the 6505 has way more gain than I'd ever care to use, which is why I was looking for a pickup with more clarity.

Another thing to consider is I'm looking to get a similar sound out of my V that I'm getting out of my LP. I know some of the LPs tone has to do with the fact that its... well... an LP! I'm trying to kinda emulate that in my V, while picking up some more clarity.

I do appreciate everyones input thus far, I'm going to go check into these pickups.