Page 1 of 2
so in my English class, we just finished reading The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain and we're getting really deep into the argument stated in the title of this thread.

So for those of you that have read the book, I'd like to know what you guys think about the issue.

I personally do not see it as racist at all. The satire and irony seems pretty clear and mostly attacks the white men rather than Jim.

so discuss!
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
Seems like a rather redundant question.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
I was scared when I entered this thread. 80% of users here seem to think all Americans are racists.
The playground of the world
Samuel Clements was not a racist He wrote satire, comedy, social commentary in his time. Don't judge it with a 21st century microscope.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
You can't judge a book written in the 1880's by what is socially acceptable today. I think it's a classic.
All for one and one for all.
Anyone who thinks that it's racist is an idiot.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by Dirge Humani
Well 79.8% of America is white, and everyone knows only white people can be racist, so that statistic might be correct.

God damn I hate it when people do that. A black person can beat the shit out of me and the moment I fight back I'm a racist. And no I'm not racist
It's a question brought up by pseudo-intellectual post modern cockbags who go around being as controversial as possible to appear smart, unique and deep.
Quote by Zaphikh
It's a question brought up by pseudo-intellectual post modern cockbags who go around being as controversial as possible to appear smart, unique and deep.

This.

It's an American classic.
Quote by Jackal58
Samuel Clements was not a racist He wrote satire, comedy, social commentary in his time. Don't judge it with a 21st century microscope.

+1 Of course even the most progressive white Americans of Clemen's day were still bigoted by today's standards, but you commit the literary and historical crime of anachronism when you try to hold them accountable by that standard.

Always pisses me off when people get pissed off at this book for having a character called ****** Jim, when people bitch about Freud basically prescribing cocain to some patients, or people being shocked that Poe married his cousin. Part of reading is understanding the cultural contexts of what you're reading.

Edit* I doubt you're getting "really deep" into anything in a class that humors this type of discussion. Let your English teacher know that he or she is a hack.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Dec 2, 2009,
Quote by Zaphikh

Hey, we pseudointellectual postmodern cockbags take offense!

Iconoclasm and irony FTW!
If I threw the book in a segregated all colored garbage can, then it would be considered racist trash.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Whether the book is racist or not didn't matter,
the book was trash anyway.

I don't understand what all the hype about Mark Twain comes from.
Blindfolds aside I'd probably still close my eyes

And try to feel a trembling fetal life inside
that shotgun barrel that's about to make me bleed

Like an ulcer in the stomach of the beast

Quote by Aurex
your sarcasam amuses me

CSUSM
Quote by sneyob
Whether the book is racist or not didn't matter,
the book was trash anyway.

I don't understand what all the hype about Mark Twain comes from.

Personally, I think he's pretty witty.
Quote by Dirge Humani
Well 79.8% of America is white, and everyone knows only white people can be racist, so that statistic might be correct.

Wow. At first I thought you were exaggerating, but according to Wikipedia, it's really around 74%.

I honestly though it was lower.
Quote by slipknot5678
God damn I hate it when people do that. A black person can beat the shit out of me and the moment I fight back I'm a racist. And no I'm not racist

You know what I find so funny is how ironic this comment is. I find it ironic that whenever a topic of racism comes up for a white male on this site it's always a black person as an example of it. I have seen my fair share of racism on this site so don't pull that shit.

I don't think you're racist, I just think you're a idiot.
Last edited by The Arsis at Dec 2, 2009,
American classic. If you think it's racist, you're missing the point.

Also:
Quote by Oscar Wilde
There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written. That is all.
Quote by The Arsis
You know what I find so funny is how ironic this comment is. I find it ironic that whenever a topic of racism comes up for a white male on this site it's always a black person as an example of it. I have seen my fair share of racism on this site so don't pull that shit.

I don't think you're racist, I just think you're a idiot.

Most cries of racism seem to come from black people. So, yeah, there's that.
Huck Finn was presented to the American public as an opposition to literacy polls. That was the satire of the time. Get over it. In the 1880's nobody was burying the word nigger.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by The Arsis
TBH, I think they have reason to speak out against racism. Unlike black people, society pretty much caters to you, follows what you say, and post-colonialization benefited you greatly.

bullshit! i will it admit that it used to, but recently it's been getting flipped around what with all the all the laws getting passed to help prevent discrimination in the workplace. it's started going the other way around. can't complain too much though, we kinda deserve it to some extent.
Quote by The Arsis
TBH, I think they have reason to speak out against racism. Unlike black people, society pretty much caters to you, follows what you say, and post-colonialization benefited you greatly.

Reverse racisim still exists, and if you can't see that occurs also you are the idiot here.

I'd have to say Classic. Then again, I never thought it was to good of a book. If you read it with the proper mind, it really isn't racist, but more the times. I guess you could say that would be racist, but those were the times. A well written book takes you to the time and place, something that book did.
Life is like an Empty Box, there could be something exciting in it at first look, but upon further review, well, it's empty.

Quote by dhutton
bullshit! i will it admit that it used to, but recently it's been getting flipped around what with all the all the laws getting passed to help prevent discrimination in the workplace. it's started going the other way around. can't complain too much though, we kinda deserve it to some extent.

Who passes these laws?
Who enforces them?
Who can remove them?

Ask yourself these questions. I'll give you a hint, they're the majority.

Quote by Empty Box
Reverse racisim still exists, and if you can't see that occurs also you are the idiot here.

I'd have to say Classic. Then again, I never thought it was to good of a book. If you read it with the proper mind, it really isn't racist, but more the times. I guess you could say that would be racist, but those were the times. A well written book takes you to the time and place, something that book did.

Are you an idiot? Did I say there wasn't any reverse racism?

I don't know why I just used the term reversed racism because their is no such thing.
Last edited by The Arsis at Dec 3, 2009,
Quote by The Arsis
Who passes these laws?
Who enforces them?
Who can remove them?

Ask yourself these questions. I'll give you a hint, they're the majority.

the logical answer is white people. i know that. but everyone's so concerned with pleasing everybody and being politically correct it won't ever happen.

besides, your average white american doesn't even vote. if you look at voting statistics it's mostly older people, younger people, and minorities. that is if i remember correctly...

eDit:
Quote by Empty Box

there is no such thing as reverse racism. it's just racism.

just because it's the coming from the opposite direction of what we expect as a society doesn't mean it's "reverse racism"

bigotry has never been exclusively white
Last edited by dhutton at Dec 3, 2009,
I highly doubt Mark was racist...

He however, had an outstanding sense of humor.
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
Quote by The Arsis
I don't know why I just used the term reversed racism because their is no such thing.

Only whites are capable of discriminating against people of other races? How does that work? Are people of other groups literally incapable of feeling racism? Please enlighten me.
Quote by dhutton

You can pass all the laws you want to. Until you no longer hear "stupid nigger" in casual conversation racism is not dead. I hear it daily. It pains me daily.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
You can pass all the laws you want to. Until you no longer hear "stupid nigger" in casual conversation racism is not dead. I hear it daily. It pains me daily.

i do too, but only used by black people. i totally agree with you, i just thought i'd point that out.
Page 1 of 2