Christmas is almost here and i'm in need of a new amp. I need something that can go louder than a drum kit for full band practices. Iv'e been looking around and have found a few amps. It has to be around $400 - $500, have decent effects (although i'll just use a pedal if it doesn't) and be quality (unlike the piece of shit Behringer V-ampire i own at the moment).

Line 6 Spider 3 30watt Combo - http://www.billyhydemusic.com.au/shop/view/2833/line-6-spider3-30-w-combo/
Iv'e seen alot of people saying that Spiders are terrible and to stay away from them

Roland Cube 30watt
The lead guitarist in the band i'n has one of these and it's loud enough to be heard over the drums, so if all else fails i'm getting this.

Does anyone have any suggestions/advice?
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

I play a Schecter

Quote by Iriathz
I love you.
Have all my life's future earnings.

Quote by Lt. Shinysides
Just how loose is your urethra?

Quote by shavorules42
I have a 6 inch gauge in it, so I can cockdock so I'd say loose enough.
Not really.
If you dont care about tone and want some br00talzz distortion that sounds completely sterile, like a hospital, the spider is your amp!
Otherwise, run my friend, RUN AND HIDE!
My gear so far:

-Cort KX5 (pearl white)
-Crybaby Wah
-Danelectro Cool Cat
-Fender Twin Reverb 65' Reissue
-Hardwire TL2
if you search used I bet you can find a Peavey XXX or 5150/6505 combo for that price....I'm assuming you play metal? Hopefully? haha
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
I play alot of stuff, the band plays progressive metal. Iv'e never had any luck with online buying like ebay or amazon and to be honest i'd rather something brand new. I'll look around my local area for second hand amps but i doubt ill find anything

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

I play a Schecter

Quote by Iriathz
I love you.

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

Quote by shavorules42
Not really.
Quote by Drift king77
I play alot of stuff, the band plays progressive metal. Iv'e never had any luck with online buying like ebay or amazon and to be honest i'd rather something brand new. I'll look around my local area for second hand amps but i doubt ill find anything

Progressive metal doesn't really tell us much. Take a look at Mastodon, Dream Theater, Meshuggah, Opeth, etc - they all have very different and very unique tones.

Is there a particular band that has a similar tone to what you're after?
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Progressive metal doesn't really tell us much. Take a look at Mastodon, Dream Theater, Meshuggah, Opeth, etc - they all have very different and very unique tones.

Is there a particular band that has a similar tone to what you're after?

Hmm, well were going for a BTBAM kinda sound, with Opeth cleans, kinda like the stuff off Damnation?

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

I play a Schecter

Quote by Iriathz
I love you.

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

Quote by shavorules42
Not really.
if you wanna go new look at the peavey vypyr 30 should definately do the high gain sounds better than the others

also isn't new the new peavey 6505 1x12 combo within that price range?
Gear
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400 White
Line 6 Flextone III+
Line 6 Spider III 120 (for sale £90)
Save for the 6505 1x12. A 30W will never get over a drummer and sound any better than rhinoceros ass. The 6505 will do it without breaking a sweat. More distortion than you need, more volume than you need, and headroom to spare. Don't screw yourself into a cheapass amp if you've got the money for something better.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Quote by Drift king77
Line 6 Spider 3 30watt Combo - http://www.billyhydemusic.com.au/shop/view/2833/line-6-spider3-30-w-combo/
Iv'e seen alot of people saying that Spiders are terrible and to stay away from them

Roland Cube 30watt
The lead guitarist in the band i'n has one of these and it's loud enough to be heard over the drums, so if all else fails i'm getting this.

Does anyone have any suggestions/advice?

Really? Drummer must be a weakling.
Quote by Ishiga
Save for the 6505 1x12. A 30W will never get over a drummer and sound any better than rhinoceros ass. The 6505 will do it without breaking a sweat. More distortion than you need, more volume than you need, and headroom to spare. Don't screw yourself into a cheapass amp if you've got the money for something better.

Yeah i think i'm going to go with the Peavey. It's only $644 AUD, so i'll just save my pay for a few weeks to make up the difference. I saw on Google that it's coming out soon? Is it already out or when is it coming out?

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

I play a Schecter

Quote by Iriathz
I love you.

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

Quote by shavorules42
Not really.
Its out already, but I think its back ordered.

Quote by forsaknazrael
Really? Drummer must be a weakling.

You can hear a 30 watt solidstate over the drummer? How close are you standing to the amp?

Either your drummer lacks strength or you're not aware how soft you are to audiences.

I've not heard Opeth's Damnation, but you'd want to be aware that the 5150+/6505+ amps aren't famed for their clean.

Yes the cleans of the 6505+ is much better than most on UG give it credit for, and its definitely much much better than the cleans on the 5150, but it still isn't exactly famed for its clean tones.

Try out the 6505+ head to see if the cleans suit you before you make the plunge. If you are happy with the cleans, the 6505+ combo is a great amp for the brootalz.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Dec 3, 2009,
Quote by Drift king77
Yeah i think i'm going to go with the Peavey. It's only $644 AUD, so i'll just save my pay for a few weeks to make up the difference. I saw on Google that it's coming out soon? Is it already out or when is it coming out?

Peavey? The 6505 on the clean channel is bad.... I mean, you might be able to get DECENT out of it, but not great. Kinda like.... You buy a distortion amp for the cleans, set that up, got something nice, and then your left with probably not what you want for distortion.
Quote by Ishiga
A 30W will never get over a drummer and sound any better than rhinoceros ass.

Just pointing out - as far as pure volume goes 30 watts is enough for any application, ever. Tonal considerations aside - for tech. metal, he probably doesn't want the power amp overdrive.

I would consider the 6505 as suggested - but you might consider, say... A Line6 Flextone, a used Carvin V3, or a Crate Blue Voodoo if you can find one.
Quote by Flying Couch
Just pointing out - as far as pure volume goes 30 watts is enough for any application, ever. Tonal considerations aside - for tech. metal, he probably doesn't want the power amp overdrive.

I would consider the 6505 as suggested - but you might consider, say... A Line6 Flextone, a used Carvin V3, or a Crate Blue Voodoo if you can find one.

Not at all.. With my drummer I'd never get over him. 30W SS would be very borderline for practice uses and I wouldn't gig with one in case you get lost in the mix too quickly
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

you will struggle to get 30w SS over a drummer at performance levels....30w tube will get over a drummer fine. 15w tube will get over a drummer just fine. I would look for a used ultra or XXX...or look into a B-52 AT-series new. Both will have the cleans and distortion you need.
For all the tube guys out there - Yes they sound better, but it's fairly expensive to retube them. I'd consider the Vypyr 30 or 60. Also, I used to have a 15 watt SS crate practice amp. Covered the drummer with a decent way to go, and that guy was hitting pretty hard.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by FrustratedRocka
For all the tube guys out there - Yes they sound better, but it's fairly expensive to retube them. I'd consider the Vypyr 30 or 60. Also, I used to have a 15 watt SS crate practice amp. Covered the drummer with a decent way to go, and that guy was hitting pretty hard.

The vypyr 60 is a tube amp.

And re-tubing an amp once a year is worth every penny for the difference in sound.
Quote by FrustratedRocka

Do you own a tube amp? You don't need to replace the tubes every year.
You can get a Vypyr 60 within your budget. Its all tube and has loads of effects.

Or you could get a a vypyr 75(ss) and the sanpera 2 footswitch for 500.
My Gear
Cube 30
Sx Strat

My Future Gear:

Laney Cub 10 Ibanez RG350EX GT-10
Vypyr 30 Cort X-TH Ibanez TS9
6505+ Dlux Players Strat Hotplate
JSX Standard Tele Cases
TSL100 Dean Razorback 7 Stands
Dlux Reverb Dean From Hell Stuff...
I've literally used my 2 watt, solid state, Roland Micro Cube at practice, ran it though the PA and was fine (obviously). We're all forgetting that we can mic or line out amps through the PA.
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
Quote by SimplyBen
Not at all.. With my drummer I'd never get over him. 30W SS would be very borderline for practice uses and I wouldn't gig with one in case you get lost in the mix too quickly

SS, sure. He was talking about the 6505, though - toobz.
To clear up a few things: The 30W SS will come out loud enough to get over a drummer. But you'd get a wall of unclear noise unless it's a 30W 2x12, which the chances of a 30W SS 2x12 even existing, much less being affordable, and worth it mind you, is very unlikely. A 30W SS 1x12 will get muddy and break out into pure feedback and noise coming out over a drummer for sheer lack of headroom. A tube's got much more headroom and can handle its' wattage much more efficiently and louder than a SS. I'm getting a 20W tube mini-half stack soon and will be gigging with that if given the chance.

NEXT.

Mic'ing or running through a PA is great and solves all wattage / power issues. Definitely encouraged, unless you have a 20W+ tube stack, which is the only case where cranking it will be loud enough and sound okay. BUT. That's all granted he has a PA system to run it through, in which he wouldn't be asking for an amp with the standalone power to get over a drummer. And if he had a PA, he wouldn't be looking at 30W amps, as I'd assume he had the money for the PA to begin with and therefore had money for a decent amp. Not that that's always the case, but if he has a set up PA system for practice, I'd hope he knows what he's talking about as far as amplification goes, or that PA won't last.

CONSENSUS:
20-30W minimum+ tube amp, or 75W+ solid state, preferably stacked or 2x12 if you want to still sound good over a drummer without getting screwed into the mix without a PA. I'd vote either 6505+, Peavey Valveking (Definitely put a vote towards this one after having played one today), or PA system with a small but nice amp.

Go into a GC and try some f*cking loud amps. See which one's for you, and save. You gotta try em first though, otherwise you won't know what you're getting yourself in to. The guys at GC can also show you how to properly operate a tube amp without risking blowing your tubes out.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Personally i don't like trying to hear myself through the foldback. I always mic up my amp (even when my 100W marshall jcm900) at gigs but that is just to make it easier to mix but I don't put it through the foldback so I can hear it myself. I just turn it up loud enough to hear it straight off the amp. When rehearsing I don't mic it at all, there's no point because the mix doesn't have to be perfect, we just turn up the amps so we can hear each other. A 30w ss amp would never get over the drummer without sounding like crap unless your drummer plays with brushes.
I think you are wise saving up for an amp like a 6505 or some other decent tube amp (at least 50W). There are a lot of alternatives out there, just try some.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If you want a loud amp with a bunch of noisy effects to play with, you can get a 2x12 150 watt Line 6 for 500 bucks
Maybe try out a Randall RG 50 TC (50 tube watts). I've never tried them but i think they are metal amps.
Randall does a good job with metal. Don't have much personal experience with em but the few I have played sounded pretty good. Not mind blowing, but not Spider 15W either.
Quote by fly135

I figured it out.