My computer is pretty old and slow, but it does its job. Today I was recording a song of mine, and it lagged so bad in Audacity I wasnt able to finish. What can I do to fix these skips and jumps in time (which Im guessing is lag)? Im doing line in to my computer through a pedal, but its all the program. Any tips?
The skips and jumps are most certainly caused by lag. You're computer isn't able to keep up with the incoming data, so it skips over some of it to catch up, thus leaving you with gaps, clicks, pops and white noise. First off, there's nothing you can do about that after it's been recorded, because what you're hearing back is all the computer was able to capture.

All I can suggest is exiting any unnecessary applications and/or processes whilst recording to try to conserve CPU power.

Aside from that, maybe it's new PC time?
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
Quote by Shredder XXX
The skips and jumps are most certainly caused by lag. You're computer isn't able to keep up with the incoming data, so it skips over some of it to catch up, thus leaving you with gaps, clicks, pops and white noise. First off, there's nothing you can do about that after it's been recorded, because what you're hearing back is all the computer was able to capture.

All I can suggest is exiting any unnecessary applications and/or processes whilst recording to try to conserve CPU power.

Aside from that, maybe it's new PC time?

I have an old PC for that has NOTHING on it but Audacity, Photoshop, and Wordpad. Not even Internet Explorer. The thing is USB 1.0! It runs both programs like a champ though, since the hard drive is almost empty and there's very little bogging it down.

It could be cable quality too. For most devices, the quality of the USB cable doesn't matter a lot. If you use a junk cable to download photos, it just takes longer. For recording though, you should splurge. Oxygen-free cable, gold connectors, all that crap. Anything that makes transder speed even a millisecond faster is worth it, especially if you're multitrack recording.

Back when I had a bunch of stuff on the machine, I had lag issues too. You have no idea how frustrating it is trying to record harmonized leads with lag
Make sure you haven't got loads of programs running. Internet, MSN Messenger, Bit Torrent, i-Tunes and the like, take eveyrthing off other than Audacity and if it's still doing it, you'll either need a new sound card; or use an external soundcard (interface), need more RAM or even more memory and have to update your hard drives.
Thanks. Yeah, Ive really been wanting a computer for just music and recording, the computer I use now is from 2003. Its seen its fair share of programs, viruses, etc. Definitely time. Plus with an old computer, I seem to accumulate a bunch of processes I dont need. I guess its time to find out what I need to get rid of :P.
yea clear out your computer or get a new one
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
I use audacity and the same thing happens. What you have to do is listen to the track you are recording over through headphones and then when they aren't matched, delete silence in the beginning to make them align. I think that is what you were asking.
I am the only sane person on the planet. Does that make me crazy?

Crank the Mids
ASIO

Download ASIO drivers. ASIO4all works with any sound card. Or download ASIO specific drivers if you have a ASIO sound card. I reccommend M-audio for cheap good sound cards. I cannot explain how well this works.

For mixing before opening your DAW set the buffer size to 512 or 1024. Higher means less lag...But for recording you neeed less latency. For recording set lower. This is what makes ASIO awesome. Easy to configure drivers.

I had audacity for a while when I first go into this whole computer recording game. I quickly found out that audacity is really awful. Try getting a hold of adobe audition, it should solve that lag problem. It did for me, and i had the same computer situation as you at the time, it came with windows 98, if that tells you anything. If you PM me I might can hook you up brother.