My bands lead singer is starting to come down with Lead Singers Disease (LSD).

Our band is going to be opening for Know Lyfe and For the Fallen Dreams December 20th so we've decided that we needed some heavier music, just to kind of fit in (although we've been planning this for awhile, this has put us into overdrive mode) he seems to think because of this we're instantly a "scene band".

While we were practicing the new songs he was working on lyrics for one of them. When we asked what they were, he said them and our drummer pointed out something. He instantly became defensive saying that "he was writing poetry" like every word that comes out of his mouth is nothing but pure lyrical genious.

He also seems to think that he's an excellent singer and possibly one of the best screamers, when someone says something about his singing or screaming or even mentions a screamer who's amazing (like Trevor from TBDM) he'll try to bring them down.

To sum it all up, my bands lead singer is extremely cocky about his voice and lyrics and if he doesn't get his way he'll start making a fuss out of it and he thinks he knows everything.

How do we snap him out of this day dream of his before he goes off too far?
(\__/)
(='.'=)Help the Bunny
(")_(")
you should all get together and tell him about it. if he blows it off then look for a new singer
kick him in the nuts, or out of the band.
he wont change, he will get worse and worse... eventually reaching the axle rose level of being a dick
If you know another good singer kick him out.
If not, deal with it. Imperfect vocalist is better than no vocalist.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
say something to the effect of: stop acting like a **** or you're going to be doing this gig A Capella
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by justinb904
say something to the effect of: stop acting like a **** or you're going to be doing this gig A Capella

Before we asked him to be our vocalist he would go on Newgrounds and (with permission) put vocals on songs and upload them onto myspace under the band name Philosophers Apple.

Prolly pointless to say but I find this a bit funny cus without us this is exactly what he would be doing.
(\__/)
(='.'=)Help the Bunny
(")_(")
Sounds to me like a typical singer.

When it comes to his lyrics and ability, he has every right to get a bit defensive about the bands comments. If he's getting a little over the top about it, maybe you should look beyond the band for the source, perhaps he has some issues at home/school/with a relationship that are causing him trouble.

Basically the point is, talk to him about it.

If you ignore it, or band-aid it. He will go full blown Axl on your asses. If you level with him, he'll show what's really going on which is either A: He's a dick. Or B: He's having some issues but he'll be back to normal soon.

Bands are like all relationships, it's all about communication .
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
AS much as I agree with all of this, here is another point, just to play the devil's advocate:

Some people ARE visionaries. Reading about people like Kurt Cobain or Michael Jackson and a number of other "uber-stars", many of them have this vision in their mind of how things should look, feel, sound, etc., and they are NOT willing to compromise that vision. They KNOW it's great, and they don't want others to screw with it and make it middle-of-the-road. In the end, despite their demanding and stubborn ways of doing things, it becomes clear later that they really were right all along.

.... just to throw something out there....

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by mybandsuks_15

While we were practicing the new songs he was working on lyrics for one of them. When we asked what they were, he said them and our drummer pointed out something. He instantly became defensive saying that "he was writing poetry" like every word that comes out of his mouth is nothing but pure lyrical genious.

Well, without knowing what the singer said and the drummer pointed out, we can't really way in on this at all. I've had people critique my lyrics in a completely clueless way , not realizing they'd completely ruin the main effect of a song if they had their way, and I've had people critique my lyrics in a way that really made the song a lot better. It's all based on context and as far as we know your singer could be right.

That doesn't excuse an all-around defensive attitude that creates hostility, but if he's standing up for some good writing that someone else wants to ruin, that's another story.

Of course I'm more willing to bet it was pretty bad writing and singing since the drummer had to ask what the lyrics were in the first place.