hey i went to play my guitar the other day and it was realy untuned.
so i tuned it and by the time i played it was out of tune.
it was in drop c and drop b tuning about a month ago but my mate changed it back and was good for for 3 weeks or so and yea.
ive looked it up on the net what it could be i found
loose machine heads - checked them theyre not.
old,newor crap strings -they are 3 week old d'addario standard stings.
string slippage - they are on right .
and also got the new strings will untune as they need time to strech - they are three weeks old.
so anyone have any idea's and how i could fix .
is it your intonation by chance? hit a 12th fret harmonic and then fret the 12th fret and play that note...they should be the same...check with a tuner
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
It could be that when you, or whoever, drop tuned it, you just unwound string which would mean the strings need to be treated like new strings. Wound/tuned, tugged on, and tuned again. Two or three times and it should be fine.
Check it again, then if it needs to be tuned again, do it. Then if it's out of tune once again(like way out of tune) I don't know
Yes, I'm from California, yes I like Hockey, no I do not like the Ducks, yes I like the Kings!
Quote by pyro_boi343
and to chuckmehh i use a tuner and by the time i go to play it its out of tune

yeah but that doesn't solve anything about the intonation of your guitar. If the intonation is off anything you play will sound wrong even if it is "in tune" based on open strings.
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Quote by littlephil
But intonation wont make the guitar go out of tune, which is the problem.

ahhhh I see what he's saying. I took it to mean it was in tune based on the tuner, but out of tune when he played it even though the tuner said it was in tune. But if it's just completely going out of tune, you are correct in saying it's not intonation.
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
well yea the temp changes every day is pretty much tiff but not like every hour. but the problimb is i tune it and then go to play and is realy bad and then i check the tuner and its usualy moves down to about step down or so.
you tuning pegs may be bad, not necessarily loose just not a good brand in general and they may have worn out from the changes from drop b to c and so on, unlikely but possible. My advice check all the things that help keep the guitar in tune, maybe try some different tuners, or maybe you just received a bad set of strings and should pick up a new set
Gear
Schecter Hellraiser
Custom Built Les Paul
Ibanez Rg5ex1
line 6 DI-silver
Bugera 6260
line 6 spider ii

To Set The Ocean On fire

Quote by classicrocker01
You know you're addicted to gear when you've had more guitars than girlfriends
What kind of guitar are we dealing with? If its a vintage style trem and your trying to do divebombs on it then its not gonna stay in tune. If its an economy guitar they dont tend to stay in tune so well. A quality guitar w good tuners should stay in tune tho.
Quote by Tackleberry
What kind of guitar are we dealing with? If its a vintage style trem and your trying to do divebombs on it then its not gonna stay in tune. If its an economy guitar they dont tend to stay in tune so well. A quality guitar w good tuners should stay in tune tho.

+1 check that if it' a trem bridge, that the bridge is balanced.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
its an ibanez grg i dont use the whammy on it much no songs i learn realy use it and none of my 6 string songs use it so i just take it off
I you have an RG with a floating trem it should have a locking system on it. Your strings shouldn't really go out of tune much. Check your springs in the back and make sure they're not rusted or stiff.
yeah just stretch out the strings for a bit, then tune it, they have new pressure on them since it was tuned down for so long.
Here is a big one... check your nut, it sounds like the strings may be binding. This happens alot if you have changed tuning dramastically such as switching from Drop C to standard E or going from Super Slinkies to say Heavys. This could explain why your having trouble getting it to stay in tune. A bit of advise I learned was take a pencil and take some sand paper to the graphite. Then rub the graphite in the string groves on the nut. It's like a poor mans graphite nut, basically all the graphite does is lubricate the nut to avoid binding!
Last edited by TheMooseKnuckle at Dec 3, 2009,
what gauge strings are you using? lower gauge strings will go out of tune easier in lower tunings than if you used higher gauge strings
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by TheMooseKnuckle
Here is a big one... check your nut, it sounds like the strings may be binding. This happens alot if you have changed tuning dramastically such as switching from Drop C to standard E or going from Super Slinkies to say Heavys. This could explain why your having trouble getting it to stay in tune. A bit of advise I learned was take a pencil and take some sand paper to the graphite. Then rub the graphite in the string groves on the nut. It's like a poor mans graphite nut, basically all the graphite does is lubricate the nut to avoid binding!

did you make that word up? I like it haha Drastically and dramatically in one
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
A quick google reveals the GRG is an economy guitar. Most reviews say it doesnt stay in tune well especially with any use of the trem. Blocking the trem and not using it along with a good set of replacement tuners could solve your problem.

I can keep my squier w stock tuners in tune, BUT I know better than to use the trem, its blocked anyways. And it has nice tusq nut in it.
as i said earlyer on that when i changed it back to standard i got new strings. the strings are 3 weeks old and worked good for about two weeks oviously dont need to be stretched. and it dosent have a locking system and ive never had a problimb keeping it in tune b4. and also said tht i dont use the whammy ive taken it off. but even if it had problimb staying in tune it wouldent go out of tune within about a min.
Last edited by pyro_boi343 at Dec 3, 2009,
I'm so angry that you didn't say what the guitar was in the first post that I'm gonna disregard the whole of the rest of the thread and assume you have a shitty guitar and don't know anything.

Sorry I'm tired it's late. Having read the thread I have confirmed that you do in fact have a shitty guitar. The main problem with keeping that guitar in tune is the guitar. No Ibanez Gio is gonna stay in tune, ever.
Is the place you are at humid? It'll probably be your guitar's wood is drying out. You should probably look into buying locking-tuners. I would recommend Sperzels.
Laslow i know that its a cheap guitar but it is good ive never had any problimbs and then one day i go to play it its out of tune. so i tune it go to play outa tune check on the tuner all the srtings are about a half step down. but the thing is i was playing it the night be4 even and it was going good until i went to play it the next day.
Make sure the strings are properly stretched out, tune it, play it for half an hour, repeat, tune again, then tighten the screws in your tuning pegs so they're harder to turn.

Or buy a new guitar.
ill try that if that dont work ill take it to the rockshop or music works or somethin and ifd they cnt help then ill have to buy a new one yay lol but o crap at the same time
Make sure if it is a floating bridge that you cross tune it. If you don't balance it out, it will go out of tune straight away or won't even go in tune.
Quote by pyro_boi343
its an ibanez grg i dont use the whammy on it much no songs i learn realy use it and none of my 6 string songs use it so i just take it off

even if you unscrew the bar, the bridge is still a trem.

if you havent already, you need to go into the trem cavity in the back, make sure you max out the springs in there.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
yea i fixed it lol thanx for all the help i just tightent the screws in the back of it as far as they would go lol and it worked thanx all
Quote by chuckmehh
did you make that word up? I like it haha Drastically and dramatically in one

LMAO, yes... I'm glad you liked it. I didnt think that drastic had enough umph behind it on it's own