Ok, I need an amp that...

I can spend a few hundred bucks on, possibly up to $500
Thus, would probably be solid state (cheap tube suggestions are welcome)
Is portable yet loud enough for full band practice and small gigs
Has an effects loop
Has good, tasty cleans
Has lovely overdrive, like the warm kind of Orange (unfortunately the Crushes don't have FX loop)
Is nothing too complicated (don't need modelling)

SS Fender Frontman 65R?
Valve Peavey Classic 30?

I was also thinking of alternatively getting a tube head (that also needs to fulfill the above requirements) and a 1x10 or 1x12 cab. If I could get that, I was thinking it would be good because I'd be going overseas in a few years and I could easily transport the head and buy another cab over there.

Bugera V55 head?
Blackstar HT5 head?

Thanks, UG.
You can do all tube for that much cash. I bought my Mesa DC-3 for 450 used. Unless you are gonna waste your moeny and not go used..
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
classic 30 is an awesome amp. just got one not too long ago. i love it. you'd have to get it used though. it's 600 new.
Ok, I will definitely try to find places with used stuff, thanks.

Apak, that was $450 for a combo or just the head? Just wondering.

I think I'm starting to like the idea of getting a head now...

So, if I get a low wattage head like 5 watts, will it still be loud enough for a medium sized gig if I get like a 4x12 cab in the future?
Quote by sandyman323
classic 30 is an awesome amp. just got one not too long ago. i love it. you'd have to get it used though. it's 600 new.

+1

I'm thinking about buying another Peavey Classic I loved my old one so much. I also had a chance to play the Bugera V55 awhile back...also another great amp for the money. You can get either one used for around $300...give or take $50 in either direction.