Hey, I just wanted to know, do your ears have to be ringing to have damaged your ears a bit? I've played drums a few times without earplugs and haven't had my ears ring afterwards once.
Don't expose your ears to extremely loud volumes for more than 25 - 30 minutes at a time. That's when damage slowly occurs. Go to concerts, but know your limits and when to wear ear plugs.
my ears ring somewhat when its very quiet. does anyone else have that? like at nighttime when its dead silent in the house there's a very faint ringing sometimes. its been like that for as long as i can remember, so im not sure if i have very mild tinnitus or whether its normal to have some kind of ringing

EDIT: by faint ringing, i mean BELOW faint, as in if you're not specifically listening for that incredibly quite hum/ring, you wont hear it. im still not sure though, im a little worried that it could develop into tinnitus though.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Dec 3, 2009,
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
my ears ring somewhat when its very quiet. does anyone else have that? like at nighttime when its dead silent in the house there's a very faint ringing sometimes. its been like that for as long as i can remember, so im not sure if i have very mild tinnitus or whether its normal to have some kind of ringing

I get that a lot of the time too... i'm pretty sure it's mild tinnitis

i wear earplugs at concerts nowadays
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

Sometimes when it's quiet our ears can pick up the hum of some electronics.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

I think everyone has it. Once I was reading this book on improving your concentration and part of one of the exercises in it was involved emptying your mind and focusing on "the faint ringing that you hear" even when the world around you is silent.
XIAOXI
Quote by E_squared
I don't think you can do any serious damage by playing un-mic'd drums.

Honestly, please think that answer through. The threshhold for "feeling" of the human ear is 118 dBSPL, and permanent damage is at 140. A light cymbal crash is at 120-125, and a snare hit is around 150. Yeah, they can **** up your ears.
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
Yeah, being in a another room I can "feel" that the TV is on becouse of the verry quite hum noise it makes.
Yup.
Quote by Nickpocalypse
I get that a lot of the time too... i'm pretty sure it's mild tinnitis

i wear earplugs at concerts nowadays

its not. its very normal. in the everyday world, its noisy with TV, traffic, people talking, music playing, etc... so when its completely silent, its normal to hear that bit of ringing.
You have to be careful. You can listen to loud music for hours and be fine, or have one hit of a cymbal and explode your ear drum. If your ears start ringing, try giving them a rest for a bit.
If you start hearing a high pitch screech, DEFINITELY give your ears a rest. If you keep hearing that, go to a doctor ASAP because it's probably tinnitus.
Quote by E_squared
Well damn, how was I supposed to know that?

A simple google search perhaps. Or maybe the common knowledge that prolonged loud noises can damage our ears
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

I get that but it isn't mild. It's really ****ing loud.
Quote by archangels666
I can usually sort of feel a tingling in my throat around 19, then I can really hear it at 18, so I'm around where you are.

I don't hear anything till 16-15K. I assume this is bad.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Yeah that doesn't seem too good.
Listen to your music loudly?

I didn't think so. Probably more to do with jamming and such.
Quote by KeepOnRotting
I didn't think so. Probably more to do with jamming and such.

Possibly.
When I played drums my ears were fine. I'd leave the drumming booth and hear some one plugging in their guitar with the amp on (urg...) and my ear started ringing. I had to leave the room.
Like I said, it's a very random occurrence. Your ears can be damaged by anything, expected or unexpected.
Heard it right after 20. Phew. I was getting scared because on my car stereo when i put it on the same volume now it doesn't seem as loud as it used to be.
Co-President of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM Me, gdm09 or blues_rocker to join.
Quote by Legion(Viktis)
Yeah, being in a another room I can "feel" that the TV is on becouse of the verry quite hum noise it makes.

yeah i experience that to lol, its not even really a sound, its like your body just sort of "knows" that its on. i thought i just had very mild super powers or something
If you hear any sort of ringing when it's silent, then you most likely have tinnitus. A friend of mine who played bass in a band with me for about 3 years, had the same thing, and he was eventually diagnosed with tinnitus.

Might wanna get it checked just to be on the safe side Shinysides!
Day after day, love turns gray. Like the skin on a dying man.

I, feel

Cold as a razor blade
Tight as a tourniquet
Dry as a funeral drum

PSN: Allshalperish
Steam ID: Fiesal

Check out my band!
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

EDIT: by faint ringing, i mean BELOW faint, as in if you're not specifically listening for that incredibly quite hum/ring, you wont hear it. im still not sure though, im a little worried that it could develop into tinnitus though.

My ears have also been doing the same thing for a while now. They probably do that since I've been playing in a band for a little over 2 years, and practices can be quite loud. Also when I listen to my iPod, I like always listen to it loud, since that's the best way to listen to music.

It's probably nothing major, if it starts getting worse, you might wanna get a doctor to look at it or something.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
yeah i experience that to lol, its not even really a sound, its like your body just sort of "knows" that its on. i thought i just had very mild super powers or something

Don't forget that sounds are vibrations that your brain converts into something you can hear.
Hence why you can somewhat feel it but you can't hear it if it's at the right volume. =P
Oh man, I got punched in the ear at what I'm sure was close to full force by some dude in a pit at a show one time. Then, after resting by the PA like a dumbass, I noticed orange fluid leaking from my right ear. That's when I knew my ear was damaged. My hearing in that ear never fully recovered.

edit: There was a ringing/cricket noise constant for about a week.
That ringing is called tinnitus, and is your brain noticing that your ears aren't giving it any reaction at certain frequencies, so it fills them in with phantom noise.

If you get it, you just got hearing damage. Eventually the ringing will always be there. It doesn't usually heal itself after a certain point either.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
Quote by C/ruel
That ringing is called tinnitus, and is your brain noticing that your ears aren't giving it any reaction at certain frequencies, so it fills them in with phantom noise.

If you get it, you just got hearing damage. Eventually the ringing will always be there. It doesn't usually heal itself after a certain point either.

Tinnitus is actually one of the most popular reasons for committing suicide in North America. Be careful, guys.

My uncle has it in one ear and he gets so pissed off with it all the time.

The worst is when I have a cold and I go on a plane. The blockage of pressure in my ears doesn't leave until about a month later. =[
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Tinnitus is actually one of the most popular reasons for committing suicide in North America. Be careful, guys.

My uncle has it in one ear and he gets so pissed off with it all the time.

The worst is when I have a cold and I go on a plane. The blockage of pressure in my ears doesn't leave until about a month later. =[

remember the thread about the metalhead guy who killed himself because his hearing was so damaged that even quiet sounds made it incredibly painful, that really put it in perspective for me man. im not even a metalhead, but my music is always way too loud. i've gotta buy a good set of earplugs before i go to that clapton/beck tour.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
remember the thread about the metalhead guy who killed himself because his hearing was so damaged that even quiet sounds made it incredibly painful, that really put it in perspective for me man. im not even a metalhead, but my music is always way too loud. i've gotta buy a good set of earplugs before i go to that clapton/beck tour.

I must have missed that thread.
Yeah, people can't take it and it's incurable. Sad, really.

You're lucky. Clapton and Beck would be great. I'm guessing the volume won't be THAT high, but it's always good to be safe with earplugs.

I want to see My Bloody Valentine once before I die and they're infamous for having one of the, if not the, loudest shows in history.
=[
i recently had a hearing test, and my hearing was about as good as it can possibly be for someone my age. and thats having never worn earplugs to concerts, and listening to loud music on headphones every day...

hearing degrades naturally over time, if you're worried about it, have a test.

I Animals!!! They're Delicious!!!

...I'm oNly a litTlE CRAzY, BUT A LITtlE GoeS a LOnG WaY...

¿Qué carajo estás haciendo aquí? Lárgate cabrón.