I just put some nice expensive strings on my taylor acoustic and it played great for about a week. Now all of teh sudden it wont tune. The fretted notes are considerably flat than open ones.

I adjusted the truss rod to a more straight position cause it was a little too bent. And I think these newer high end strings pulled my neck too much and now its loose. I can bend notes a half step by pulling on the neck.

So how do I adjust the intonation? Or is that even my problem. Thanks.
UG MISSILE BASE
Fight for the cause!

Quote by RMC06
Donkeyman2341, you are my new god!
Last edited by donkeyman2341 at Dec 3, 2009,
Intonation doesn't just go to hell when you put on new strings, regardless of whether or not the gauge changes a bit. Also, the truss rod has little effect on intonation, so you really had no reason to touch it. I suspect that you may have made a mistake during restringing or the instrument was damaged recently.

Your local guitar store would probably be able to diagnose the issue within minutes. That will be your best bet.
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Dec 3, 2009,

Your local guitar store would probably be able to diagnose the issue within minutes. That will be your best bet.

this
Originally Posted by Twist of fate
I thought the "clean" button was to clean out the inside of the amp automatically, so I never pressed it.

Originally Posted by DjBrandenburg
pedals are stupid
Quote by donkeyman2341
I just put some nice expensive strings on my taylor acoustic and it played great for about a week. Now all of teh sudden it wont tune. The fretted notes are considerably flat than open ones.

I adjusted the truss rod to a more straight position cause it was a little too bent. And I think these newer high end strings pulled my neck too much and now its loose. I can bend notes a half step by pulling on the neck.

So how do I adjust the intonation? Or is that even my problem. Thanks.

Am I the only one who sees something horribly wrong here?
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by captivate
Am I the only one who sees something horribly wrong here?

I didn't even want to acknoledge that.

TS, go to a guitar shop. They'll fix it.
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Dec 3, 2009,
Quote by GC Shred Off
Also, the truss rod has little effect on intonation, so you really had no reason to touch it. I suspect that you may have made a mistake during restringing or the instrument was damaged recently.

Well the strings got progressively higher off of the fretboard as it went up the neck. By the 12th fret is was too high. This only happened after I put the new strings on. By adjusting the truss rod SLIGHTLY, things improved quite a bit, but its still isnt perfect.

I've had the thing for 7 years so I have some idea of what im doing. Ive changed strings many times.

The new strings were slightly higher gauge but not enough to warrant this much damage imho.

I rly think something happened to the neck. Or, it has been happening for a while and this just made it very apparant.
UG MISSILE BASE
Fight for the cause!

Quote by RMC06
Last edited by donkeyman2341 at Dec 3, 2009,
Quote by donkeyman2341
Well the strings got progressively higher off of the fretboard as it went up the neck. By the 12th fret is was too high. This only happened after I put the new strings on. By adjusting the truss rod SLIGHTLY, things improved quite a bit, but its still isnt perfect.

I've had the thing for 7 years so I have some idea of what im doing. Ive changed strings many times.

Does not compute.

The strings are supposed to get higher. It's called neck relief, and without it, your guitar will sound like crap and buzz like crazy.

Quote by donkeyman2341
The new strings were slightly higher gauge but not enough to warrant this much damage imho.

It wasn't damage until you touched the truss rod. If there is any damage, it's your fault, not the strings. Usually, a slight truss rod adjustment is necessary when using higher gauge strings in order to get the relief back to where it used to be. Sounds like you might have broken the truss rod by adjusting it too quickly, too much, or both.

Don't blame the strings. You didn't know what you were doing and should have taken it in to a professional for a set-up. Find someone to look at it anyway, because it might not be broken after all.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
On public transport I furiously masturbate while trying to make eye contact with as many people as possible for as long as possible.
^ Turning too much is a reason for concern.

Too fast should not be an issue unless you're just yanking at the damn thing with sheer brute force.

With the truss rod, you turn as much as you need until it's at the right spot. Needing a "settling period" is actually quite rare, or so I've been told by a few guitar techs. And if it does change afterwards and settles, you just turn it till it's where you want again.

But seriously... TS, are you yanking at you neck to bend the notes a half step? If that's the case, your guitar's neck would be seriously messed up regardless of whatever else you were doing to it.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
It sounds to me like one or more of the bolts that secure the neck to the body may have gotten loose. Check them out before you spend any money on repairs.
Quote by i_don't_know
Does not compute.

The strings are supposed to get higher. It's called neck relief, and without it, your guitar will sound like crap and buzz like crazy.

I'm talking higher than usual, than its always been.

Quote by i_don't_know
It wasn't damage until you touched the truss rod. If there is any damage, it's your fault, not the strings. Usually, a slight truss rod adjustment is necessary when using higher gauge strings in order to get the relief back to where it used to be. Sounds like you might have broken the truss rod by adjusting it too quickly, too much, or both.

Nothing is damaged, just a minor intonation problem. Also, I'm not blamin the strings, im just pointing out an observation i have made as to hopefully get help, not attitude.

Quote by i_don't_know
Don't blame the strings. You didn't know what you were doing and should have taken it in to a professional for a set-up. Find someone to look at it anyway, because it might not be broken after all.

I only tightened the truss rod a 1/2 turn total, going 1/4 at a time and allowing for a 10 minute setting period. As I said, it helped significantly.

Quote by captivate

But seriously... TS, are you yanking at you neck to bend the notes a half step? If that's the case, your guitar's neck would be seriously messed up regardless of whatever else you were doing to it.

By pulling, I mean when you are fretting chords and you put tension on the neck and can hear it bending the pitch of the notes slightly.

Quote by milagroso
It sounds to me like one or more of the bolts that secure the neck to the body may have gotten loose. Check them out before you spend any money on repairs.

Thank you for an actual solution, i will check this out.
UG MISSILE BASE
Fight for the cause!

Quote by RMC06