Now that i have a 7 string bass i am looking into playing some more unaccompanied solo bass music. My question is this, im used to playing metal and having my tone be nothing but boosted mids with a little treble and i want a cleaner tone along the lines of Michael Manring (a la Selene type tone minus the fretless). I know that some of his tone has to do with amp choice and i think effects (maybe a little reverb or chorus?) but can anybody help me out with a cleaner/smoother tone?
Ibanez SR 505
Brice Defiant 6 lizardburst (soon to have)
GK 700rbII
GK BXL 4x10
GK BXL 1x15
Boss GT10B (soon to have)
First of all, what amplifier are you currently playing through? The key to a good, clean bass tone is headroom. You need plenty of watts to power your bass without overdriving the speakers. Therefore, if you are playing through a small or somewhat small amplifier, you need to upgrade to a more powerful amp.

Beyond that, set your EQ flat at the volume that you will use when playing, and make minor adjustments to boost or cut the frequencies as needed. You are essentially "sculpting" a tone. If your amplifier has separate gain and volume controls, go easy on the gain so as not to overdrive the amp.
Quote by FatalGear41
First of all, what amplifier are you currently playing through? The key to a good, clean bass tone is headroom. You need plenty of watts to power your bass without overdriving the speakers. Therefore, if you are playing through a small or somewhat small amplifier, you need to upgrade to a more powerful amp.

Beyond that, set your EQ flat at the volume that you will use when playing, and make minor adjustments to boost or cut the frequencies as needed. You are essentially "sculpting" a tone. If your amplifier has separate gain and volume controls, go easy on the gain so as not to overdrive the amp.

I currently have a 200 watt Acoustic 1x15 combo(it has the perfect metal tone for my band). but i know that that is probably going to kill me. I am in the middle of getting a better/more powerful amp, probably a peavey tour 700(or suggest me a better one for both the tones i want to use). but what frequencies should i adjust to get the really nice smooth tone?
Ibanez SR 505
Brice Defiant 6 lizardburst (soon to have)
GK 700rbII
GK BXL 4x10
GK BXL 1x15
Boss GT10B (soon to have)
You should be able to get a fine clean tone out of that Acoustic B200. The Tour 700 will work well, too. It will certainly have more power. Set your B200 controls at 12:00 and then boost the 150 and 800 a bit. Add more low or high end as you see fit. It really is a matter of just tinkering with your amp, as a good tone is a highly subjective matter. What sounds good to you might not sound good to someone else.
I would've imagined that to get full range of all notes you'd have to have a full stack with a 1x15 and a 4xsomething.
G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow
Ibanez SR305 DX
Washbrun XB100 (modified)
Ibanez SW35

Fender Telecaster (MIM)
Orange Crush 15R

Danelectro Corned Beef Reverb
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
OFT abit but have to ask this: how are a 7-string tunned (normally)

must got a FATass neck
A 7-string bass is usually tuned B-E-A-D-G-C-F. And yes, they have a fretboard the size of an ironing board.